• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build (budget) please help

sirgarreth

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2011
Hi guys. Decided to get into the bolt action game. I want to build a decent rifle, but don’t want to spend much in case I don’t get into it. What I am thinking so far. Caliber will be 6.5 Creedmore
Ruger American Predator with a Magpul Hunter stock
Ruger American Predator in a Boyd’s AT-One Stock
Howa 1500 mini barreled action in a KGS Bravo stock
Any other suggestions in about the same price range?

Reactions: daleo8803
I can only tell you about the ruger American predator in a magpul stock. That is what I'm running atm. It has a athlon ares scope. Will shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds all day with factory hornady black box 140gr bthp. I love it. I will be replacing the barrel this xmas for a heavier bull barrel because the factory barrel is reaching 1400 rounds. I highly recommend it for a budget rifle.

Attachments

• 20190730_193000.jpg
    20190730_193000.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190826_204240.jpg
    20190826_204240.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 91
At first mine was a little rough but after some rounds down range and a little polishing it's good to go for me.

Plus 1 for RAP 6.5. I love mine. A little DIY TLC smooths the bolt right out.

Skip the Boyd’s stock though. They’re the lowest on the totem pole of replacement options as far as quality goes for the Ruger Americans.

You could get the American Hunter model 6.5 if you want. It has a heavier barrel than the Predator and it comes with a muzzle brake, and obviously already sitting in the Magpul stock. Only “down side” is it comes with a 20” barrel...not sure why they didn’t go 22, 24, or 26” but whatever

If you up your budget on replacement stock/chassis, check out the Indian Creek Design MoFo chassis. It’s an awesome system

If you shoot a lot, be prepared for the barrel burnout. I lost my factory barrel at 1,800 rounds...replaced it with a 26” Heavy Palma barrel from PVA.
1864D816-C268-4840-833D-EF5D2C90B79C.jpeg

Ruger American predator. Mine is in a B&C stock. 1/2 moa rifle.

My lady has been running a RAR 6.5 in a MagPul stock since the stock released late last summer. She reloads her own ammo (140 ELDs), shoots it regularly out to 1000y, shot a couple of PRS matches with it this summer, and used it at the @lowlight class in Minnesota. Yes, it's a cheap production gun, but it's accurate and had functioned without issue.

I actually just received an offer for a 1911 I have that I don't use. Its a Remington 700 AAC-SD 20" in a KRG Chassis with a Kahntrol brake, BUT its in .308. Is that a good set up? I have heard mixed reviews on the Remington 700AAC-SD.

I shot Remington 700s up until I build my custom last fall. I believe this is one of the 5-R models and the three I've owned have always been good shooters. If you'll be shooting to 1000+ often, 6.5CR is very nice. If you're mostly 800 and in, 308 is a fine caliber and will yield lots more barrel life.

avoid the At-One stocks. I got one and it is ok for kids, not good for regular use/adults.

I actually just received an offer for a 1911 I have that I don't use. Its a Remington 700 AAC-SD 20" in a KRG Chassis with a Kahntrol brake, BUT its in .308. Is that a good set up? I have heard mixed reviews on the Remington 700AAC-SD.

Put it this way...if the rifle doesn’t shoot, it’s easy to re-barrel to 6.5 creedmoor.

Not sure on the trigger in that particular rifle...so it’s possible you MAY want to swap triggers. Just another thing to keep in mind.

so i just did a budget build 6.5 and ill break down my prices
Rifle: Rem700 AAC-SD $454 22 inch 6.5
seekins 20 moa base $65
Chassis: older Mcree for $400
Got an new geissele super 700 for $190

Optics Viper PSTg2 mrad for like 750 its on order may take a bit to ship

thing I already had Larue OBR 30mm rings, and harris bipod

It is not very adjustable / limited adjustability. It has presets, like a day shade, if you pass them then the spring loaded push button comes out of the stock. I am not able to get the lop I like or the cheek rise adjusted without adding some foam/spacers. It is a nice stock for the $, but not what I was expecting. I have a Savage model 25 sitting in it for the kids to plink with. Bought a B&C for me.

I ended up with the Remy 700 AAC-SD in .308. It is in a KRG X-Ray chassis. Already have the scope, a Vortex PST 6-24, so I should be good to go. Just need to get a bipod for it.