• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Bolt Gun Help

Nikon147

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2020
I currently have a Remington 700 in 308 that will be getting a new Remage barrel thanks to help I got here.

I have a 6ARC Precision AR, and a 223 Precision AR.

I now want a nicer Bolt Gun. I've been going back and forth about what to get.

Last night I was set on an MPA PMR Pro, however the idea of building my own rifle on a nicer action is appealing as well.

Budget for a full rifle is 2500-3000 or under 2000 for just an Action and Barrel. Optic cost would be separate, and I have that figured already.

The intended use would be mostly bench shooting, with some PRS thrown in (I realistically only have the time to shoot a couple matches a year). Has to take pre-fit barrels of some form, and I prefer the R700 footprint.

There are so many actions out there to choose from, and so many options overall, I'm getting lost in the details.

Another thing I'm debating is the chamber....6.5CM is probably easier to purchase factory ammo, but with a 6ARC in the stable, I'm thinking reloading would be simpler being able to load the same 6mm projectiles for both, but with the Primer situation, that's not a realistic short term issue to worry about, but more of a long term thought.

I'd welcome suggestions to help me wade through the options.

TLDR: want new higher end bolt gun....getting lost in options....kicking around an MPA PMR Pro, or building around a barreled action. Looking for thoughts on Building a high end action vs buying an PMR Pro. Budget: 2k or so for Action/Barrel or under 3k for a full rifle.

Last edited:
Build it the way you want and don't look back!

Save your pennies and get parts that you want, don't compromise.

I promise once you have one built, you're gonna want another!