• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build range report Rock creek 5R (PICS)

BigRso

Sergeant
Minuteman
So as you guys know by all my questions I have been posting I was unhappy with my original Build on a Savage SA. As a result I sold everything minus the action here and else where to help fund a new lighter more ergonomic build on the same Savage SA. I was pissed last night when I received my scope, by my own fault I entered the wrong model number and rather then getting a 6-24 I got a 3-12. I decided to keep it and put it on my AR and upgrade this tax season. Today at the range I was surprised how much elevation I had left after zeroing the scope - 16 mils which is way more then I would ever need with a 308 Bisley. The glass was clear edge to edge and that .25 moa green dot is the shit for an aimimg point. Helped me a lot with my dot drill. The chassis was bedded by me and I am super pleased with the results after zeroing with 5 rds. I shot a 5 shot group prone it came in at .556" with a load I had develop for the Mcgowen so I can only imagine how well this thing is going to shoot once the barrel is seasoned and I develop a load for it. The temp was 63 degrees with a 5-6 mph wind and Im in Orange county NY 1000ft above sea level. I just wanted to say thank you to the vendors on here who help me with the components and all the forum members who gave me advice. Only thing I want to do is add a muzzle brake not due to recoil but muzzle rise, I did notice with the heavy ass Mcgowen follow up shots where easier. It was taking me a little longer to get back on for a second third etc shot with this lighter rig and no muzzle brake. If anyone knows of a good muzzle brake I can get that's a clamp on to avoid threading and gunsmith work please share.

Merry Christmas
Mike

components used:
Savage SA trued by (John C. Blauvelt, Jr.)
Mcree Precision Chassis (skim bedded and painted by me)
Sharp shooter supply Comp recoil lug
Rock Creek 5R 24" 308 Bisley 11:27 twist
Rifle Basix sav1 trigger set to 2lbs
Versapod 6-9"
Badger bolt knob
Alpha type 2 mags x2
Warne 20 moa base
Tps low rings
Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 FFP BRT-MIL (upgrading Tax Season and this will go on my WOA 16" AR15)

before and after pics: AND YES IT HAS THE BROKE DUDE CAT TAIL LOL:p

This is my finished rebuild above kept action and everything else was replaced^^^^

On bottom was the original build but it was way to heavy with the choate stock and Mcgowen 26" bull barrel

Last edited:
Nice looking rig! What does truing the action do for you? How different does it feel from the stock action?

Nice looking rig! What does truing the action do for you? How different does it feel from the stock action?

Thank You, In all honesty it always felt smooth, only difference I did notice when this action was on my original build is after I got it back my groups tighten up a lot which was a huge plus. So I did believe that the smith did in fact true the action to its center line and make it completely linear and mate the recoil lug for a flush fit. I did expect to feel as if the bolt when run was smoother but me being such a newbie and truly just learning I couldn't tell. I was a little worried since the action was trued when the Mcgowen was installed by the smith that I would lose some accuracy, but I guess not 10 rds in and I shoot a .556" group with a load not even intended for this rig is beautiful. Maybe someone with more experience can chim in but my taught is once it is trued you can re barrel a action with out losing anything per say?

Did you choose to get that barrel Bisley reemed and why ? I'm asking because I have a Bisley 308 and haven't found anyone else with one!

Did you choose to get that barrel Bisley reemed and why ? I'm asking because I have a Bisley 308 and haven't found anyone else with one!
Yes I did choose to get it chamber in 308 Bisley, reason being they have been known to shoot very well, as well as having a tighter chamber which I believe adds to accuracy. Also they are a lot of people with this chambering google search it and you will see a lot of threads in accurate shooter as well as here and other forums.

I have done some looking on it and haven't found a lot of information on it maybe I need to keep looking . But just out of couriousity say on a factory loaded 168 smk is it about .050 too long off of the jive in your gun? I not saying no one out there doesn't have it bit instead it is difficult to find info on it.

I think you'll be happier if you get the barrel threaded, at a bare minimum you can get a brake and time it with some crush washers.

I have done some looking on it and haven't found a lot of information on it maybe I need to keep looking . But just out of couriousity say on a factory loaded 168 smk is it about .050 too long off of the jive in your gun? I not saying no one out there doesn't have it bit instead it is difficult to find info on it.

It is a lot tighter I use to seat 175smk at 2.850" and now I am seating them at 2.795" the max oal I have with this chambering and 175smk is 2.804" so I gave my cartridge a .009" jump. In short I can see factory ammo being an issue with this chambering but I wouldn't have an answer for that one due to me only shooting handloads. All I can say is factory ammo is loaded to sammi spec for a 308 win. So I can see you having issues with just about everything be careful jamming the rd into the lands will increase pressure. Factory ammo isn't loaded hot but either way something to keep in mind. How did you end up with this chambering?

I think you'll be happier if you get the barrel threaded, at a bare minimum you can get a brake and time it with some crush washers.
I was actually looking at the badger fte and am really feeling it. Not to long and it looks great as well. I am just dreading sending off my barrel and the long ass wait that goes with a smith doing anything for you.

Hey big, it's a long story on how I ended up w it but anyway I was told it was Bisley reemed and it's obviously very short . For example I just looked at my notes on it I haven't shot it in quite a few months and I found that a 175 smk loaded at 2.800 would give me .055 jam yes 55 thousands. Your numbers are very different than mine maybe you can help me?

Hey big, it's a long story on how I ended up w it but anyway I was told it was Bisley reemed and it's obviously very short . For example I just looked at my notes on it I haven't shot it in quite a few months and I found that a 175 smk loaded at 2.800 would give me .055 jam yes 55 thousands. Your numbers are very different than mine maybe you can help me?

Now that doesn't sound right at all what type of action is it on and what type of gauge was used to headspace. I wouldn't shoot that at all I would get some Forster gauges for 308 win and check the headspace asap.

Remington action my smith checked the headspace don't know what type of gage he used but it was right. He said he could open it up for me but I thought it might be a good thing as I would try it first. My first 3 groups out of it w someone else's hand loads (who I don't trust to measure everything perfectly) was a .302/.304/.602 so I didn't want to change anything yet. Maybe I should start a thread and see if someone can help ?

Remington action my smith checked the headspace don't know what type of gage he used but it was right. He said he could open it up for me but I thought it might be a good thing as I would try it first. My first 3 groups out of it w someone else's hand loads (who I don't trust to measure everything perfectly) was a .302/.304/.602 so I didn't want to change anything yet. Maybe I should start a thread and see if someone can help ?
yeah I would do just that to me that seems way off but I could be wrong if it is jam at 2.800" by .055"

Your saying max oal with 175smk in your chamber is around 2.745"-2.750" can't be IMHO or maybe it isn't a Bisley chamber maybe its some type of match chamber for 155s