• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New build - Badger M2008 or AIAW?

jgobbels

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Hoover, AL
I'm looking to have a .260 built and was wondering what your thoughts were with regard to receivers.

Is there any advantage to the Badger or can a builder get the same results out of a current AIAW short action?

Any information would be appreciated-

John~

Re: New build - Badger M2008 or AIAW?

The Badger action is nice, but it is not an AW.

Two things to consider.

One is, do you like the AI stock?

The other is, how much money do you want to spend?

You can probably build a rifle with a Badger action for about half the money and you have a few more options for stocks.

Badger. Build it how you want for half the price.

I've always wanted an AW, but the price now is just beyond ridiculous....

JFG, i have a badger sa and will be in the hoover area around thanksgiving hopefully, if you want ill shoot my number and you can get some hands on it and the AICS stock. If JRose decides he wants to stop being a girl and shoot then there will be a 6.5 CM and 308 Badger shooting at least one of the days around Thanksgiving

Gents,

Thanks for the responses.

Lets say for arguments sake that for this build I already have an AIAW short action that I could use or a Badger action sitting in the box.

I want the AI stock (Already shoot a long action AIAW)-

So if you had both choices what would you build it on?

Thanks again,

John-

deadly0311,

I'll be in Pittsburgh for the Thanksgiving Holiday (That was home until 2008) so I'll miss that opportunity with you guys.

I do appreciate the offer and hopefully we can get together some other time.

John-

If you already have both actions use the AW, donate the BO to me
grin.gif

theoretically speaking, if i had an AW action and Badger action there, i would sell the Badger and go AW, but i think the Badger is every bit as good as the AW action, and you have alot more options when it comes to triggers and such. Also its probably going to be a little cheaper to spin a tube for a Badger than it would be for an AW. JFG we'll get together sometime and run em

Thanks guys, much appreciate the responses.

Is the badger good to go out of the box or will a smith do some work on it. Same thoughts on the AIAW?

deadly0311 - Keep me in mind - Its appreciated~

John~

The Badger is g2g out of the box. just thread and chamber a tube screw it on, and rock it. You will be very pleased with the Badger if you decide to get one, also you will save some money in the process.

I was able to look at one from a distance yesterday at a match and it looked stout.

So many options, so little time and money-

Thanks,

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but i think the Badger is every bit as good as the AW action,</div></div>

How's your firing pin spring doing?

The Badge M2008 is a reverse engineered AI action. I'm not sure if the bug have been worked out yet or not but there have been bugs. At some point I think the M2008 will be viable but I'm not convinced yet.

to be honest 858, it wore out, but the replacement will be here tomorrow. Im not trying to turn this into a loyalty contest between the Badger and AI AW action. My personal view on that is Badger filled a void in the market, but my action is great. I couldnt ask for more out of it, again i understand your stance on wanting to see how it fairs for a while, i agree with you there, but sometimes being on the edge of the blade means you get cut. Marty walked out of a meeting this morning to get my problem taken care of, cant ask for more than that. JFG dont let the spring problem scare you off from the M2008, it was with the first 100 actions i believe, i just happen to have the 75th action they made. From everything ive heard the "Gen 2s" arent having any problems

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to be honest 858, it wore out, but the replacement will be here tomorrow. Im not trying to turn this into a loyalty contest between the Badger and AI AW action. My personal view on that is Badger filled a void in the market, but my action is great. I couldnt ask for more out of it, again i understand your stance on wanting to see how it fairs for a while, i agree with you there, but sometimes being on the edge of the blade means you get cut. Marty walked out of a meeting this morning to get my problem taken care of, cant ask for more than that. JFG dont let the spring problem scare you off from the M2008, it was with the first 100 actions i believe, i just happen to have the 75th action they made. From everything ive heard the "Gen 2s" arent having any problems
</div></div>

I understand your position but the guy asked for some honest feedback and he's getting "all's great" when in fact there have been quite a few problems that no one seams to want to acknowledge. Your firing pin was a single example, how about the guys who bought Gen 1 and Gen 2 actions and have barrels that don't interchange?

The fact of the matter is the BO is a reverse of the AI action and as far as I can tell the bugs are not worked out, at least not in a quantity that even remotely approaches satisfactory in my eyes. There are tons of custom actions on the market to choose from, why choose the one with teething problems? The BO doesn't really fill a hole in the market unless you think the 60 degree bolt lift is so important that reliability is worth compromising.

If you want an AI then get the AI, if you want a custom action then get a custom action. But, if you want a custom action my opinion is to choose from the best that fit your needs KNOWING what their compromises are. Shit ain't always just hunky-dory because the interwebz said so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to be honest 858, it wore out, but the replacement will be here tomorrow. Im not trying to turn this into a loyalty contest between the Badger and AI AW action. My personal view on that is Badger filled a void in the market, but my action is great. I couldnt ask for more out of it, again i understand your stance on wanting to see how it fairs for a while, i agree with you there, but sometimes being on the edge of the blade means you get cut. Marty walked out of a meeting this morning to get my problem taken care of, cant ask for more than that. JFG dont let the spring problem scare you off from the M2008, it was with the first 100 actions i believe, i just happen to have the 75th action they made. From everything ive heard the "Gen 2s" arent having any problems
</div></div>

I understand your position but the guy asked for some honest feedback and he's getting "all's great" when in fact there have been quite a few problems that no one seams to want to acknowledge. Your firing pin was a single example, how about the guys who bought Gen 1 and Gen 2 actions and have barrels that don't interchange?

The fact of the matter is the BO is a reverse of the AI action and as far as I can tell the bugs are not worked out, at least not in a quantity that even remotely approaches satisfactory in my eyes. There are tons of custom actions on the market to choose from, why choose the one with teething problems? The BO doesn't really fill a hole in the market unless you think the 60 degree bolt lift is so important that reliability is worth compromising.

If you want an AI then get the AI, if you want a custom action then get a custom action. But, if you want a custom action my opinion is to choose from the best that fit your needs KNOWING what their compromises are. Shit ain't always just hunky-dory because the interwebz said so. </div></div>

...but if the right people on the interwebs say so, then it's all good, right?

I know of an action that has been sent back for problems more than once, but they still endorse it and it hasn't been mentioned on here....it all depends on the person I guess.

Peculiar.

Never said it was hunky dory, but the barrel change problems, how much of that can be put on the threading of the tube vs the action being dicked up? Granted the FP spring is weak and the fix is out there. But again, the void i was referring to is AI not offering their action only. The badger i have is a great action, minus the FP spring problem that will be fixed tomorrow afternoon. So like i said, when you are on the edge of the blade you sometimes get cut. I agree the AI AW is a more rugged platform, but my thinking is i can resemble an AI somewhat for less money and most times better downrange results. Why buy the AI? Would i like to own an AW hell yeah who wouldnt. Personally im not one of the people who buys shit because its the latest internet buzz. I agree with you also about there being tons of custom actions on the market, kinda along the same thought train i had last night at Coldstone, theres 5 new flavors, but i know the vanilla is what i WANT so im gonna get the vanilla. Im not so much as worried about the little hickups here and there, what im worried about is when the hickups happen how the company takes care of them. Again the M2008 offers everything i wanted in an action, i got it because it would have been downright dumb to pass the deal i got on it. But to each his own... Buy a Badger, have a more accurate gun, buy an AW have a field proven rugged as hell gun. Im not dragging mine to an armed conflict, but i will run it hard. If i were deploying with the rifle and could choose, AW all the way, but im not so ill save some money and keep on shooting

I'm well aware that everything has issues and I wouldn't expect the Badger to go toe to toe with the AW in every aspect.

If its as simple as the AW pin/spring it would be an easy replacement anyway.

And I agree with deadly that I don't want this to turn into a loyalty thread as I already shoot an AW, but just want to know your thoughts and expectations with the Badger as well....

858 - Other than the spring issue how is the action? I've seen a few posts stating that its a bit "clunky" until it breaks in and smooths out. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again -

John

858:

I have a Gen 1 & 2 M2008. I'm currently running the Gen 1, the Gen 2 is being built. I couldn't be happier, period. No problems whatsoever out of mine, and I still haven't sent mine back to get the spring fixed. Marty wants the bolt back, even though I haven't had a problem.

I usually don't buy a first run of ANYTHING due to I understand there's usually going to be bugs in the design, but knowing Marty, and his character, I broke my rule and bought one, with no reserve.

It has totally impressed me, I don't care if it has an issue, b/c I know it will get taken care of. The fact that I can't swap barrels around between the two has never crossed my mind as a concern seeing as I don't see the necessity in all my barrels being able to swap around between different actions / rifles.

As for it being a reverse engineered AW clone, halle-fuckin-lujah! You don't know how bad I've wanted an AW, but have you seen what the prices have skyrocket too? No thank you... Stick it in someone else's ass. I'm stoked that I got an AW clone, built the way I want, for half the price. AW doesn't offer the .243 barrel I like to shoot the 115 DTACs, but GAP does...

I'm curious as to what, other than the firing pin, is all the other bugs you've found? If you can't praise something on interwebz merits, how can you condemn something by interwebz merits???

As for ruggedness, I'm no expert in that field, and I know the AW is "proven", but it's a flippin action... I don't know what can possibly be so inherently weak in it to think it would fail you, unless your going solely off the firing pin issue, in which 100 of the first actions got the wrong firing pin, and now that problem has been rectified.

I recently bought an AIAW because I like the AICS and wanted to experience a real AI rifle. I would love to have Terry Cross build a Sentinel for me in the future, using the Badger M2008 action. If you don't yearn for the AI rifle experience, then go with the Badger action. And if you want it in 260Rem, then Terry is the man! There is a thread about the Sentinel stock, check it out.

I have a gen II BO and love the hell out of it! No problems yet and don't see any in the future. I only have around 300 rounds through her now and can tell a lil difference in the smooth side of things. Can't wait to see how she flows when it has 1k through her. Never fired nor felt a "true" AI but I couldn't possibly see how much different they are besides the safety.?. I totally agree that the AI is to dam much $$$ and IF you do have the cash to spend on one, great and good for you. I'll be just as happy with my set up as to your's.

Well 858 i thought id come in here and clear the air on the M2008 a little. After trouble shooting my action, it wasnt the FP Spring that was causing the Fail To Fires. It was the sear and cocking piece were off center and the cocking piece was dragging on the sear therefore not allow the FP to slam forward into the primer. Just thought id clear that up. It was not the FP spring

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well 858 i thought id come in here and clear the air on the M2008 a little. After trouble shooting my action, it wasnt the FP Spring that was causing the Fail To Fires. It was the sear and cocking piece were off center and the cocking piece was dragging on the sear therefore not allow the FP to slam forward into the primer. Just thought id clear that up. It was not the FP spring </div></div>

Good to know. It doesn't change my position or my original post but it's good to know you got it sorted out. At some point I'll probably buy a M2008, just not yet.

I have owned several AIAW's as well as AI AE's and the Badger action is on the same level as those rifles for way less than half the price. I sold off all of my AI stuff and I run Badger actions primarily now. I don't care for the AI stock so I really like the fact that I can get an McM or a Manners stock fitted for a Badger action. I am also have a BAT action that has a 50 degree bolt throw that is just as good as the Badger, take a look around before you make a big purchase, there are several good actions coming out right now that are really a good value for the money, especially the Roendale, which I plan to snag in the near future

For .260 Terry Cross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to have a .260 built and was wondering what your thoughts were with regard to receivers.

Is there any advantage to the Badger or can a builder get the same results out of a current AIAW short action?

Any information would be appreciated-

John~ </div></div>

If Terry would only build a rifle for us mere mortals. If Terry would build me a rifle i would personally drive down there to his shop and kiss him. One can only wish

If only we can get a Sentinel stock for a M2008.....

i have played with the Sentinel for a Badger, Wheres-Waldo has one and we mounted my badger action up in it Friday night, looks and feels great. His M2008 is @ Lawton getting tubed and coated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only we can get a Sentinel stock for a M2008..... </div></div>

A Remington inlet can be modified for an M2008 footprint.