• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build: 6.5prc or 257 weatherby

stk1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2022
Michigan
I am thinking of building a new rifle on a tenacity la i have.
I like 6.5prc and 257 weatherby. Not sure which to pick. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 101st and Maggot
I am thinking of building a new rifle on a tenacity la i have.
I like 6.5prc and 257 weatherby. Not sure which to pick. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.
jonstewart-eat.gif

The mission determines the gear.

What is the mission? Both have their legitimate niche.

Reactions: Maggot
I would let bullet choice and reamer availability guide my decision

I normally start with what projectile I want to use then pick a cartridge that can get it to the velocity I want with the barrel length I want.

Then you need to see if there are any reamers that are optimized for the bullet choice you want and your reloading practices and magazine lengths

257 weatherby just so the next guy can say 6.5 PRC.

Then the post after that will be mil or Moa

You need at least a 300 Norma Mag for those darn near bullet proof WY deer.

Maybe jump up to the 37 XC

Those dangerous critters are no joke.

That is my dilemma:)
I am a fan of the 7 PRC and I could hunt mule deer in my state with that. Between your two choices, I would lean towards the 6.5 PRC. Possibly more availability but I know some die-hard fans of the .257 Wby, which is also good.

Someone I know personally is still into .25-06 and is pricing Lapua brass for it. So, I get it.

What are the hard specs on each and which is the most important?

I wanted to have the 257 cut faster and for longer pills. I think i could get excellent ballistics thatvway. But i think i could achield excellent ballistics easier with the 6.5prc. Thats my dilemma.

I am a fan of the 7 PRC and I could hunt mule deer in my state with that. Between your two choices, I would lean towards the 6.5 PRC. Possibly more availability but I know some die-hard fans of the .257 Wby, which is also good.

Someone I know personally is still into .25-06 and is pricing Lapua brass for it. So, I get it.

What are the hard specs on each and which is the most important?
7prc is an excellent round and i would consider it but i already built a 300prc on an origins action

Reactions: Ronws
257 bee ftw....
If for no other reason than it being an absolute killing tool. I swear, all you gotta do is wave it at em and they will die...

Reactions: Stevo86
7prc is an excellent round and i would consider it but i already built a 300prc on an origins action
I recently thought about jhaving a .300 PRC from watching Piet on Impact Shooting with his .300 PRC go for about 1.6 km. Center hits to almost 900 meters but the wind started kicking his butt past that.

"Long Range Shooting Manual" was written by Ryan Cleckner, formerly sniper team leader in the Rangers 1/75 for some tours in the GWOT. In service, he shot a .300 WM. From about 500 yards or less, and most engagements were under 300 yards, he could dial elevation for distance and then hold left or right edge of the target zone into the wind and get a hit. To be fair, this is what he called tactical shooting. It was not about a center dot hit or winning points. This was about getting a big ouchie on an enemy agent.

Then, he got into the .300 PRC. It did what the .300 WM did but with less drop. Now he hunts with it and has even expressed a wish that the military would adopt it into their various sniper programs.

I like the 7 PRC because it will take mule deer quite nicely. And, with my cushy recoil and my ASR brake, it feels like a pushy, not jabby, .308 W. Totally comfortable, so you can afford the time to get good and comfortable with it.

I do know that with .300 PRC, recoil management will be key.

look on ammoseek and see pricing, variety and availability of factory ammo for both. i'd think 6.5prc would win in all regards. including brass if you reload.

Reactions: stk1 and Ronws
I recently thought about jhaving a .300 PRC from watching Piet on Impact Shooting with his .300 PRC go for about 1.6 km. Center hits to almost 900 meters but the wind started kicking his butt past that.

"Long Range Shooting Manual" was written by Ryan Cleckner, formerly sniper team leader in the Rangers 1/75 for some tours in the GWOT. In service, he shot a .300 WM. From about 500 yards or less, and most engagements were under 300 yards, he could dial elevation for distance and then hold left or right edge of the target zone into the wind and get a hit. To be fair, this is what he called tactical shooting. It was not about a center dot hit or winning points. This was about getting a big ouchie on an enemy agent.

Then, he got into the .300 PRC. It did what the .300 WM did but with less drop. Now he hunts with it and has even expressed a wish that the military would adopt it into their various sniper programs.

I like the 7 PRC because it will take mule deer quite nicely. And, with my cushy recoil and my ASR brake, it feels like a pushy, not jabby, .308 W. Totally comfortable, so you can afford the time to get good and comfortable with it.

I do know that with .300 PRC, recoil management will be key.
To be honest i use a brake on all my rifles so i can see the impact. There is much said about recoil of a 300 prc and 300 win mag but maybe its just me i just don't get it. I really dont think the recoil is bad. With brake my 300 wm and 300prc are like my 308.
Only time i disliked the recoil was when i had a 300 weatherby accumark with a brake and a 338 lapua magnum. With those 2 rifles the brake only minimally mitigated recoil for me.

Reactions: Ronws
To be honest i use a brake on all my rifles so i can see the impact. There is much said about recoil of a 300 prc and 300 win mag but maybe its just me i just don't get it. I really dont think the recoil is bad. With brake my 300 wm and 300prc are like my 308.
Only time i disliked the recoil was when i had a 300 weatherby accumark with a brake and a 338 lapua magnum. With those 2 rifles the brake only minimally mitigated recoil for me.
One time, I had described my 7 PRC as feeling like an unbraked .308. Some salty person on the spectrum pointed out that mathematically, the recoil on the 7 PRC is more. And yes, by the numbers, it is. 175 gr at 3000 fps > 165gr at 2700 fps. Which is not what I was saying. I was talking about my felt recoil and maybe I was built differently.

But you know how it is. People love to fight. Go ahead and say you like sunny days and someone will come along and tell you what a worthless piece of trash you are for hating on cloudy days. Fortunately, however, that will only happen on days that end in the letter 'y'.

Is this a factory ammo only build or do you reload.

If factory ammo; the easy and less expensive button is obviously 6.5 prc

If you reload; pick whichever you can find better brass for, which will most likely be 6.5 prc

If you just want to be told to pick 257 wby because you want something oddball and cool; obviously the 257 wby is the only answer