• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Burris BTS35 V2 Thermal

What is a VOX Detector? Where is it made? What is the dustproof and waterproof rating?
I'm not an expert on some of the terminology some guys are using with thermal now but essentially, it's the resolution of the detector that actually acquires the image that is being displayed. Maybe there's a better way I could say but that's pretty much what it means. They could probably just use the term "detector" by itself and it would be a little less confusing haha. As far as where it's made, probably China honestly, with some work maybe being done at their facility in Colorado. It's rated for rain to my knowledge. Can't speak on dust.

I'm not an expert on some of the terminology some guys are using with thermal now but essentially, it's the resolution of the detector that actually acquires the image that is being displayed. Maybe there's a better way I could say but that's pretty much what it means. They could probably just use the term "detector" by itself and it would be a little less confusing haha. As far as where it's made, probably China honestly, with some work maybe being done at their facility in Colorado. It's rated for rain to my knowledge. Can't speak on dust.
The previous models were IP67 rated which is good. If you see that on the box that's a plus.

Way late to the party on this, didn’t realize these were coming out.

VOX means Vandium Oxide, it is the material the infrared detector is made out of. They allegedly have a 400 x 300 resolution detector with 12 um pixel pitch and a 1024 x 768 OLED display. Depending on the software it’s running these *should* be really close to the performance of the Hogster clip-on for a good deal less money.

These are IP67 rated and weigh right at 16oz

I’m extremely curious because they allegedly have 3.2x optical magnification and I can’t wrap my head around how that will work out in a thermal clip-on…

Still seems like unimpressive res and refresh rates

Upscaling it to the display doesn't mean it's any sharper than it started, right?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Okay I haven't got a clue about Thermal's so here's what I want to do. I want to hunt rockchucks during the day in a area that has terrain colors which makes rc's very hard to see unless they happen to be moving or are on top of a rock.

Will a thermal help make a rc stick out in the daytime?

Reactions: Longshot231
Sorry for the dumb question.

Okay I haven't got a clue about Thermal's so here's what I want to do. I want to hunt rockchucks during the day in a area that has terrain colors which makes rc's very hard to see unless they happen to be moving or are on top of a rock.

Will a thermal help make a rc stick out in the daytime?
Yes. I use my thermals at night but have used the Burris monocular for scanning during the day and it makes the animals pop out at you!

Once you locate the animal on thermal then use the rifle with a daylight optic to shoot them.

I was at my local range one day and saw a red glow from the thermal at the top of a tree. Looking at it with the naked eye, I could see it was obviously a squirrel nest. The animal's body heat was transferred through the nest.

Anyway, I continued to scan with the monocular and noticed another squirrel at the base of the aforementioned tree. We can't hunt at my club so I was content to watch.

Anyway, I could not pick out the squirrel with the naked eye because it blended in so well with the surrounding terrain. It was about 75 yards away but the thermal picked it up.

After a few moments the squirrel on the ground scampered up the tree and jumped in the nest to aggravate the other squirrel.

Hunting with a thermal in day time is almost like cheating. Warning, do not point your thermal to the sun as it will damage it. That warning is usually with the thermal when you purchase it.

This is doubly important if you are hunting around sunrise or sunset and your target is aligned with the rising or setting sun. In that case, I would rather pass up a shot than to risk damaging an expensive optic.

Reactions: YotaEer
Yes. I use my thermals at night but have used the Burris monocular for scanning during the day and it makes the animals pop out at you!

Once you locate the animal on thermal then use the rifle with a daylight optic to shoot them.

I was at my local range one day and saw a red glow from the thermal at the top of a tree. Looking at it with the naked eye, I could see it was obviously a squirrel nest. The animal's body heat was transferred through the nest.

Anyway, I continued to scan with the monocular and noticed another squirrel at the base of the aforementioned tree. We can't hunt at my club so I was content to watch.

Anyway, I could not pick out the squirrel with the naked eye because it blended in so well with the surrounding terrain. It was about 75 yards away but the thermal picked it up.

After a few moments the squirrel on the ground scampered up the tree and jumped in the nest to aggravate the other squirrel.

Hunting with a thermal in day time is almost like cheating. Warning, do not point your thermal to the sun as it will damage it. That warning is usually with the thermal when you purchase it.

This is doubly important if you are hunting around sunrise or sunset and your target is aligned with the rising or setting sun. In that case, I would rather pass up a shot than to risk damaging an expensive optic.

Thanks a lot for the story and reply!

I guess I better start researching what's the best bang for the buck then. I don't want to ruin this thread so if any of you have suggestions please message me.

The Burris BTS50 is being sold for 1600 over here.

I have been looking to get thermal, probably worth a try?

What about the lens... I know that for thermal long wave IR to efficiently get through to the sensor without much loss, there was like silicon germanium glass for this, which in larger objective lenses was pricey. What's the deal with this Burris, does it have 'good glass' for purposes of thermal imaging response?

What I saw from the videos of both, I hard skipped the Burris and got the hikmicro / apparently agm (in usa) 640px for 2.2k.
At that price difference you cannot justify the burris. 380 vs 640 are miles apart.