• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build for a dummy?

Smith1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
Ohio
I’m looking to try out a bolt gun as my new nighttime coyote rig. The amount of information I’ve been reading is overwhelming and I’m a little confused on some things but will take general suggestions.

-I’ve been looking at the defiance tenacity but open to other options around $1000
- R700 footprint seems to make sense with chassis and stock availability, but not sure on which one I want
-Have a triggertech diamond in both my AR’s and would like that option or comparable
-.243 Winchester 1:10

Beyond that how difficult is it to install a prefit barrel and would it be a waste of money to go this route? I assembled both my current AR15 and AR10 hunting rigs but really know nothing about bolt guns

You’ll need a barrel wrench, vise, and torque wrench to install the prefit barrel and it’s pretty simple as long as you can use the torque wrench correctly. Screw it on and torque to specified value.

I’d say building an AR is more a PIA than a bolt gun. If u go with high end components it should go smooth.

Thread barrel into action and torque. Drive two pins to install trigger. Thread muzzle brake on.

ARC Nucleus or Zermatt/Big Horn Origin. Both are available with replaceable bolt heads as well so the ability to change cartridges between different bolt face sizes expand your options significantly

There are a few ways to swap barrels. One way is a shouldered barrel from numerous barrel makers that simply screw/unscrew. Another way is to use a barrel nut like a Savage. Another way is to use a quick change system like the ARC barloc. When done properly, none is any better than the other

Triggertech Diamond or Bix n Andy are both popular options. There are loads of good trigger options for a Rem 700 footprint action

Spend some more time reading in this sub forum and watching some YouTube videos about bolt gun barrel swaps. At first you’ll be overwhelmed but it will get easier to figure out soon enough. Then the hardest decision will be which cartridge to start shooting next

ARC Nucleus or Zermatt/Big Horn Origin. Both are available with replaceable bolt heads as well so the ability to change cartridges between different bolt face sizes expand your options significantly

There are a few ways to swap barrels. One way is a shouldered barrel from numerous barrel makers that simply screw/unscrew. Another way is to use a barrel nut like a Savage. Another way is to use a quick change system like the ARC barloc. When done properly, none is any better than the other

Triggertech Diamond or Bix n Andy are both popular options. There are loads of good trigger options for a Rem 700 footprint action

Spend some more time reading in this sub forum and watching some YouTube videos about bolt gun barrel swaps. At first you’ll be overwhelmed but it will get easier to figure out soon enough. Then the hardest decision will be which cartridge to start shooting next

The replaceable bolt head is probably a better option because I am so indecisive.

Lots is information for me to look into, thanks for the reply

Last edited:
Reactions: The D
Tenacity has replaceable bolts. All are good options. I lean towards the Origin.
243 is a coyote hammer. My second favorite is 22-250 fast twist.

Tenacity has replaceable bolts. All are good options. I lean towards the Origin.
243 is a coyote hammer. My second favorite is 22-250 fast twist.

I contemplated a 22-250 but seems to be a few more factory options in the 55-70 grain range for .243. I’m shooting a .224 Valkyrie now and have been pretty happy with it

The replaceable bolt head is probably a better option because I am so indecisive.

Lots is information for me to look into, thanks for the reply
Lol, it may be worse. With just the two most common sizes you have options ranging from the BR Norma cartridges all the way up to the RUM/Edge cartridges. Having so many choices is a blessing and a curse

Reactions: st1650
Lol, it may be worse. With just the two most common sizes you have options ranging from the BR Norma cartridges all the way up to the RUM/Edge cartridges. Having so many choices is a blessing and a curse

Luckily, or maybe not so much, I don’t reload so I’m limited on options for off the shelf ammo

Luckily, or maybe not so much, I don’t reload so I’m limited on options for off the shelf ammo
That’s a pretty hefty narrowing down but there are still dozens of options. Especially if you search out some smaller ammo manufacturers.

Reactions: Smith1
I like my Nukes more than my Defiances, they’re also much cheaper and somehow smoother even though they’re 3 lugs and the defiance is 2.

Are you dead set on 243 win ? What about 6BR, 223 or 204 ruger ?
I mean for a dedicated night build, I suppose you’ll be inside of 300-400 yards. For that distance, I’m a huge fan of 223 with a match chamber and 75/80 ELDm or SMK80 loaded at 2.525” or so. 223 will also give you a much better barrel life than 243, little bit less recoil which is always welcomed if you’re shooting off tripods at night, easier to spot and follow through. Not that 243 has a ton of recoil.

My current daytime coyote gun is a Defiance anTI in 204 ruger and while it had collected a lot of coyotes this year, it’s a laser, I feel that when it comes time to rebarrel I’ll do a 223 match chamber.

Or a 260 which will get you into reloading. Which you really should get into.

House Plant put together a great resource. Should be stickied. And, please start reloading - whole other dimension to the sport, as is parts selection and building.

I like my Nukes more than my Defiances, they’re also much cheaper and somehow smoother even though they’re 3 lugs and the defiance is 2.

Are you dead set on 243 win ? What about 6BR, 223 or 204 ruger ?
I mean for a dedicated night build, I suppose you’ll be inside of 300-400 yards. For that distance, I’m a huge fan of 223 with a match chamber and 75/80 ELDm or SMK80 loaded at 2.525” or so. 223 will also give you a much better barrel life than 243, little bit less recoil which is always welcomed if you’re shooting off tripods at night, easier to spot and follow through. Not that 243 has a ton of recoil.

My current daytime coyote gun is a Defiance anTI in 204 ruger and while it had collected a lot of coyotes this year, it’s a laser, I feel that when it comes time to rebarrel I’ll do a 223 match chamber.

I’m not 100% sold on 243 but my ar10 is pushing federal factory 55 grain loads at 3800 fps which I like, and I have a decent pile of ammo in 70 grain also. I can’t estimate distance for shit and don’t always have time to hit the range finder, but that’s a me issue really.

I did think about a Valkyrie build since I have great results with my ar15 but 243 made more sense in my head for the extra speed and bigger projectile. The recoil doesn’t bother me on it either

He doesn't reload.

I'd do an Origin just because how prevalent barrels are. A 1:10" 243 won't be a common off the shelf prefit so a GS will have to do you a barrel. And the number of smiths that do one-off prefits will be more common for Origins.

But you really should start reloading.

That’s a good point. Defiance told me 50 weeks on a spare bolt so the origin is looking a little more appealing anyway.

One of these days I’ll get into reloading. Just not enough time in the day to do everything I want. And money lol

• Wow
Reactions: b6graham
That’s a pretty hefty narrowing down but there are still dozens of options. Especially if you search out some smaller ammo manufacturers.

I’ve had my bad luck with a boutique ammo. Ran myself dry on .22 nosler and their 2 month lead time on 62 grain varmegeddon turned into 1 year. Should have bought a reloading press then, but in a glutton for punishment I guess

I’ve had my bad luck with a boutique ammo. Ran myself dry on .22 nosler and their 2 month lead time on 62 grain varmegeddon turned into 1 year. Should have bought a reloading press then, but in a glutton for punishment I guess
You really only trade one problem for another. The only way to get around either problem is if you only shoot the most common cartridges, which has its merits but there are plenty of advantages to reloading

Well, ended up ordering an origin. Also scored a manners PRS-TCS on here which is probably overkill but they are sweet.

Going to give 6 creed a chance based on barrel availability also. Now trying to decide if the carbon barrel is worth the extra $400 but will be ordering something tomorrow

Reactions: Judd
If you need to shave weight for NRL Hunter or legit hikes while hunting, carbon fiber is worth the premium for me. If you’re hunting within a few hundred yards from a truck or side by side then I’d save money, go pre-fit steel and never look back.

Good choice on the bighorn, i have two Origins and probably will add a third TL3. I shoot 223 AI (2800 fps with an 88 gr ELD-m). Swap bolt and barrel and I shoot 6 and 6.5mm’s for matches, even have a magnum bolt for a 7saum, all in the same action.

DBE16EC0-35CC-4917-BB95-80D075A92E34.jpeg

9CE153EB-3446-4CD9-B8C9-FE11FAFAE518.png

1EA0320A-079D-4E2A-950C-B43E75662653.jpeg

Finally got all my parts in and had my helper in the shop tonight.

Really was pretty simple to slap it all together, less satisfying than I thought it would be lol. Couldn’t find the barrel I wanted in stock and ended up with a carbon proof but oh well. Hoping to blast a few coyotes in the next few weeks with it.

Noice, what calibre?
Went with a 6mm creedmoor. Varmint ammo is a close to half of 243 which is nice and the on the shelf prefit options limited me. Will be a good test to see if I like running a bolt gun before having a barrel spun up.

Reactions: reubenski
Nice. I also have a small to medium sized game rifle in 6 Creed. On an Origin. I'm pushing 90gr TGKs at 3050fps out of a 22" Proof. I foolishly bought a 22 Creedmoor to push 88ELDMs at 3100. Also a 22" CF barrel. Have you ever put an 88ELDM and a 90gr TGK side by side? LOL, virtually identical....🤦

I don’t reload yet, it’s on the list for later this year.. hopefully. 22 creed would be my #1 choice at this point if I did though, I hunt with a buddy that is pushing at 60 grain vmax around 3700fps sub moa and it decimates coyotes