• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Boomslang 50 degree lens- testing

Lowdown3

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2020

Got our first shipment of Boomslang lenses in Friday.

I've been saving two tubes that were nearly identical specifically for testing these lenses. We installed them in PVS14s for this test.

Data on the tubes-

*System 0321966 has a resolution of 76, SN of 32.2 and Ebi of 1.36 A standard Carson kit with "Carson" (Fujinon) glass was used
*System 0321967 has a resolution of 76, SN of 32.2 and Ebi of 1.44 A standard Carson kit was used however the "Carson" glass was removed and Boomslang lenses were used (Obj & Eyepiece)

Both tubes are Elbit Systems of America VH grade WP 11769 format.

How we did the testing-

We started with a measured distance from similar objects. At our range we put two exact same size target backers the exact distance from each other.

IMG_4006-3141444.jpg

We measured to be sure each backer was the same distance from each other on the target racks.

We then set up two shooting tripods and again measured to be sure the distance was the same from each target backer to the tripod where the 14s would be placed.
IMG_4008-3141449.jpg

So the idea was to compare two almost identical tubes at the same exact distance from the target backers which were checked to be sure they were the same distance apart.

IMG_4011-3141454.jpg

Shows the two tripods in place and waiting for the sun to go down.....

We put paper targets on each backer (backers were used recently for a class and we didn't want any confusion) and marked each target with a number- 1 through 4. This was done in pair via lining one tripod up with the center of targets 1 and 2 and the other tripod lined up with the targets marked 3 and 4.

NOTE- our PVS14 to Iphone camera adapter evidently broke recently, I was able to hold the camera adapter and Iphone up to the eyepiece, any distortion of the normal circular view is ME trying to hold it up and get a good pic.

First up is the PVS14 with standard PVS14 "Carson" glass-

IMG_4018-3141458.jpg

Next is the PVS14 with the Boomslang 50 degree FOV lenses-

IMG_4022-3141459.jpg

Next we moved the PVS14 with the Boomsland 50 degree FOV lenses to the tripod that held the regular 14- which previously was centered on targets marked 3 and 4

IMG_4021-3141466.jpg

The above pic is a better representation than the first pic, again due to ME holding the camera adapter up to the eyepiece.

We then placed each unit on the same tripod individually. Looking back towards the back of the square range area, I tried to place the right edge of the FOV of each lens on the front tire of the Ranger for a better idea of how the view opens up at a little more distance. This is roughly 25 yards.

First the PVS14 with standard lenses-

IMG_4027-3141470.jpg

Next the PVS14 with the Boomslang lenses with the same angle, same tripod facing the Ranger

IMG_4025-3141473.jpg

Spent another 20-30 minutes walking around the range with the PVS14 with the Boomslang lenses.

I will be adding these lenses to a couple of my personal dual tube sets also, will report back more after using them more in duals.

We will make these an add on feature to any PVS14 or dual tube set we offer in the near future. Cost is close to $1,000. for a set of Obj/Eyepiece lenses. Will have some available for sale to DIY'ers also.

Reactions: JDB55
Jwramp- you are and will remain.. The Man!!

Thank you sir!

Jwramp- He's too busy Re-Historizing the world of NV now ;)

@Lowdown3
It's difficult for me to tell from the photos but it does seem like the boomslang images aren't quite as sharp as the Carson glass.

A few other vendors that have been reviewing these lenses indicate a drop in sharpness/resolution. Are you finding that to be the case?

Photonis commented here about resolution on a NocturnalityGear Instagram post.

Last edited:
The pics show two different 14s with almost identical tubes, at the same measured distance from the same size objects, measured to be sure they are the same distance apart.

Taken with a crappy Iphone with a broken camera adapter just held up against the eyepiece of each unit.

What do you think? I can't see enough of a supposed decrease to outweigh the greatly increased FOV.

The pics show two different 14s with almost identical tubes, at the same measured distance from the same size objects, measured to be sure they are the same distance apart.

Taken with a crappy Iphone with a broken camera adapter just held up against the eyepiece of each unit.

What do you think? I can't see enough of a supposed decrease to outweigh the greatly increased FOV.
If you don't notice any degradation with your mk1 eyeball that's good enough for me 👍

I'll call you this weekend for sending my Katanas in for LASIK 😆

Reactions: Lowdown3
How's the eye relief on those vs the original eye 40deg eyepiece ?

17mm on the eye relief.
I meant how does it compare in term of eye relief and eye box sensitivity, riding a bike or a atv gets bumpy and while I’d love the eye fov I wouldn’t enjoy smacking my eye on the lenses

The eye relief is a bit better than 17mm. Cold Harbour Supply did a very nice review of the optics on You Tube. And as we reported (commented) on their site, the Boomslangs are designed specifically for the PVS-14. That particular standard housing size (the internal dimensions of the housing) limits what optic designers can do in terms of wider FOV optics. We can design 50 degrees with 25mm eye relief, it just requires a different internal housing design. Therefore, the Boomslangs were designed to provide 50 degrees FOV capability that is backward compatible to almost all PVS-14 type night vision goggles currently in use. There were optical tradeoffs, as noted in the You Tube review, but the end goal was to minimize fisheye distortion, increase light transmissibility, reduce weight, and maintain edge to edge resolution while preserving as much clarity as possible while drastically increasing situational awareness. In terms of eye box sensitivity, a lot depends on your setup and road conditions, however generally speaking the eye relief is comfortable enough for uses such as riding a bike or ATV off road.

Last edited:
Reactions: st1650
I have one on its way. I think it’s worth the trade off.

Reactions: ljstack