• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Bushnell 10X40 Mil/Mil- on ice

Sniper6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2006
Elko, Nevada
I just got the new Bushnell 10X40 Mil/Mil from Midway. I have not had a chance to take it to the range yet but I wanted to post a couple of pictures and tell you a couple of things about the scope.
DSCF1025.jpg

I know like my self there were a couple of others that had seen the Picture Midway had in the flyer of this scope with 8 clicks between the numbers.
This scope has the 10 clicks and 4 mils per turn of the turret.
DSCF1038.jpg

I bought some 3x9 Bushnell’s back in 1994 and this scope seems to be constructed a lot better than those were.
I took the turret cap off and found good O-rings and it looks like brass internal adjustment stems.
The clicks are not like regular loud clicks but kind of like a bumps between hash marks.
DSCF1053.jpg

This scope looks surprisingly good for the $200 price tag but I wont know until I get dialing it around and see how well it returns to zero.
As a test rifle I put the Bushnell 10X40 on my wannabe M40 .308 with TPS 1" rings.
I will let you know how testing goes.
If you have questions about the scope, I will try to answer them or post pictures for you.
DSCF1032.jpg

Re: New Bushnell 10X40 Mil/Mil

Turret cap screw and O ring.
DSCF1051-1.jpg

Better Pic of turret markings.
DSCF1066.jpg

Tube Diameter: 1"
Adjustment Click Value: 1/10 MIL
Adjustment Type: Click
Exposed Turrets: Yes
Finger Adjustable Turrets: Yes
Turrets Resettable to Zero: Yes
Zero Stop: No
Turret Height: Tall
Fast Focus Eyepiece: N/A
Lens Coating: Rain-guard multi-coated
Warranty: Limited lifetime factory warranty
Lens Covers Included: Yes
Power Variability: Fixed
Max power: 10x
Reticle Construction: Wire
Reticle: Mil-dot
Illuminated Reticle: No
Parallax Adjustment: No
Finish: Matte
Water/Fogproof: Yes
Shockproof: Yes
Airgun Rated: No
Objective Bell Diameter: 48mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 39mm
Eye Relief: 3.5"
Max Internal Adjustment:

•Elevation: 23.5 MIL (80 MOA)

•Windage: 23.5 MIL (80 MOA)

Exit Pupil Diameter: 4mm
Weight: 15.5 oz

Field of View at 100 Yards:

•11' @ 10x

Sniper6,

Give it HELL.... put it through the paces and let us know ALL the details on how it did...

See what type of abuse it will take and keep performing. I think ALL of us are always interested in GOOD quality scopes at affordable prices.

Post back when your done.

Thanks
Matt.

I love putting scopes like this through hell.
Its got some stiff competition
grin.gif

DSCN3321.jpg

waiting on full review... thinking of purchasing it.

I just bought almost the same set up with my Bushnell 10x, except im running Warne two piece bases on my Rem700 SPS Tac.

sniper6, thats a sweet rifle.

op, glad you took the plunge. im looking at this one too

Nice rifle. You seem to suggest the clicks are subtle. Are they at least distinct and in sync with the markings?

Looking farward to the rest of your review. If you put your camera on macro (flower) mode you'll be able to get even closer for the shots of knobs. Your pics are way above avg though. I can see the effort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle. You seem to suggest the clicks are subtle. Are they at least distinct and in sync with the markings?
</div></div>

I had the 10X tactical non-mil version and it tracked fine, the clicks can be felt but they aren't audible. They are great scopes for the money, I can't think of any other "tactical" scope for 200 or less that I would recommend to anyone.

Watching this. My eyes are on this scope while its still on sale. Looking forward to what else you have to say about it.

oh hey, can a sunshade be used with this scope? i know it doesnt come with one, but can one be added? will it thread on??

It should only be an improvement over the original 1/4 MOA turret version that is still pretty popular as a low-budget scope.

I have one of the 1/4 MOA ones and I have laways felt it provides more value, cost/performance, than any other scope I have owned.

It's great to see the mil/mil version.
Great move by Bushnell!

Makes me want to sell mine for the mil version.

The original model would not accept a threaded sunshade and I doubt this one is any different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle. You seem to suggest the clicks are subtle. Are they at least distinct and in sync with the markings?
</div></div>

I had the 10X tactical non-mil version and it tracked fine, the clicks can be felt but they aren't audible. They are great scopes for the money, I can't think of any other "tactical" scope for 200 or less that I would recommend to anyone. </div></div>

You hit the nail on the head <span style="font-weight: bold">BCP</span> with your comment about the clicks. “They can be felt but they aren't audible".
I am still testing and so far I am really impressed with this little scope for the $200 price.

The glass seems to be pretty good but I do use the ocular fast focus a lot more than I do on my other scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made myself a zero-stop from delrin rod.
Works pretty well on the original 10x.
CIMG0238.JPG
</div></div>

That is a great little zero stop you have there <span style="font-weight: bold">Rafael</span>, I need to make one after I do a little more testing. GOOD IDEA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh hey, can a sunshade be used with this scope? i know it doesnt come with one, but can one be added? will it thread on?? </div></div>

I don’t see that the end is threaded?? It might unscrew for a sun shade but it would require me to put a pipe wrench on it. It does not unscrew for me by hand.
Here is you a picture of the objective end.

DSCF1119.jpg

If you unscrew it, the objective lens will fall out, probably to the detriment of sight picture.

The zero stop works well and is easily removeable.

I will try to remember to post dimensions tomorrow....send me a PM reminder if I forget.

Of course.... thickness is going to be different on each weapon/base combination so you will have to experiment to get it close to your zero point.

Ok, I am really impressed with this scope now. I went to the range for a while today and started by zeroing the scope. Zeroing took only 6 rounds at 100yds and then I covered the holes with small pieces of duct tape.
I really like the shape and gripping area of the turrets, . I also like the cap screw for resetting the turrets.

After I had my zero this is what I did.

1. Shot the 100yd target you see.
2.Dialed up 1.3 mil and shot a rock setting on the 300yd berm
3. Dialed back to zero and almost hit the diamond.
4. Dialed up 2.2 mil and shot at a clay pigeon on the 400yd berm. I hit a little high.
5. I dialed in 2.0 and shot again hitting the clay pigeon as dead center as I think I possibly could..
6.Dialed back to zero and almost hit the diamond again.
7. Dialed back up 2.0 and gave it 3 clicks left for wind and hit another clay pigeon at 400yds. wow!
8.Dialed back to zero and shot again. I knew I messed this one up when I pulled the trigger. It is the hole you see that is high out of the group.
9.Dialed up 4.3 mil and shot at a small gong on the 600yd berm. I hit high and right.
10.I dialed down to 4.0 mil and went 6 clicks left for wind. I shot and hit the very top of the little gong.
11..Dialed back to zero and almost hit the diamond again. This one almost went through the exact same hole as my first shot.

I shot 20 more rounds at other stuff laying between 100 and 600 yards and the scope performed great.

The 5 shot group measured 1” center to center after all of the dialing,shooting and the one I messed up.
DSCF1129.jpg

I screwed the eye focus in all the way and it seemed to work quite well during all of this shooting.
The glass seemed real clear and never felt like it was hazy .
I took a picture of the 100yd target through the scope for you but I cant really capture the true clarity of it.
DSCF1120.jpg

I am surprised with this scope so far and I wasn’t expecting to feel that way about it when I ordered it.
I wish it had a Zero stop.I think <span style="font-weight: bold">Rafael</span> is going to hook me up with the measurments to make one.
I wish the clicks were louder.
I really like the Turret shape.
I like the thickness of the reticle. It is slightly thinner than my SS10X42.
I would not hesitate ordering one guys. If you don’t like it, Sell it!
If this scope price is in the budget you are looking for or you have an extra rifle that you want to scope without breaking your wallet, it seems like a great little 10X.
Hell I wouldn’t mind owning another one now.

DSCF1124.jpg

I am going to put it in the freezer and under water just to see what happens. I have a lot more shooting to do with this scope but so far I am very impressed with it for the price.

i just got one of these too that I am going to try on a .22 that I have. I got it cause it was cheap and mil mil. I didnt wanna buy an MOA scope cause all my other stuff was mil mil, so it was nice to be able to stay there even with my .22

If I like it enough I might consider selling my falcon for a few hundred bones and mounting this thing on my target AR. or getting another one.

thanks for the review! I cant wait to hear what happens after you freeze and put it under water. You should stick it in the oven too! haha

I would probably not put one of these on a .22 rimfire unless I intended to shoot no closer than 100 yards. Inside 100 yards the parallax can be rather nasty with this scope.

I got it for a match that is shot out to 250-275 so I could dial the dope in. Id never really shot my .22 past 100, and so I figured this little guy could help. And then I would still have a good scope if I didnt want to leave it on there. You think it will work alright for that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made myself a zero-stop from delrin rod.
CIMG0238.JPG
</div></div>

Outside diameter of this is .930".
Inside diameter is .435".
Mine is .435" tall....but this will vary with the weapon/base/zero point. Mine is a 308, zeroed at 100 yards with a Badger 20MOA base.
The turret moves about .120" per 10 MOA(one revolution).

If you do not have a 20MOA base....you will not want to be anywhere near my height measurement.
The piece should be made .012" taller for each 1-MOA decrease in base inclination......so a 0-MOA base would call for a piece that is .240" taller or .675" tall.

Also....you want to add a bit of height as you begin testing; to be sure the turret stops where you want it. Every rifle and zero distance will be different......you will have to experiment to find the correct height for yours.

If you cut one too short.....the stopping point may fall well below your zero and you will have to cut a new one.

I put the Bushnell 10X40 in the freezer for four hours and sprayed it with water every 30 min.
I did this until it was frozen down to the foil pan I made for it.
DSCF1130.jpg

DSCF1136.jpg

DSCF1135.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

I took it out of the freezer and took some pictures for you then I took it to the sink and ran warm water over it to get all of the ice off.
After that I put it in the sink under water for 5 minutes timed. I took it out and wiped off the lenses.
Next I took it out and set it up pointed at a power pole at 551yards and took some pictures through it.
DSCF1140.jpg

DSCF1141.jpg

No problems! I didn’t see any internal fogging or water spots.
This scope passed this little test with flying colors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made myself a zero-stop from delrin rod.
CIMG0238.JPG
</div></div>

Mine is .435" tall....but this will vary with the weapon/base/zero point. Mine is a 308, zeroed at 100 yards with a Badger 20MOA base. </div></div>

Thank you <span style="font-weight: bold">Rafael</span> !
I will use your numbers as a starting point to make me one.
This scope will be real sweet with a zero stop.
grin.gif

Saw one of these at Fishermans Marine Supply the other day and was interested. This might be a new AR or 10/22 scope for me. Just gotta save and justify it to House Hold 6 lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only it was in a 30mm... that would fun to try out..

</div></div>
Why does that matter?
This scope has more adjustment range than many 30mm tubed scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rafael said:
I made myself a zero-stop from delrin rod.

Mine is .435" tall....but this will vary with the weapon/base/zero point. Mine is a 308, zeroed at 100 yards with a Badger 20MOA base. </div></div>

Thank you <span style="font-weight: bold">Rafael</span> !
I will use your numbers as a starting point to make me one.
This scope will be real sweet with a zero stop.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Go back and read my post again....I added some details.

That is understandable, but rings are fairly easy to come by.
I own only four scopes but have at least six pair of rings in various varieties.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is understandable, but rings are fairly easy to come by.
I own only four scopes but have at least six pair of rings in various varieties. </div></div>

I re-read your post <span style="font-weight: bold">Rafael</span> ,Thanks!

Rings were not a problem for me. I got a set of TPS 1” from SWFA for $75.00 with shipping.
Leupold makes MK4 1” for around $140 and Burris XTR are around $70.
I was worried about the 1” tube until I found out it has 23.5mil travel. I have a 20 moa base on top of that so this scope will work just fine on my 308.

I would like to make a .30BR or 300 whisper and put this scope on it. I think it would be a lot of fun to plink with and it would not weigh a lot.

Got a 3200 10X mil/mil in yesterday. Looks/feels like a pretty solid little scope. Nice clear glass. All markings on the scope are subdued. 4 mils per rev, index marks at each 1/10 mil.

Mounted it up on the 10/22. Zeroed at 20 yds, and that put it dead on at 70 yards, and within 1" from 20-70 yds. One mil down at 100 yards with Federal bulk ammo.

No parallax makes image fuzzy inside 25 yards or so, but reticle is in focus. At 50+ yards it's nice and clear. I stopped at 100 yards today, as lightning was firing overhead.

This will be a fun scope to take the 22 out past 100 yards. I only have 7 mils "up", and 15 mils "down" on the flat base, aboard my 10/22. Have Burris Signature rings in the pipeline, with the eccentric insert kit. Figure I can put about 11-12 more mils on the "up" side, and have enough internal travel to make 400 yards.

I've taken mine out to 1,000 meters with .308. These have a lot of elevation range. My rifle has a flat base on it.

I have a MIL/MIL one coming next week.

It's outstanding, at how much this little scope has developed a strong following.

Here's mine on my SPS Tac .223 Finally got to take her out last weekend, very happy with it, Just need to push my shooting skill to test it more.

DSCF5625small.jpg

I want one...

Any more info on it? This might be able to hold me over until I can afford the NF or something similar, has anyone had any issues with the lack of parallax adjustment?

No, I was shooting a very consistant 50 yards -1" groups with it all day. Then out to touch at 500, then back to 50 yards. This scope is a quality bit of kit!

COnsidering the price, I guess it's a toss up between an SS or this... Anyone compare them side by side?

I have Both.
The SS10X42 in my opinion is still a better scope. More travel, 30 mm tube and it looks like the SS is a better built scope but it is only Mil/MOA. unless you get the HD that is $800.

So if you want the Mil/Mil for the low price you need to stick with the Bushnell. The 1" tube still has plenty of travel and it is a tough little scope.

To my eyes the glass is about the same for both scopes.

I like the Mil/Mil so I would get the Bushnell if I were to get another one in this price range.

I might get another super sniper then, I love the one I have now.

God. I want one of these. I like mine but have a 5-15x40 Tactical on my rifle instead of the 10x40. I dont mind the Mil/MOA but would love the matching one and that Zero-Stop is an AWESOME IDEA. I have to try that. I dont like the lack of paralax adjustment on the scope but need to test it more compared to the 5-15x40 with its AO. I dont like the lack of adjustment and such the two scopes seem to jump between eachother on my rifle to see which one I prefer. Im not completly certain yet. Hopefully will test today and see how it goes.

Super sniper and this are both good scopes - as far adjustment goes they both have enough that really shouldn't be an issue with either one. I sold my bushnell and kept my SS10X but in all honesty I got the exact same use out of both of them.

I'll keep that in mind, I'd love to have matching turrets, make things simpler....