• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Browning Tactical rifle platform?

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming
Don't know how many of you subscribe to Gun Tests... a painfully blunt, no ad taking, testing magazine for gun owners BUT...
In the current issue they did a head to head with three 270s.
Browning X bolt, Remington 700 CDL and Savage 114 Classic.

The X bolt just buried the other two shooting sub MOA with 3 factory loads, better trigger than 700, quiet safety, 60 degree bolt lift, quick change rotary magazine, superior fit and finish, smoother action. Rated an "A" grade the other two got a "C".

Seems to me like the X bolt Varmint Stalker in 308 would make a fine out of the box TAC rifle without all the fooling around, time and non-recoverable expense to make a 700 almost as good?

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog...amp;type_id=203

035203l.jpg

Re: New Browning Tactical rifle platform?

I have always been a fan of browning rifles... have been shooting/hunting with the A-Bolt for 13+ years... great guns...

I tried out the xbolt and wasnt a fan.. it just felt like it was all platic and cheap...

I will have to take a look at this one....

Agree.... when I think of the bucks I put into my 244 H&H and 400 H&H 700 builds.....

And the Stainless Stalker comes in 280 Rem that just kills a 308 at long range.

That was sarcasm. Why wouldn't you just get a 700p. Its the same price as this. I have yet to find a 700p that won't shoot moa or way better. You still have a ton of options if you want to upgrade instead of being stuck with what you got. I love my medallions for hunting, but not for a tactical rifle. Just not enough options.

Well lets see: the 700 has a crappy trigger, needs action trued to shoot, gritty bolt throw, 90 degree bolt lift, noisy safety, no removable magazine, weaker extractor...that's why all the options are made.

Why buy a rifle that needs "options" when one is available that does not? What would you want to add to the Varmint model that would make it a better 700 meter rifle than it would be with a good bipod and a Schmidt & Bender 3–12 x 50 PM II Military?

Interesting, I have a 20 year old A-bolt 06' that shoots great despite having a barrel that looks like a rat tail file was dragged through it, but many of the A-bolts I've shot since then have not been impressive in the accuracy department, very hit and miss. The Boss system worked great for those that took the time to adjust them right and realized they did have some limits on bullet weight.

I've played with the X-bolts. The design lines are attractive, but the cheap plastic rotary magazine didn't impress me, and the synthetic stock feels very cheap as well.

If it's accurate GunTests model and they put it in a real tactical stock with an adjustable cheek rest, and set up a better magazine system they might have something.

yeah i think they should have come out with the gun in at least an HS or B&C stock. The magazine doesnt bother me that much since no one will stay with it for a tactical gun, someone will make a "badger type" system that uses AICS mags. Wish they would have published twist rates with the guns.

love browning guns fit and finish are above par.

Remington 770 is a cunt hair better than the 710 they came out with.

KT

They did publish the Twist rates. You just have to click on the individual models underneath. The .308 version has a 1:12 twist.

Also for that money I would rather get a Tikka Varmint or Super Varmint. Much better rifle in my opinion. However, the Browning will probably be an excellent hunting rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">needs action trued to shoot
</div></div>

That's funny, I've yet to shoot a 700P (or LTR) that's not a shooter out of the box.

I'm not a fan of these X-Bolts. The action and trigger aren't bad, but the gun to me feels cheap in my hands, and the stock is a total POS. The do shoot alright, but it's not my cup o' tea. I'll take my 700 thanks.