• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build for the wife

Beale338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2009
B.C. Canada
Well after a lot of going back and forth on deciding which caliber to build for my wife, I finally pulled the trigger.
I am having a smith put together a 6.5x284norma. My wife is not a large girl so now I'm wondering if I should have a brake installed?
I have not shot this caliber before nor do I know anyone who has one, so any info from those that know what the recoil is like please chime in.

Re: New build for the wife

The 6.5 is a great cartridge and inherently accurate, great choice! I am working on builds plans for one myself (for antelope next year). At any rate, things to consider. Barrel life isn't the best with this caliber, you are looking at about 1500 shots MAX even if you are shooting a little less than max. The recoil is not bad depending on how your wife handles it. My wife gets scared before pulling the trigger the first time if it's been a while, but she has shot my .325wsm in the prone and handled it like a pro.
If you do install a brake the noise will increase dramatically but the recoil will come down. It's a trade off as usual.
One main question to ask, how much trigger time does she have and how does she handle it (even if it's a .223)? and two, how much is the finished rifle going to weigh? If it's heavier, no brake. jmo

i think it will thump her to a point were she will not enjoy it. The brake will help but it will definitely ring her bell!! Why not something like a 6BR or a 6x47L Lee

She doesn't have much trigger time but she has shot a few rounds out of my braked 338LM and that didn't seem to bother her.

I do understand that it will be a lot louder with the brake, this is why I would like to get away without one and I'm not sure how much the rifle is going to weigh yet?

No turning back on caliber choice now, the smith is almost done my barreled action. Just waiting on the stock and it will be done!