• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build - WOA and 2-10 PST Gen 2 initial impressions

trob_205

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 11, 2013
    Coldwater, MI
    So after getting sick of looking at my SBR just sitting in the safe I decide to build up a SPRish upper. Ended up with:

16” WOA 1-7 midlength 223 Wylde barrel
    BCM assembles upper
    13” Giessele MK13 rail
    Vortex 2-10 PST Gen 2 in a Vortex Pro Mount.

Lower already had a Giessele SSA and a BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 SOPMOD stock so we were good to go there.

First 5 initial rounds were just some PMC Bronze 223 to get the scope close. Here is the first 3 rounds of the ammo I plan on exclusively shooting out of this gun. CBC/Magtech OTM 77 SMK factory ammo.
    1D405B70-CD87-44A7-B8F1-729192D4630E.jpeg

Was obviously super impressed with the accuracy right out of the gate. Went on to zero it up and I don’t think any group went outside 3/4” even though I don’t think I shot any more than 30 rounds while on my belly. Next order of business was some chrono numbers. Was hoping and praying for 2700 but not holding my breath.
    F054A20B-EB23-4B4D-982B-AC9546D3C315.jpeg

So now it shoots and it’s pretty damn quick when comparing to my expectations. I did happen to have my last 5 rounds of Black Hills MK262 with me and the average for those 5 rounds were 2703 with an SD of almost 20. So I’m happy I’m sitting on a pile of the CBC/Magtech stuff.

I’m also very pleasantly surprised with this 2-10 PST Gen 2. The center of the reticle is definitely fine enough to allow you to shoot little groups at 100 if that’s your thing, and while looking at objects in the 500ish range hitting small targets at that 500-700 will not be hard (or at least it won’t be the scopes fault if it is lol). I’m very happy with the glass. I do wish that when doing more precision work on 10x it had the EBR2C Xmas tree reticle, but the way this particular reticle lights up and looks at 2x it makes it very easy to pick up down on low power. It’s a great little scope and damn near perfect for this particular rifle. I have a Gen 1 PST 2.5-10x44 on a hunting rifle and I can see that being upgraded to a new 2-10 Gen 2 in the future.

Overall I’m super happy with what I ended up with. The upper and barrel fit was exceptionally tight and I needed to break out the heat gun to get the barrel installed so I already was having high expectations from that and reviews here on the hide of the WOA. Using a H2 buffer and a SpringCo blue buffer spring and it locked back on empty mag even with the 223 PMC. I might try a red spring I have laying around here but with my previous experiences it was slightly too strong for anything other than the 14.5-16” carbine gassed barrels. The small grip wasn’t cutting it and already have a BCM FDE Mod 2 on order along with some BCM Mlok FDE covers. I’m already itching to get some steel up and stretch the legs on this little guy!
    A49577A1-898F-4D93-95AC-53C85EBBAD48.jpeg
    A489092D-AFB1-4002-9E73-F05A4AEE922E.jpeg

Nice build and good shooting.

I finally just got done finishing my 16" Recce, all I need now is some reasonable weather to get her zeroed.

View attachment 7100285
    View attachment 7100286

What height is that Unimount? I foolishly sold one at 1.375” awhile back to free up a few bucks, but am close to finishing my AR and need another. Just curious if that’s the same height or something else, since that optic (PST Gen2 3-15x44, I presume) and mount combo is what I’m going for. Thanks!

What height is that Unimount? I foolishly sold one at 1.375” awhile back to free up a few bucks, but am close to finishing my AR and need another. Just curious if that’s the same height or something else, since that optic (PST Gen2 3-15x44, I presume) and mount combo is what I’m going for. Thanks!

Yes Sir it's the 1.375 with 20 MOA. Nightforce makes damn good Scope Mounts. And if you want a QD mount look in to BoBro, I've owned every QD mount on the market and none of them return to zero consistently as the Bobro Mounts do.

Reactions: Basher
    Thanks for the report. I've been on the fence about ordering a WOA barrel but you pushed me over. Brownells has the 18" rifle gas version on sale now.

Thanks for the report. I've been on the fence about ordering a WOA barrel but you pushed me over. Brownells has the 18" rifle gas version on sale now.
    Brownells is were I picked mine up from. If I didn’t already have a carbine buffer setup I would have opted for that 18” I think. But with the speed I’m getting I’m kinda glad I didn’t! I’d buy with confidence for sure!

You lost me right about here...
    Lol ideally if you’re running a rifle length gas system you’d want a rifle buffer and tube. Not saying you can’t get away with a carbine length buffer tube and buffer, just what I prefer. Some people do whatever TF they want and tune gas with adjustable gas blocks. I like the stronger buffer springs and heavier buffers if the system allows it.

Yeah thats not how this works. If your logic was correct, then you would still be backwards and the more violent cyclic rate of a shorter gas system would require the heavier buffers/springs to work.

Reactions: LeadZeke
    Yeah thats not how this works. If your logic was correct, then you would still be backwards and the more violent cyclic rate of a shorter gas system would require the heavier buffers/springs to work.
    ? I guess I’m confused on how that’s not how it works?? Mines a midlength. springco blue is one step stronger than standard and I’m using an H2. All my standard Carbine gas 14.5-16” guns ran springco red (stronger than blue) and H3s. Ive seen issues with people running standard carbine spring and buffer in a rifle length gas system. I already had a carbine buffer tube with all the springs and buffers from previous ARs. I didnt want to deal with adjustable gas blocks. I’ll admit I have no experience with midlengths with a rifle buffer tube spring and buffer and didn't really want to mess with trying it.

I don't doubt that you've seen people have problems with a given system, you'll see that with any combination of parts. The two different buffer tube lengths are easily compatible with any gas system length, the fact that a gas system and buffer system share the term rifle in their name doesn't mean they have to be paired.

Reactions: LeadZeke and Wyzrd
    I don't doubt that you've seen people have problems with a given system, you'll see that with any combination of parts. The two different buffer tube lengths are easily compatible with any gas system length, the fact that a gas system and buffer system share the term rifle in their name doesn't mean they have to be paired.
    Agreed. That’s not really what I was getting at but I see how you got there. I have a buddy with a 20” Valkyrie w/ adjustable gas block and runs a H2 with carbine spring just fine. I personally like to use the red and blue springco springs and I guess I wasn’t sure I could do so with a 18” Rifle gas setup w/o adjustable gas and Didn’t want to play around with it.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
    Looking good so far. I'll be finishing up my own spr in a couple weeks.
    I'll be using that same 2-10 optic and a 18in rifle gas barrel with a carbine buffer tube. (LoL)

• Haha
    Reactions: trob_205
    This thread is very relative to my interests. I’m in the process of buildimg an 18” SPR rifle. I’m planning to get a complete 1:7 twist 18” upper with rifle length gas from WOA in the very near future. I have most of the parts to finish the lower here or on their way. I also have a Viper Gen 2 2-10 scope coming from a member here.

I’ll have to find some of the CBC/Magtech 77gr OTM ammo for testing once everything is funished.

This thread is very relative to my interests. I’m in the process of buildimg an 18” SPR rifle. I’m planning to get a complete 1:7 twist 18” upper with rifle length gas from WOA in the very near future. I have most of the parts to finish the lower here or on their way. I also have a Viper Gen 2 2-10 scope coming from a member here.

I’ll have to find some of the CBC/Magtech 77gr OTM ammo for testing once everything is funished.
    I cannot recommend WOA enough at this point. You’ll also be surprised for the price of the Magtech when comparing it to BH MK262 ammo. I think it retails for like $35-$40/50 round boxes. It’s always shot as good or better than Black Hills for me and always 50ish FPS faster.

White Oaks is pretty good for the price, Lothar Walther is a notch above for a few more dollars I find.