• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Build Here!

dgrifith21

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2012
Maryland
Hey everyone, i'm new to the forums here and have just adopted a rifle that I would like to build into a mid-long range semi-tactical/target shooter. It is a Remington 700 in .270 Win. From the research i've done to this point i'm noticing that .270 Win is not receiving much love in the tactical equipment market but it is a cartridge I am a big fan of, and do not really want to go the new rifle route. I have what I have and i'm happy with that as a starting point. I have a friend coming in about a week with a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock (something I have been behind on a few savage actions and like the feel of) which again, is free, so no need to change there.

On to the questions, I would like some suggestions on optics and accurizing this rife once I have this stock. My current modifications are minimal, top rail and a harris bipod so far, I would also like some suggestions on how I should go about fitting an ATPIAL to the stock and a CNVDT in conjunction with whichever optic I go for. I am a photographer for EOTech and would like to have this gear displayable on the rifle for professional purpose. Here are some pictures of the rifle so far(complete with cinnamon cake)!

Re: New Build Here!

The reason there is no .270 love is because they're almost no target/match grade bullets made for it. Don't waste your time, build a custom rifle chambered in anything but 270 win and don't look back. I too started off with a 270win but realized a long time ago that there was no option for ammo except for short range deer hunting.

Yeah, I know the limitations of the round, but I like it and have a ton of it hanging about. I'm happy sticking with the .270 Win and will just shift fire for whatever complications it creates. Also, I already have it and it is free, so the long range .270 I am trying to make will just be sort of a fun project for me. I have rifles chambered in more widely accepted varieties but I would really like to focus on the one.

If you plan on shooting out past 700Y try the Berger 115. Higher BC than most.

A good inexpensive scope to start with is a SWFA SS 10x with mil turrets and mil reticle.

I've shot the 140gr SSt out to 1,000 out of my 270 Whizzum... they worked.

Look at the 150SSt and 140-150 VLD for shooting long range, the SST has a .525 BC and will do just fine. If you can get your hands on some, try the 165gr Matrix VLD. They are an absolute needle and have a better BC than a lot of LR 7mm pills.

And have fun.

Good deal, the round was my primary area of concern, so it's good to know there are a few solid options out there.