• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New bolt gun planning stage. Thoughts?

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
I have been cleaning off the bench and cleaning out the safe. Some of the proceeds are going to a new build. Here is what I am thinking so far

Rem 700 or Mod 70
Jewell Trigger
Manners stock ( the chassis system) USO ( I have always wanted one)
Seekins mounts
I am torn between 280AI and 7saum. My thoghts are if you really need a long action to get the 7saum to perform, you might just as well go with a LA and the 280AI. This will be my do it all rifle, paper to fur.
Thoughts?

Re: New bolt gun planning stage. Thoughts?

Sounds like a solid setup, what barrel/contour are you planning on going with? Also I really like the Manners chassis system, my next build will have one for sure.

Here are some words or wisdom from my actual experiences

Jewell trigger- very nice if they don't break, mine broke and have 2 other buddies who also took a shit in the field.

Catridge selection- both of your choices are good ones, however the 284 is a better all around cartridge imho. It feeds like butter out of bdl and even more valuable aics 300wm mags flawlessly. it also has better brass selection.

Optics- USO are nice but for an all around rifle they are quite heavy and none of the 5 i have owned had the glass quality of premier or s&b's i have owned. If you want a custom optic they are your choice but i would for sure pick a s&b or hensoldt first.

If i could only own one rifle and it was going to be a la it would be trued 700, manners msc-ta 90%cf, mini chassis, 284 26" 9 tw benchmark med palma fluted, tuned rem trigger. it would weigh around 10lbs and be capable in a match or lrh.

These are just my opinions and they damn sure aren't to be taken for anything else. to each there own. i encourage you to hook up with some guys from here and try out there gear before you spend the $5k+ this combo is going to cost you.

Thank you. I do want to get behind a Manners or AICS prior to buying. This rifle will go to the range and to the woods. I was thinking of maybe a #4 or #5 contour after I computed the total weight. It is going to ttake the place of my 223, my 243, my 308 and my 06. I appreciate all the info. Weight is an issue, as I am not getting any younger. I have Lupie's on most of my rifles now because I think NF weighs too much, I guess that would be the same for USO. I love S & B glass too. Can you get the heavier bullets going fast enough with a 284? That is one caliber that I have overlooked I guess. Thanks again

my last 284 would push the 162amax to 3015fps and the 180 berger just over 2800 is that fast enough for you.

I also think the leupold mark 4 4x14x50 with tmr is a great all around optic, reasonable price, great reticle, lightweight, tons of elev. adj., good light gathering.

That is fast enough. I have a Lupie Mark 4 4 X 14 X 40 TMR and I love it. Was your 284 a SA ? Did you have room in the mag for the 180's? Thanks