• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build.......... for future

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Thinking about building a short action rifle. Not now but slowly doing it because of $$$ unfortunately. I use a long action arc nucleus with krg whiskey chassis and love the setup. On this build I'm thinking about trying different parts and keeping the $$$ down a touch.

Action- mack bro evo ll or bighorn orgin

Chassis- krg bravo (dad uses one and I really like) or mdt xrs3 chassis just looks a little more target friendly with the grip ect.

Trigger- triggertech

Bipod prolly just use the one I have on my other rifle quick attach accutac can easily switch.

What do you think on actions? And chassis?

If you already use KRG products and are happy with them, then why change? I'm nut sure what you mean about the xrs being more target friendly. It has the same grip angle as the bravo and the KRG is much more modular. As to the action, I'd pick the origin but that's because I want to be able to use shouldered prefits and not have to deal with a barrel nut and/or sending my action to a smith to have new barrels cut. Everyone makes shouldered prefits for the origin and you can still use NSS small shank savage barrels with a nut if you want a cheap beater barrel for something.

Your parts look fine. Lots of subjectivity there. So in the vein of subjectivity, I'd look at a Lone Peak action because they are my favorite. Compared to my Surgeons and Defiances, they feel the best and smoothest.

I think the Origin is a good choice. I'd skip over the Mack Bro personally. For the money the Origin is a no brainier the only thing that would give me pause is the new ARC coup de gra. If you aren't in a hurry you may want to see what people are saying in 6 months on that. If buying today the best proven action for the money the Origin for sure.

What is opinions on bergara actions? I had one and thought it was a great factory rifle but didn't haven't long.

I've never shot Bergara but they seem to be great factory actions. At the end of the day they are still just factory actions like a Remington. After having it trued and what not you would be farther ahead with the Origin. Changeable bolt heads, pre fit options, better resale value

Reactions: Schw15
    I've found places that do shoulder prefits on bergara actions I was really surprised.

while I love my bighorn action and everything about it I am looking at one of there
    if it is at that price that's going to be a great deal if you like it costing less . allowing you to spend more in other places in your build . best of luck with what ever you get .

If the price to build the rifle is an issue don’t build it. Rifle price is smallest part of the equation. The time you spend and the ammo you shoot are far higher cost.
    Just shoot and enjoy what you have.

I really like arc actions but this new one not sure about the trigger hanger and chassis compatibility I guess I could hope on that thread and ask. I know there was such toss up on certain things. I actually wouldn't mind but the bighorn so many options of prefits which is nice