• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build options. 6.5 vs. 7 PRC?

KneverKnew

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2019
My son just built himself a new 6.5mm PRC rifle.
24” Proof carbon fiber barrel and a Zermatt TL3 short action.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Now he wants me to build one to go shooting with him. My question is if I should stick to the 6.5 PRC or opt for 7 PRC? Pros and cons? I know the 6.5 has less recoil. I like. I’ve also heard the 6.5 has longer barrel life. I also like. Any suggestions or opinions appreciated.

Neither one is going to offer great barrel life, but barrels are an easily replaced consumable.

I'd probably go 6.5 because of the brass and it'll match your son's rifle...plus the lower recoil that you mentioned being a bonus.

Unless you hand load I wouldn’t buy either. I have a 6.5prc hunting rifle and I have a hard enough time finding brass.

Of the two, I prefer the 7PRC for hunting. Shooting it this season, the terminal performance on game was night and day between it and the 6.5 prc. The 6.5 prc kills just fine, but I have always had trouble with the 6.5s not leaving blood trails. Hasn't been a problem with 7PRC.

7mm wheeler which is 6.5PRC necked to 7mm. Lets you take advantage of Super high BC 7mm bullets and will help extend barrel life a bit. You could do it in a medium action and will not be giving much up to a 7PRC with less recoil and powder.

Reactions: Taylorbok
The problem with 7PRC its a cucked round.

It should have either been a 6.5PRC (short action) necked up to 7mm
or
A 300PRC necked down to 7MM.

Its a weird long action thats short and doesn't take advantage of the additional case capacity.

Its going to sell a bunch of rifles because fudds dont know ballistics and reloading nuance. Does nothing you cant do with a 7mm mag other than not deal with a belt, and if you dont reload then it doesnt matter anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: godofthunder

or

Its a weird long action thats short and doesn't take advantage of the additional case capacity.

Its going to sell a bunch of rifles because fudds dont know ballistics and reloading nuance. Does nothing you cant do with a 7mm mag other than not deal with a belt, and if you dont reload then it doesnt matter anyway.

You have absolutely zero clue to the design concept of the 7PRC. They designed it to shoot heavy for caliber long high BC bullets and fit in a standard long action at the same COAL as factory SAAMI 7RM and 300WM.

I bought one because of the ballistics LOL.

So many helpful comments! Thanks!
I considered the 7mm simply because I am a 7x57 and 280 Remington fan. Once I started reading about the 7PRC it became clear it may not be for me. I also am a 6.5x55, 6.5 Creedmore fan. I even have a 6.5 Carcano but I relegate it to low pressure cast bullet loads. Yes I hand load everything, even obsolete 41 Swiss, 43 Beaumont, 43 Mauser and others. I honestly don’t need the rifle. I live in Florida so long range for me might be 200 yards hunting over an open crop field. My local range goes out to 400. That would be max. All my current rifles could handle that. It’s just something my son has done and he mentioned wanting me to go shooting with same rifle. It’s a thought. A pricey thought, but a thought.

While we are on the subject of builds, does anyone have experience with or knowledge of the Hawke scopes? Any good? Price range reasonable?

I’ve played with 6.5 prc in the past and just couldn’t see the magic in the maybe 200ish fps over 6.5 Creedmoor. If you are shooting volume I’d go Creedmoor all the way. I built a 7mm prc for my elk gun but it’s really not a fun volume shooter, it’s expensive, and barrel life is a consideration.

View attachment 8358154
Now he wants me to build one to go shooting with him. My question is if I should stick to the 6.5 PRC or opt for 7 PRC? Pros and cons? I know the 6.5 has less recoil. I like. I’ve also heard the 6.5 has longer barrel life. I also like. Any suggestions or opinions appreciated.
The 6.5 PRC is not a bad cartridge, it’s basically just a 6.5 SAUM wildcat turned SAAMI, but it does NOT have longer barrel life than the 7 PRC. The 6.5 has probably ~800+/- rounds. It’s very overbore, and considering all the negatives that go along with it, it really has a very unimpressively small performance jump from the 6.5 Creed, especially considering the Creed gets about 3,500+/- rounds of barrel life, and is only ~200 FPS slower.

The 7 PRC will get probably ~1,000+/- rounds on a guess, since it’s almost basically identical to a 7mm RemMag with modern components. And, IMPO, is a better round for hunting.

But, neither of them are what I would choose for your intended purpose. Like was stated, a 6.5 CM, or just a plain old .308 Win would be a much better option at those distances, and you can find high quality brass everywhere. Or, since you like oddball and unique cartridges and prefer low-recoil for volume shooting, why not give a try to something like a .25 Creedmoor or 7 SAW. You can get Lapua-quality headstamped brass, and properly-spec’d reamers, both from Alpha Munitions. The new Berger .257 133 & 135gr bullets have an exceptional BC.
While we are on the subject of builds, does anyone have experience with or knowledge of the Hawke scopes? Any good? Price range reasonable?
What is your budget, and I’m sure we can recommend some scopes much better than a Hawke.

What about 7prcw? The 6.5prc necked up to 7mm? That seems to be super awesome. I see a few F Class guys running them with 180gr vlds.

Yeah, posting wrong information because you don't know what the fuck you're talking about isn't a problem. Don't pull shit out of your ass and expect not to get called on it.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Yeah, if you have to "PRC" in this case, the 6.5 is probably going to be the better overall option based on your limitations and son's chambering.

Of the two, I prefer the 7PRC for hunting. Shooting it this season, the terminal performance on game was night and day between it and the 6.5 prc. The 6.5 prc kills just fine, but I have always had trouble with the 6.5s not leaving blood trails. Hasn't been a problem with 7PRC.
Bullets matter. Not headstamps.

OP for 400 yards both seem very very big. Between the two I would go 6.5 PRC for less recoil.

Reactions: tacoman69 and DJL2
Really what I should do is put the extra money needed into bedding my weatherby Vangaurd 6.5 Creedmore into a nicer stock. That should give me the accuracy I would like in a rifle I already have and like to handled for and shoot. Then again I took my 8-point whitetail this season with my Swedish M96/38 rifle with a scout scope and hand load. Neck shot. DRT. I’ve had it 30 years and it was made in 1903. Still shoots great!
IMG_9552.jpeg

IMG_3648.jpeg

So, we get this question several times a week from either current customers, or customers considering a rifle. Unfortunately, it's not an easily answered question without some specific details.

Generally speaking our recommendations are:

- General plinking and shooting flat ranges without high volume, but you may take it hunting for whitetail and such to blinds and other such things that don't require a ton of walking: 6.5cm or 6cm if using factory ammo. 6gt if loading. Fairly heavy rifle. More of a comp type stock like a foundation, some of the manners offerings, mdt, map, etc.

- General hunting whitetail and occasionally plinking. Might need to hike a bit: 6.5cm in a light or medium weight hunting rifle.

- General hunting that might include larger game. 7prc or 300prc. 6.5prc works too. Kinda just take your pic. I personally like 300prc because it covers most all bases. Good brass and bullets for loading and decent factory ammo. IMO the recoil is pleasant compared to a lot of other magnums. Rifle weight dependent on the type of hunting you will do.

- Lots of range shooting out to 1k, not so much hunting: 6br, 6gt, 6cm, 6.5cm. Depending on loading or using factory ammo. Heavier rifle with a comp type chassis.

It's pretty hard to build a "do all rifle" unless you'll be doing one thing significantly more than others. If you're going to do a decent amount of multiple things, two rifles is almost always the best option.

If you shoot a decent amount at the range, magnums are going to get fairly uncomfortable after a while. We highly discourage bringing them to classes as the main rifle for the course. Bring something like a .308 or 6.5cm to shoot mostly, and your magnum to shoot a few rounds here and there with what you've learned. The recoil from magnums is that big of a difference that it hinders learning and enjoyment with high volume shooting.

What about 7prcw? The 6.5prc necked up to 7mm? That seems to be super awesome. I see a few F Class guys running them with 180gr vlds.

I'm actually thinking about this cartridge. Would make a solid ~1 mile rifle with lower recoil than the full-size magnums. And...

Lapua brass!

Why hasn't anyone asked what the op intends to do with said rifle? Intent, ie, hunting, steel? Ranges? It’s hard to answer a generalized question with unknown variables.

To be honest it would mostly be targets and steel up to 400 yards with current range limitations. I definitely might use it for hunting given the chance, but those ranges around here are under 200, more like 40-75 yards. I have plenty other fine calibers that do that job. So there you go. The answer is yes! 😁

Then both would be terrible choices. 6.5CM all day if you want to hunt, otherwise a .223. Anything else you are wasting money and ammo.
they wouldn't be terrible choices but basically he doesn't need anything more than his 6.5 creed

or

Also this is a dumb argument. The 7 PRC was designed to launch 180's at 2950-3k and not be extremely overbore to save on barrel life. I will agree it's ballistic equivalent to the 7RM but with a more modern case.
7 PRC works fine in a long action also great fit for a Tikka

Last edited:
they wouldn't be terrible choices but basically he doesn't need anything more than his 6.5 creed

Also this is a dumb argument. The 7 PRC was designed to launch 180's at 2950-3k and not be extremely overbore to save on barrel life. I will agree it's ballistic equivalent to the 7RM but with a more modern case.
7 PRC works fine in a long action also great fit for a Tikka
For shooting to 400 yards target and hunting inside of 100..... yea they are fucking HORRIBLE choices. Hunting inside 200, most likely inside 75, they are both way overkill unless he is hunting Moose.

6.5CM will make quick work of anything at that range, even moose with a well placed shot. Hell at that distance I would probably back down to a .243, .223 or similar to save meat. A CNS hit is almost 100%.

A basic bitch 7RM and a hot new optimized 7 PRC is not the same thing. You can setup a 7 RM to blow the PRC out of the water, its not hard. Hell a 7 WSM can push a 180 to about 3K and do it with a long action with less powder.

7PRC like alot of these rounds was created and marketed to idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions: R_A_W
For shooting to 400 yards target and hunting inside of 100..... yea they are fucking HORRIBLE choices. Hunting inside 200, most likely inside 75, they are both way overkill unless he is hunting Moose.

6.5CM will make quick work of anything at that range, even moose with a well placed shot. Hell at that distance I would probably back down to a .243, .223 or similar to save meat. A CNS hit is almost 100%.
Your statement is overkill. They aren't "Fucking HORRIBLE" choices. just overkill NBD.

Why hasn't anyone asked what the op intends to do with said rifle? Intent, ie, hunting, steel? Ranges? It’s hard to answer a generalized question with unknown variables.
Looks like it was asked and answered awhile ago.
What type of shooting are you doing?

I live in Florida so long range for me might be 200 yards hunting over an open crop field. My local range goes out to 400. That would be max.

My son’s new rifle is complete. He has a Proof carbon fiber barrel with 1:7.5 twist. What would be best bullet weight range for this twist barrel? I normally load 140-147 grain for my 6.5 Swedes and 6.5 CM.

View attachment 8358154
Is that the 5-25 atacr?

My son’s new rifle is complete. He has a Proof carbon fiber barrel with 1:7.5 twist. What would be best bullet weight range for this twist barrel? I normally load 140-147 grain for my 6.5 Swedes and 6.5 CM.
With the case capacity of the 6.5 PRC, and the velocities it can produce, and the 7.5" twist barrel... Go with the Berger 156 Elite Hunters...

You can even buy factory Berger ammo for the 6.5 PRC with this bullet already loaded in it...

Reactions: NewsShooter
So, we get this question several times a week from either current customers, or customers considering a rifle. Unfortunately, it's not an easily answered question without some specific details.

Generally speaking our recommendations are:

- General plinking and shooting flat ranges without high volume, but you may take it hunting for whitetail and such to blinds and other such things that don't require a ton of walking: 6.5cm or 6cm if using factory ammo. 6gt if loading. Fairly heavy rifle. More of a comp type stock like a foundation, some of the manners offerings, mdt, map, etc.

- General hunting whitetail and occasionally plinking. Might need to hike a bit: 6.5cm in a light or medium weight hunting rifle.

- General hunting that might include larger game. 7prc or 300prc. 6.5prc works too. Kinda just take your pic. I personally like 300prc because it covers most all bases. Good brass and bullets for loading and decent factory ammo. IMO the recoil is pleasant compared to a lot of other magnums. Rifle weight dependent on the type of hunting you will do.

- Lots of range shooting out to 1k, not so much hunting: 6br, 6gt, 6cm, 6.5cm. Depending on loading or using factory ammo. Heavier rifle with a comp type chassis.

It's pretty hard to build a "do all rifle" unless you'll be doing one thing significantly more than others. If you're going to do a decent amount of multiple things, two rifles is almost always the best option.

If you shoot a decent amount at the range, magnums are going to get fairly uncomfortable after a while. We highly discourage bringing them to classes as the main rifle for the course. Bring something like a .308 or 6.5cm to shoot mostly, and your magnum to shoot a few rounds here and there with what you've learned. The recoil from magnums is that big of a difference that it hinders learning and enjoyment with high volume shooting.
My question is where’s the Fenix ammo

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
With the case capacity of the 6.5 PRC, and the velocities it can produce, and the 7.5" twist barrel... Go with the Berger 156 Elite Hunters...

You can even buy factory Berger ammo for the 6.5 PRC with this bullet already loaded in it...

Thank you. I will look into them.

In reading Proof barrels instruction manual they say never use reloaded/ hand loaded ammunition or anything other than commercially manufactured ammunition. Really? How many reload here?

• Haha
Reactions: Taylorbok
In reading Proof barrels instruction manual they say never use reloaded/ hand loaded ammunition or anything other than commercially manufactured ammunition. Really? How many reload here?
98%

it's for liability

that's standard because some people are stupid/careless enough to blow themselves up and blame the barrel manufacturer

98%

it's for liability

that's standard because some people are stupid/careless enough to blow themselves up and blame the barrel manufacturer
I can understand that. I’ve been reloading 30 years and still have all my digits and weapons in one piece. 😁

That's a bullet problem not the cartridge. What bullets are you using

That's a bullet problem not the cartridge. What bullets are you using
I tried 143eld-x, 140eldm, 131 HH, and 140 Bergers.....best performance on deer was 140eldm. Others tended to pencil right through leaving a small exit wound, unless hitting bone. Our deer are smaller, thin skinned and bullet expansion can be problematic. I'm switched to a 7mm prc with 175eldx and not having the same problems with expansion.

Reactions: tacoman69