• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New caliber itch, opinions needed

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
Am bored, I have been shooting and reloading 6.5cm for about 2 years and 6cm for one for the type of shooting I do they’re perfect. Am able to shoot all the way out to 1354yds at my local club but typically I stay in around 550-1150, both this calibers are more than capable of accurate shooting at those distances. When doing positional shooting I shoot 6cm and it’s easy to manage and stay on target, when I want to shoot prone or off a bench I shoot 6.5cm which gives me a bit more punch of farther steel.

I want to try something new, mostly just because I want to try something new. Maybe something that can do both types of shooting I do, I was looking at the 6GT and have been reading about it but it seems like it doesn’t really do anything better that the 6cm right? Longer barrel life? Maybe 6.5x47 lapua? Would like to stay within the same powder compatibility of the CM due to current shortage as well as SA standard bolt.
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Longuy and simonp
25x47 is a pretty sweet little caliber too

6GT you can zoom at 3000 fps or slow down at 2700 fps. It's a nice, versatile cartridge. With much less recoil than 6.5 or 6 cm.

Being familiar with where you shoot, I would say you can stay in the 6mm realm or push it far with something like a Sherman or PRC.

Or be like all the (new) cool kids and shoot 25 cal.

6GT you can zoom at 3000 fps or slow down at 2700 fps. It's a nice, versatile cartridge. With much less recoil than 6.5 or 6 cm.

Being familiar with where you shoot, I would say you can stay in the 6mm realm or push it far with something like a Sherman or PRC.

Or be like all the (new) cool kids and shoot 25 cal.
I have wanted to be cool my whole life, thanks for the advice.

• Haha
Reactions: NiteQwill
There are a bunch of 6mm you could shoot - you could pick up a little precision and give up a few fps, but it's still a 6mm.

There are a bunch of 6.5s you could shoot - but how different will those be from your 6.5 cm?

Why not move up a class and pick something in the magnum class? 6.5 PRC, 7 SAUM, 300 PRC? That way if you ever have the chance to go out longer, you've got a good rifle to do it with.

Or go archaic, I was gifted a .228 Ackley Magnum. Sometime the oldies can be goodies.

Both are great rounds. I'm loving my GT though. I've gone through 8 barrels on them and the performance is great! But it all depends on what you're wanting to use it for. Nothing is great for everything.

7 saum a little faster , larger bullets , all can be had in a short action and if your lucky it might just bolt down to your existing rig two hex screws to change in or out . don't go super hot and you could end up with about the same barrel life as your 6.5 creedmoor

Reactions: Islas82
I have thought about it but it would be too much of a change reloading and rifle wise. Maybe 6.5 PRC would be a good choice since I’ll just have to change my bolt to a magnum face but PRC components might be an issue.

You've definitely got 1000 and in, positional covered with those rounds. You could build another 6mm but really wouldn't get you much. I'd build a 6.5 PRC and play around at those longer distances at your range. You'll run into coal limitations with a short action mag, but think you can shoot the low 140 class bullets without an issue. I'd love to recommend the 7 saum, but finding brass is an exercise in futility.

22BR? 25GT? If you want any new caliber with an off the shelf prefit, probably easiest to find that first and decide which you want to mess with…although bugholes (among others) will cut a blank into whatever prefit you want.

The problem with going bigger, is it takes more powder. So what does 6.5 PRC gain you beyond a lot more powder burned? If you aren’t hunting, not much, in my estimation. More splash? Bigger clang?

Personally, I find the 25s to be intriguing without needing a change in bolt or 100% more powder.

22BR? 25GT? If you want any new caliber with an off the shelf prefit, probably easiest to find that first and decide which you want to mess with…although bugholes (among others) will cut a blank into whatever prefit you want.

The problem with going bigger, is it takes more powder. So what does 6.5 PRC gain you beyond a lot more powder burned? If you aren’t hunting, not much, in my estimation. More splash? Bigger clang?

Personally, I find the 25s to be intriguing without needing a change in bolt or 100% more powder.
Who makes 25 Creedmoor dies?

Who makes 25 Creedmoor dies?

They have a significant Black Friday deal going on right now. Ends tomorrow.

I use all SAC dies and love 'em. One SAC die can cover both your 6.5 CM and 25 CM. ;-)

Smaller bushing for your 6.5CM die, I believe Would be the way to go. Could do 22CM too I suppose.

Great recommendations guys, thanks. My thought is to stay in the standard bolt SA family of cartridges. I want to move away from 6.5 and 6cm and concentrate in just 1 cartridge since I don’t really have the time to add another so whichever route I go it would be the only I shoot. Seems like 25CM is the best of both worlds and am half way there as far as reloading capabilities, kinda wish there was more die options. The GT cartridges also seem interesting and they have more reloading and pre-fit support which is a huge positive.

Guy around here runs 22GT and loves it if you want to go smaller. 25cm should kick ass.

Guy around here runs 22GT and loves it if you want to go smaller. 25cm should kick ass.
Not a lot of options for .257 caliber bullets? I haven’t dived too deeply but from what I see only the Berger 135s and it seems like Hornady will be coming out with a 134g eld soon.

Not a lot of options for .257 caliber bullets? I haven’t dived too deeply but from what I see only the Berger 135s and it seems like Hornady will be coming out with a 134g eld soon.
131 blackjacks were a popular choice for 25cm…maybe check into availability…

When my 6.5cm barrel is done, I'm going 25cm. Berger high bc bullets seem to be more readily available, same powders and primers you're currently using. And Hornady is coming out with this...

Here is a thread on 25cm load data...

Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted

Reactions: Islas82 and nn8734
When my 6.5cm barrel is done, I'm going 25cm. Berger high bc bullets seem to be more readily available, same powders and primers you're currently using. And Hornady is coming out with this...

Of all the suggestions thus far, 25CM fits the OPs requirements best, IMO…def an intriguing caliber/cartridge

It’s starting to look like 25CM is the way to go, I reached out to foster to see if they can make dies for it, they have a 22CM die on theirs site don’t see why they couldn’t. The SAC modular dies are nice and all but way more than I need (cries in poor).

If blackjack is making their 131 ACE they would be worth looking at. And Berger. Always Berger.

It’s starting to look like 25CM is the way to go, I reached out to foster to see if they can make dies for it, they have a 22CM die on theirs site don’t see why they couldn’t. The SAC modular dies are nice and all but way more than I need (cries in poor).
If this is going to be your only rifle/cartridge going forward, id spend the money on quality dies like SAC’s…if not then disregard…

Call someone like whidden and see what they say. They can a:make you one or B: verify that you an just neck down the 6.5 version.

Call someone like whidden and see what they say. They can a:make you one or B: verify that you an just neck down the 6.5 version.
I hope so..... I plan to use my LE Wilson full length bushing 6.5CM die with a smaller diameter bushing...

Someone please inform if they know that this will not work.

I hope so..... I plan to use my LE Wilson full length bushing 6.5CM die with a smaller diameter bushing...

Someone please inform if they know that this will not work.
I saw a thread on accurate shooter where people were saying they were doing exactly that and getting good results. Now my OCD doesn’t let me do that and I would like a designated die.

Reactions: owyheerat
I saw a thread on accurate shooter where people were saying they were doing exactly that and getting good results. Now my OCD doesn’t let me do that and I would like a designated die.
No reason it shouldn’t. I’ve been shooting 25 creed for 2- 2.5 years now using redding 6.5 full length bushing dies with a different bushing and there microsester with a different stem but that’s not needed

I just sent them an email requesting an ETA for the 131s; will update this thread once i get a response…

@Islas82 - Manson may also make dies.
I’d be curious too, but I’m pretty sure they folded unfortunately. I’m down to my last 300-500 131’s

No reason it shouldn’t. I’ve been shooting 25 creed for 2- 2.5 years now using redding 6.5 full length bushing dies with a different bushing and there microsester with a different stem but that’s not needed
How do you like it? How far are you shooting with it?

I love my 25 creed. I wish I went 25x47 simply because I’ve always wanted a caliber that was ..x47 whether it be 6.5, 25 or 6. Other than that it’s great! Been plenty accurate, 131’s at 2900 fps is where I’m running it, with sd of 6 ish, and holding just under 1/2 moa. I prefer my 6bra but it would have to be my second favourite cartridge right now

I’d be curious too, but I’m pretty sure they folded unfortunately. I’m down to my last 300-500 131’s
I just called the number on their website and it went to voicemail with a non-business greeting…

There’s always the 135 Berger, assuming that stays in production and available.

I just called the number on their website and it went to voicemail with a non-business greeting…

There’s always the 135 Berger, assuming that stays in production and available.
Oh I’m sure berger and hornady won’t drop it. They had a huge demand for it when blackjack made the 25 popular and then they closed up. Now they are the sole manufacturers for decent bullets. They have the market!