• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build, lets hare your thoughts

BECKS7

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a 5r milspec laying around, its my only bolt gun and my baby. I have been thinking of changing it up a little bit. I need a new scope because the one on there doesn't let me do what I want, but I have no idea what to do for that.

Now I have been thinking of dumping the HS and picking up a A4 since I like em.
I was going to get the stock from http://www.jwprecision.ca/ but I saw that they are set up for M5 BDM witch I don't know anything about. I have read a lot that it has feeding problems though, so I don't know what to do for that.
What are you guys with A4's running?

I am thinking of going seekins rings, and maybe a falcon 5-25x56.

Thoughts?

Re: New build, lets hare your thoughts

Just get the M5 bottom metal. If the stock is inlet correctly and you use the right AI magazines, you should have no issues with feeding. The magazine is what it feeds from, that's where all major feeding issues arise. AI Mags work great.

My A4 has CDI bottom metal. Very similar to M5 Bottom metal, but I think it makes the mags fit a little looser. I have M5 on one of my badgers.

+1 on the M5 metal with AI magazine.If the stock has been inlet correctly with the proper spacing the mag will feed fine.I think a lot of the problems are caused by the "home" gunsmith doing the inletting and not getting the correct depth from metal to action.As far as rings and scope that's not a bad choice...what are you using it for?

Well I have a bushnell 3200 10X on there now, and I am shooting to almost 1200 yards with friends now and its just not cutting it for me. It would be for long range steel.

Now I keep hearing the term "bedded" being used, but since I have a HS right now that doesn't use that I have no idea what it means, I thought you just put the pillars in the McMillan and go from there.

I'd only replace the stock if the HS isn't working for you, if you just like the McMillan better that's a good enough reason too. Your HS precision has an aluminum bedding block which some feel is sufficient and nothing else needs to be done. Others will skim bed the stock for a truly tight custom fit. The McMillan should be pillar bedded, which is bedding with a product like Devcon with aluminum pillars. You are capable of bedding it yourself, you just don't know it yet.

But brother, I've seen how your rifle shoots and it has the mojo. You don't NEED to change a thing. Have a good look at Manners Composite Stocks too.