• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build...Savage 10FCP-SR, JP AMCS+range time

BravoSector1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 26, 2011
    Idaho
    <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-size: 14pt">I've been sitting on this build for a few months and finally had the time to break it in yesterday. She's only 47 rounds old but I'm looking forward to learning the ergonomics and tics of this platform. Thanks to the great info on this site I was able to put together a stick I like and am looking forward to much more range time and comps in the future.

Savage 10FCP-SR w/fluted barrel and 5R rifling
    YHM QD for YHM Phantom 762
    JP AMCS chassis with 2x10 round mags
    Atlas Bipod
    Accu-Shot Monopod
    Badger Ordnance 20MOA optic rail
    Badger Ordnance Max-50 rings
    Votex PST 6-14x50 FFP with butler creeks

I found a large lot of FGMM 168gr ammo on sale some time ago so I picked up 200 rounds (should have bought more). The other 1-10 twist rifle I owned (DPMS LR-308) really liked the heavy pills so I'll need to try out some 175s. This rifle will push me into the realm of reloading...looking forward to that too.

Got the weapon on paper at 50 then pushed it out to 100. Pulled the elevation knob and installed the CRS rings for the zero stop and reset the windage knob (I like this scope so far). Rounds 1-18 were spent on the 100m course. I picked up and went to the 300m course and decided to see what the hold over/scope adjustment would be for the steel sitting at 300m. I like the feedback the steel gives you and this guy hasn't shot at that range in some time. Met some fellow hide members on the line and they've pointed me to some other shoots coming up so I can stretch the leggs on this rifle. I really saw the advantages of the FFP optic and 2MOA holdovers in the PST reticle (turned out I needed 14.25 MOA holdover at 300) and this made followup shots at any magnification quite simple. I ran the elevation and windage knobs through the paces and everything came back to zero.

I did notice quite a bit of POI change when using the suppressor. I'm not sure what is throwing my rounds 3MOA low at 100m. The can is heavy and maybe this is affecting the harmonics that much. More range time and testing to follow. Shooting with the can is a joy and I see why others shoot almost exclusively with them.

Overall impressions. I wasn't shooting in the prone (can't do that at the 100m range due to terrain) so I had a lot of bipod bounce on the concreate stands...I just couldn't get confortable (trainin issue...will work on that). The JP system is nice. It's a heavy combo (exact weight to follow) but for it's entended use it's not a concern. I went back and forth on the chassis decision but after weighting cost and options the folding stock (PRS is standard on the JP chassis) and 2x10 round mags included sealed the deal. The chassis folding stock allows for a more compact transport package and I'm looking forward to cutting up the foam in a pelican case.</span> </span>
    IMG_4461.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

Re: New build...Savage 10FCP-SR, JP AMCS+range time

That is awesome! I think that is the best looking chassis I've seen so far!