• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build; right direction?

Tarjan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2009
Phx, AZ
Gentlemen (& Ladies?),
Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry in advance if I carry on. Years ago, (pre marriage/kids) I thought it would be fun to put together a semi-custom rifle. At the time I was quite naive about what made a precision rifle; still am to a great degree. In '01, I bought a 700 Varmint Synthetic .308 w/26" bbl (it has the j-lock). I got a Leupold "Vari X III 4.5-14x50 Long Range Tactical" w/30mm tube. Well, 8+yrs later, they have sat in the back of the safe (the only stick that has seen daylight is my Beretta for birds).
Well, I finally got a round to-it and would like to pick up where I started (with a LOT more knowledge thanks to you guys).
Before I ask too many questions, I have/am searched the threads so as not to kick up too many previously covered topics. I will also post/explore more specific questions in the more pertinent forums.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Here is what I have</span>-
-Rem 700 VS .308 26" bbl.
Is 26" too long? I seem that shorter bbls are more common.
Syn stock seems pretty good. wide/flat forend w/ more of a pistol grip than my sporter rifles. There are no distinguishing marks in the stock, HS rings a bell when I bought it. bedding?
-The only thing I did to this was have the trigger (stock) done by a local smith. 3#, IIRC?
-Leup scope. Mil Dot. I got a lot to learn/practice with this (will get a MilDot Master). Per Leup it has 125 moa adj in it. seems like A LOT.
<span style="font-weight: bold">What I want</span>-
-Action trued/blueprinted. This rifle undoubtedly shoots better than I can out of the box, but it can't hurt right? (some recs on Phx smiths pls)
-TPS XP 20 moa base. With 125 moa in the scope, do I need 20 in the base? maybe 10 (other than Murphy, who makes <20 bases?)
-TPS TSR rings. Still doing the hight math for a 50mm obj.
-Bolt knob/firing pin by Keith (gotta support the locals). this will also rid the J-lock.
-Flute bolt? Other than looking really bitchin, is this a go? It actually seems to me that the more grooves/recesses make more places for dirt & grime to hide in.
-Bottom metal. Badger, Seekins, HS? Availability of mags?
-Recoil Lug. um...
-Brakes. OMG. Too many choices. Badger, Vias, Fat Bastard etc. I'll probably just throw a dart.
-Bipods. I learned to shoot of a rest/sandbag/ruck or offhand (poorly). Are bipods more than just kickstands for pictures?

I do not have the capacity to roll my own, so factory rounds will be the diet.

I know that getting out and shooting is the best way to get the most out of this rifle, but is there an order of priority, logic or bang/buck in improving a rifle?

Again, thank you all for your patience and knowledge.

Tari

Re: New build; right direction?

If its an HS stock it will have an aluminum bedding block. If its just a plastic cheapy toss it and get a better stock. Budget stock go with a Bell & Carlson with an aluminum bedding block. Dont bother truing the action yet. Shoot the hell out of it till it needs a new barrel. Had mine trued and kept the original barrel. Wish I had waited. Nothing wrong with a 26" barrel shorter is lighter and more maneuverable in tight spots.Get a bipod and rear bag. Use black hills , federal gold medal, Remington match.Use some type of match ammo. Bottom metal check out CDI Precision you can get a mag and stock inleted for a good price. Plus they have great customer service.

Tari,

If you have been lurking AND reading you would have seen multiple topics on each question posed. The search engine on this site is not the finest the world has to offer, so I will point you to google. If you follow a couple simple steps you will be up to your ears in info.

1. Go to google
2. In the search box type the topic you are looking for, followed by a space, followed by site:snipershide.com (no spaces.)

So, for TSR rings it would look like this in the search box.

TSR Rings site:snipershide.com

I have attached a link below with a reference to barrel length. Look at the search box and just take out the topic and insert a new topic as you browse.

Google Search

Josh

MinorDamage and jrb572,

I honestly thought that you were going to flame Tarjan for his question, as this is what I see mostly happens on a lot of forums, when a question is asked that has been asked many times before.

Then I used your google tip and there you go, you have answered the only issue I have with the hide, the tragic search function.

Hats off to you both, it works a ripper, thanks.

B