• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New bolt rifle build have a couple questions

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
Ok so im needing a new rifle, ive been looking at buying a savage 110 338lm, I already own a 300wsm, 308, 22-250, and some various others. My question is, is there anything that can perform as far as distance with the 338lm besides the other 338 calibers?

I thought about a 300 wm but since i own the wsm is there any real advantage to the winmag?

Im not looking for a odd caliber no 6.5x284 or anything like that, mainly would like to be able to buy ammo at a store if im not going with the 338 lm. Any ideas guys?

Re: New bolt rifle build have a couple questions

If you want off the shelf ammo, no, not really, well the 50BMG.

For all the claims of short mags being as good as fullsize magnum rounds they are not. The differences are less obvious with factory loadings. Heavy bullets can be pushed faster in the WM than the WSM.

There's allot of impressive non factory chambered/loaded rounds out there. Most rounds, including the 300WM, launching heavy projectiles at high velocity are barrel burners though. Nothing's free.

7WSM or 300Norma mag. Those are the only 2 I'd spend money building. I got nothing for 300WM. If I'm going .30 then its going to really get the job done...300Norma Mag.

I agree with Tango Down the 7 wsm and 7 rsaum are great lighter recoil, high bc calibers. Then the 300 norma with the 230 gr bergers would do well(having a hard time not building one of these).

Thanks guys, I think i will go with the 7mm wsm, i found a donor rifle, win70 7wsm for 230.00 at a local pawn shop and even comes with a very "high" end as the guy put it, mil-dot nc star scope hahahaha