• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build: parts compatibility check please

hunter8793

AEKDB
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2018
Arkansas
I think these parts should work, but I would like to check with you guys.

Mega Maten receiver set
Criterion 308 barrel 16 inch rifle gas
SLR Adjustable Gas block
Lantac 308 BCG
JP silent capture spring GEN 2 Silent Captured Spring for AR-10-type rifles
PWS buffer tube, standard ar15 style.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Consider an adjustable gas block and mention your barrel length to help recommend the proper length gas tube. That makes a difference in large frame AR.

Consider an adjustable gas block and mention your barrel length to help recommend the proper length gas tube. That makes a difference in large frame AR.
Yes sir.
SLR adjustable gas block
Criterion 16 inch rifle gas barrel

are you shooting suppressed?
it this an outdoors gun, or will you go to indoor range? if outdoors, you might want to consider a muzzle brake to help control the muzzle flip, recoil, especially if you want to put a follow-up shot on target.

a lot depends on the purpose.

are you shooting suppressed?
it this an outdoors gun, or will you go to indoor range? if outdoors, you might want to consider a muzzle brake to help control the muzzle flip, recoil, especially if you want to put a follow-up shot on target.

a lot depends on the purpose.
Suppressed and non suppressed. Outdoor. I'm mainly concerned with the components fitting properly since the ar10 is not as standardized as the ar15 platform.

I think there's 2 phases for building the AR-10. Phase 1 is putting it all together, the parts all fit, it's beautiful, take the pictures on the dining room table or kitchen counter, and post to the forums.

Phase 2 is getting it to run, overgassed, undergassed, I-have-no-idea gassed. Check headspace? why bother. Bolt carrier banging into buffer tube upright, failure to feed, failure to extract, bolt doesn't lock back, etc. That's the not-so-pretty part. that's also where the AGB proves its worth.

sorry, preaching to the choir here. Captain Obvious. :whistle:

Nice choice on the 16" Criterion Rifle gas.
I have a complete CMMG 308 with a rifle gas 16" barrel. It shoots amazingly soft as it comes from them, even without an adjustable gas block. I'm sure the Surefire brake has something to do with that as well.

The biggest problems I've experienced with AGB and handguards has been when they adjust or have a lock nut on the side that doesn't line up with the slots in the handguard. The SLR adjusts from the front, so you should be good there.

You are almost describing my old rifle! Only thing I had different was a LMT BCG and a KAC receiver extension with an H3 buffer and an LMT MWS spring. I had no issues with that rifle and it was mostly shot suppressed.
20191117_171251.jpg

Reactions: hunter8793
Everything listed is DPMS pattern, provided OP gets the correct length gas tube it at least has a chance to run.

I assumed you always needed a "rifle" length buffer tube for an AR10. PWS only makes a carbine length to my knowledge.

Reactions: thedude824

I guess I meant basic system requirements. I'm not surprised that there are other buffer systems available that may be made to function in limited situations. Given the frequency of malfunctions in AR10 builds, one of which is about 6 threads down and was solved by using a rifle length buffer system, I would strongly suggest a new builder stick with tried and proven basics. I fail to see the point of the carbine buffer unless you have Trex arms and shoot with a fully collapsed stock.

Then again Bootleg stated their adjustable bolt carrier would absolutely work with an A5 system. Even with an H0 it would not function in my rifle. Ive still got that brand new BCG sitting in a box somewhere

I assumed you always needed a "rifle" length buffer tube for an AR10. PWS only makes a carbine length to my knowledge.
Nope. You can use any length action/recoil system, as long as you use the right combination of parts. And with the JP SCS, they're designed for a standard AR-15 carbine receiver extension (buffer tube). You can use them in a intermediate (A5) or rifle length RE, but you have to put a spacer at the bottom of the RE, which gives it the same internal depth as a carbine RE.