• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Build 6BR or 243win?

C Snyder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2007
OK
I have all of the parts in hand or on order and am debating between chambering in a 6BR or a 243win. I will be running an AICS 2.0 stock on an RSR action with 27" H&S 10X barrel. even though I am setting it up as a tactical rig it will see more paper punching or varmit use than anything else. any opinons on anyone who may have run both calibers would be appricated.

I will be posting pics of the build in progress also.

thanks

Re: New Build 6BR or 243win?

6br very accurate and good barrel life. Shooting the 107 or 115 it will make it to a l000. Draw back is feeding issues out of a mag. The reliability is not that great. It has to do with the shoulder angle.

243 with the same bullets is amazing, half the barrel life but no feeding issues.

Both can be very accurate. It usually always comes down to a compromise. and compromise I mean performance over barrel life. If it dose not matter go with the hot rod.

Just like cars, it cost money to go fast, and it cost a lot more to go Faster!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willys46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just like cars, it cost money to go fast, and it cost a lot more to go Faster!
</div></div>

There's always someone going faster for cheaper, and looking better doing it!

I'm in the middle of a 243 build right now and was in the same debate a few months ago. I chose the 243.

I vote the 6mm br if you are after accuracy. not saying that the 243 isn't accurate because of course it can be but the 6mm br is one of the easiest cartridges I have ever handloaded for, get an 8 twist barrel start at 29gr of varget or rl 15 and any 105ish grain bullet and before you know it you will be shooting under 1/2moa. The 6mmbr will last longer and won't heat up as fast, plus if you don't like it you can always ream it out to 243 later. Try the 6mm br it is a fun little round to shoot relatively no recoil very accurate all in a tiny little package.

Did you see the article on the 6BRX? Looks like you can squeeze a bit more performance out of that case..

How do you plan on shooting the rifle? If it's mag fed Practical Precision hard to beat a 243 or 260.

Since you are going to use an AICS it would be easier to go 243. There is an article in 6mmbr.com on how to mod, the magazine for 6mmbr. I just finished a 26" 1-8 twist project in 6br. It shoots everything well. Its a tough choice, good luck to you.

6 BR or even better 6 Dasher. Feeding issues are over blown. I've got two 6 Dasher's and both feed fine. Usually all they need is to have the ejector extended by filing the slot a bit longer, mine took about .035 more to kick the fired round out. Able to push 105 class bullets 3000 fps or better and 87 gr. V-max at 3150 out of a 24" 1 in 7.8 twist barrel. Mine run out of AI mags.

I'm leaning to the 6BR because it is so accurate and the barrel life is almost double of a 243. This will not be a bench gun but somthing that I can shoot the eye out of a knat at 100yds if I want to. (Or at least be able to shot golf balls for fun at 3-4x's that range) I will thread it for my 762SD can because I figure the 6BR would be awsome suppressed in a tactical rig. If I want horsepower I will go to my 300WSM or 7mm WSM. Already have a 308 in an H&S HTR so I have the stand-by tactical rig covered.

Thanks for the input.

You'll like the 6br. I'd go with 223 aics mags with the feed lips opened up imo they work better than the 308aics mags and you'll get 7rds in them.

Just to weigh in....I had the same question and I am doing a build with the same dilema. I chose the .243 because I beleive the brass is much more readily available/cheaper. To counter the barrel life problem, I am having mine melonited. Good reports come from that process.

For practical shooting, I can't hold the difference between the two.

Other than barrel life I can't see a practical difference and prefer the .243 To me it is a toss up and I already had plenty of good brass, equipment set up for reloading .243 I would be happy with either.

having had 6BR I can say the other than better barrel life it has . The recoil is way Less and the barrel heat on a long string is Way less too. The thing is just a pleasure to shoot because it just so Damn Smooth after the trigger pull . It really made a impression on me after running one.
Really luv the 6BR and shooting it But if you are going to run it for Tac. Matches . I would go with .243 just for the 'non-hassle' of Magazine feeding and upping the reliability of feeding when you are under a little pressure and working the Bolt with running .308 parent Case. on the other hand the 6BR is a Varmint Monster if you will be doing more that direction . The 6BR kicks Ass and is by far a more efficient powder burner with it's short powder column.
'You' got a tough decision to make there .

My buddy ordered a aics for the 6br that I sold him. I told him about the percieved feeding issues that I had read about all over. He got the stock in, put in the barreled action and started shooting. He hasn't stopped since. He has not had any hiccups and did nothing to the mag or the feed lips at all. So much so that he has me wanting to get another ai stock to try the other 6br in that I still have left. 105gr bullet at 3k with less powder, less recoil and you have to admit, better accurcy. What is not to like about that. I like shooting the 243 but if the 6br doesn't work out, you can rechamber to the 243.