• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New car prices

Bradu

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
IL
Just wondering how many have priced a new car recently and how much over sticker price they are asking? I priced a Honda civic and the want 5k over sticker for a $28k car. I damn sure don't need a vehicle that bad😂

Last month I bought a brand new Toyota in Bend Oregon. They wanted $1500 over MSRP but I wouldn’t budge..I got the vehicle for sticker price Paid cash

Paid sticker price for a Chevy 2500 HD back in December. Nothing was marked up.

Just got off the phone with another dealer $3995 mark up on a civic through them.

There is a built in $1500 delivery fee in my area, other than that its straight sticker. The downside is there are NO new cars/trucks at all. Right at a time when my 2018 titan XD has pissed me off with $13k in work and I want to ditch it for something else before the warranty expires.

Bought a Toyota Corolla Hybrid for sticker. 52 mpg on average, I have gotten as high as 58 traveling back roads.

My friend who is finance manager for he company got me the deal, but says that in the 3 dealers she covers there ar a total of 5 cars in the pipeline.

I asked them "How much to kick a tire?"... Even that was not in my budget.

Attachments

• IMG_6093.JPG
    IMG_6093.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6094.JPG
    IMG_6094.JPG
    559.5 KB · Views: 168
At my local Toyota dealer, they wanted my Rav4 (leased) so bad they traded us a year early. Wiped out that year and market value trade-in. The problem was catching a new Rav coming into them that wasn't spoken for with the options my wife wanted. Mine is supposed to be built later this month.

A family member ordered a F350 for his business. Before Ford delivered (6 months after he ordered it) they were offering him $8000 more to walk away from it for a different one. He took the one he ordered because he needed it.

At my local Toyota dealer, they wanted my Rav4 (leased) so bad they traded us a year early. Wiped out that year and market value trade-in. The problem was catching a new Rav coming into them that wasn't spoken for with the options my wife wanted. Mine is supposed to be built later this month.

A family member ordered a F350 for his business. Before Ford delivered (6 months after he ordered it) they were offering him $8000 more to walk away from it for a different one. He took the one he ordered because he needed it.
I think I would have grabbed the 8K, ordered something else for MSRP and laughed.

Why would anyone pay over sticker for a mass produced vehicle that when the bubble burts, will depreciate like a rock? I used to be of the mindset that I had to have a new car every 2-3 years, like most Americans. Until I realized what a monumental waste of money that is. I wouldn't mind getting a more fuel efficient vehicle, but I'm not paying even MSRP for one. I'll just keep my truck and Jeep until the wheels fall off.

When you have Tens of Thousands of F series trucks, Bronco and other SUVBs sitting on lots because they can't get Chips, and they are going to be scrapped because they sat too long, what do you think that does to the price of available supply?

This shit is not rocket science. Everything is going up in price and these issues were present before that due to the supply chain and pandemic shit.

Commodities are going through the roof, Nickle just hit 100K per ton and a dude in China had a 2 Billion dollar margin call yesterday. The majority of titanium is sourced from russia who just threatened to cut off the supply to the west. Lots of other Rare Earth Elements and precursors such as Potash making fertilizer that is needed for the GMO crops we use skyrocket in price.

Get use to it, its going to get much worse. Start stashing a years worth a food away if you haven't already.

The point is, if you need a car or truck and can buy one, then do it and stop bitching about it. We know.

I hadn’t bought a new vehicle in over 12 years. The 15 miles per gallon for a daily driver was getting a little bit old.

With the price of fuel the way it is today I’m glad I got this compact SUV.

I just ordered a new Ram 2500 and I am paying 4K under sticker... so I guess I'm enjoying my long walk to wait for my new truck....

I do need to sell my old truck but with the wait times I don't need to get desperate and take a low ball offer

Reactions: DIBBS
Why would anyone pay over sticker for a mass produced vehicle that when the bubble burts, will depreciate like a rock? I used to be of the mindset that I had to have a new car every 2-3 years, like most Americans. Until I realized what a monumental waste of money that is. I wouldn't mind getting a more fuel efficient vehicle, but I'm not paying even MSRP for one. I'll just keep my truck and Jeep until the wheels fall off.
because too many Americans equate wealth, social standing, and self worth by the car they drive. Biggest waste of money there is but to pay sticker or more, especially now, is beyond dumb and those that do, deserve to sink with it when the bubble dies.

because too many Americans equate wealth, social standing, and self worth by the car they drive. Biggest waste of money there is but to pay sticker or more, especially now, is beyond dumb and those that do, deserve to sink with it when the bubble dies.

Well, the reason I bought a brand new truck has nothing to do with "social standing", as you implied. Hell, I live 3 miles east of nowhere, with 2 neighbors for 5 miles. Keeping up with the Jones' is not in everyone's line of sight. I bought it because I was tired of bouncing around in a 2001 F250 4wd, with 337,000 miles. I'm retiring the end of the month. Most likely it'll be the last truck I'll ever buy. With my cash buyout of accumulated sick and vacation time, I paid cash for it. Could I have taken the $60K and done something else with it? Sure. Probably even made a bunch money off it. But, I feel I deserve it after working 3/4 of my life.

Well, the reason I bought a brand new truck has nothing to do with "social standing", as you implied. Hell, I live 3 miles east of nowhere, with 2 neighbors for 5 miles. Keeping up with the Jones' is not in everyone's line of sight. I bought it because I was tired of bouncing around in a 2001 F250 4wd, with 337,000 miles. I'm retiring the end of the month. Most likely it'll be the last truck I'll ever buy. With my cash buyout of accumulated sick and vacation time, I paid cash for it. Could I have taken the $60K and done something else with it? Sure. Probably even made a bunch money off it. But, I feel I deserve it after working 3/4 of my life.
you're right, there are valid reasons but it certainly holds true on the bell curve if you look at reports on why people buy/lease so frequently and that is very strong with younger buyers. In the NE, the avg lease is under 3yrs which is insane.

Maybe for you.

Why does everyone project their own insecurities and try to feel superior on everyone else?

You don't know why other people do what they do. Maybe, just Maybe they make a decision based on whats best for them.

The dollar is it on its way to run away inflation. There is no way around it.

Vehicles are a better store of wealth than cash. Look at used truck prices for last 10 years. Maybe 50 or 80K is alot of money to you, but to many it aint shit. The same idiots think making $100K a year is alot of money. Yea it is, if it was still 1990.

These geriatric fucks with barely 2 brain cells to rub together still think its 80's/90's. They are out of touch with reality.

Reactions: Biggie1976
Maybe for you.

Why does everyone project their own insecurities and try to feel superior on everyone else?

You don't know why other people do what they do. Maybe, just Maybe they make a decision based on whats best for them.

The dollar is it on its way to run away inflation. There is no way around it.

Vehicles are a better store of wealth than cash. Look at used truck prices for last 10 years. Maybe 50 or 80K is alot of money to you, but to many it aint shit. The same idiots think making $100K a year is alot of money. Yea it is, if it was still 1990.

These geriatric fucks with barely 2 brain cells to rub together still think its 80's/90's. They are out of touch with reality.
slowdown, no one is projecting any insecurities but what I said holds true per many reports and marketing initiatives for new cars.

you are monumentally retarded if you think vehicles are a better store of wealth than cash when it's universally proven that vehicles depreciate at some of the fastest rates for consumable assets and especially so when you consider opportunity costs of cash even in cds (which I recognize are paltry rates but still not negative like a driving a car off the lot). You bring up trucks, truck pricing for used were in the cellar prior to 2yrs ago. A blip over a short period does not make trend or validate that view at all. Hell, the incentives for used trucks were ridiculously favorable for years prior to recent events. I have one, love it and won't get rid of it but in 2yrs time, people will wish they didn't pay through the nose for them.

I don't think 50-80k for a car is a lot of money seeing as I own two classics worth that and more and paid cash for them. The reason I can do things like that is because I don't spend stupidly i.e, 80k for a new truck that in 5yrs will be less than half.

oh and let's not forget that financing helps for new car prices vs used car prices despite the store of value.

The sad reality is that people look at monthly income as to what they can afford and that is flat out stupid

Reactions: Lumbeejake
I had not bought a new car in 20 years probably won't in the next 30 god willing , for what is being offered they are way over priced .

I am in agreement with you........ Paying cash for an item, during these times, is the way to go. Bought and paid for is a cornerstone of financial stability and independence. Stay healthy....

How about this, I'll sell anyone a sweet truck for a good price so you're not paying a premium price 😉

But the dealers are ridiculous to keep the thread moving. I had one sales rep call me back and I gave him the name of the dealer who I was dealing with. He bought a personal truck from them! Pretty funny how his own employer was charging him more. It will somewhat correct if more dealers don't get greedy

Reactions: DIBBS
There are deals to be had you just have to be ready to jump or travel.

Bought a new Miata last June(before shit started getting REAL crazy) for 3500 off MSRP when every other dealer was selling at MSRP. This dealer had 10 Miata's on the lot, I can get S-plan through my SCCA membership, they were willing to accept it. Score for me.

Ordered my F350 through a dealer in Iowa that is doing 2% off invoice which is almost 7k bucks off...now add in 2 price increases since I ordered to the tune of 2295 I will be buying this truck for almost 10k off MSRP... problem is...the time line has been pushed out 3-4 months EXTRA(was original 4-6 months order to delivery, now 8-9 months). I can wait to save 10k.

Bought a 2021 F150 to tide me over until the F350 shows up. Sticker was 68.8k... paid 60800. Was the dealer GM's demo truck. Had 1500 miles on it. Ford had 1k rebate on 2021's, The dealer knocked 5k off and then I had a 2k dollar PCO(private cash offer) from Ford. Then I got 0% financing for 48 months. Truck is worth 64k as it sits today LOL...

Last edited:
Correct if I'm wrong, which seems to occur on a more regular basis these days.

Doesn't MSRP have a 20-25% cost built in over what the dealer pays? If you really need the vehicle, go ahead and pay above and beyond this, me I think I'll pass.

Last brand new vehicle I purchased, a 2013 Tacoma, I paid $500 over dealer cost. Now you probably cant do that- with shortages on some models.

However, if I do get in the market for a new vehicle I will do my research again, and not pay any more than I have to... since I'm a retired poor!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

(provided we aren't still living in a Banana Republic lala land, or communist country at that time.

I ordered a new Super Duty back in August of last year, took delivery first week in December.
I bought it for $50.00 over invoice, about 5K off of sticker price.

oh and let's not forget that financing helps for new car prices vs used car prices despite the store of value.

The sad reality is that people look at monthly income as to what they can afford and that is flat out stupid
Financing is what you want. Paying cash is for morons. Cash flow is what matters.

NPV of the dollar with ultra low interest rates means you are paying back with inflated dollars, meaning as time goes on, you are paying less each month in NPV.

People don't think Finance be like it be, but it do.

Reactions: Bender
slowdown, no one is projecting any insecurities but what I said holds true per many reports and marketing initiatives for new cars.

you are monumentally retarded if you think vehicles are a better store of wealth than cash when it's universally proven that vehicles depreciate at some of the fastest rates for consumable assets and especially so when you consider opportunity costs of cash even in cds (which I recognize are paltry rates but still not negative like a driving a car off the lot). You bring up trucks, truck pricing for used were in the cellar prior to 2yrs ago. A blip over a short period does not make trend or validate that view at all. Hell, the incentives for used trucks were ridiculously favorable for years prior to recent events. I have one, love it and won't get rid of it but in 2yrs time, people will wish they didn't pay through the nose for them.

I don't think 50-80k for a car is a lot of money seeing as I own two classics worth that and more and paid cash for them. The reason I can do things like that is because I don't spend stupidly i.e, 80k for a new truck that in 5yrs will be less than half.
Really? Go lookup the Price of a 2017 Ford F250 or F350 with 75K miles. Diesel fully optioned was probably about $75K new and Gas with mid tier about $55K.

Now show me where I can buy a King Ranch or Platnium 2017 Diesel sell with 75K for $42.5K or Less.
Also, Show me where I can buy a XLT or Lariat F250 Gas with 75K for $22.5K or Less.

Used truck prices have been high since the end of 2012.

You fuckers are living in lala land and so out of touch with reality it hurts.

Bought some last year (end March), paid 8% off msrp. Ordered some, in May/June 6% off msrp. Trades were valued high so out with the old.
Mine were all wranglers, they hold their value as long as you don't buy one with every option.

Correct if I'm wrong, which seems to occur on a more regular basis these days.

Doesn't MSRP have a 20-25% cost built in over what the dealer pays?

I wouldnt say 20-25%...

10-15% would be more in the ballpark.

And "invoice" isnt really dealer cost because there is "hold back", volume incentives, floor plan incentives, finance incentives, etc...

Most dealers wont give you their hold back and obviously there is no way to know what the various incentives are from the manufacturer to the dealer so most people feel invoice price is a decent place to work from. I would say hold back is another 2-3% from invoice.

Not buying ammo or new cars right now......dumb, in my opinion. To each their own, tomorrow is not guaranteed. Cant take your coins with you. If a new cars makes you happy.....do it!

I’m with you. Our main vehicle which is a 2000 3/4 ton Suburban, left me stranded when the firewall connections for the heater hose, literally rotted. Though the repair was easily done after a tow and a couple weeks waiting, Brenda decided she did not want to be driving all over the country in a (then) 20 year old vehicle with right at 300,000 miles. Though not quite as far away, we live 7 miles from the nearest store and 15 miles from a small town (grocery and auto parts stores and a small hospital) and 40 miles from anywhere that has real services.

We were lucky. This happened not long before the great shortages began. (As in joe biden taking office) So, Brenda demanded and we purchased a basic full sized GMC pickup. Its not a status issuer its a way to get back and forth. Further, its a basic truck, much nicer than what a fellow or lady could purchase ten years ago, but still basic. And carrying two full bags of groceries on a bicycle, up and down our hills is not much fun. Getting back and forth to town is pretty much necessary.

Yep, old joe and his minions wants us all crammed into concrete multi-story “apartment” buildings (more like cell blocks to me) in the middle of a large collection of like, cell blocks. If that’s for you, go for it. Myself, The closet thing to a city I’ll ever live in is the Veteran’s Cemetery just below Rayville, Louisiana. And, even at 73, I ain’t planning on moving anytime soon!

Paying sticker for a car? Even more?? LOL, no thanks.

Wait a minute....you mean I can get a different price??? Since when??? It's usually already filled out for me.

I wouldnt say 20-25%...

10-15% would be more in the ballpark.

And "invoice" isnt really dealer cost because there is "hold back", volume incentives, floor plan incentives, finance incentives, etc...

Most dealers wont give you their hold back and obviously there is no way to know what the various incentives are from the manufacturer to the dealer so most people feel invoice price is a decent place to work from. I would say hold back is another 2-3% from invoice.
Actually, this site gives you a really good idea of what the actual cost is and shows the manufacturer hold back as well… just pick the make model you want

Had to pay sticker on my new truck. Inventory was very low and people were paying above MSRP on cars in the metro area. Was in a crunch because my car was totaled and we had 48 hours before rental ran out. SEveral dealers wanted MSRP + More for cars not even on lot yet. (I walked). Therin lies the problem. Somebody is buying these cars at at MSRP+$5000. So even if you walk, supply is so low, they can get away with charging it.

This is the first time I've ever had to play close to sticker price. It isn't pretty out there. Supply and Demand sucks when you are the one in need of Supply in a shortage. I tend to keep my vehicles a LONG time though. Normally I can hit invoice, but this sure as hell ain't normal, and I only bought because 3 drivers and 1 car is very very bad on scheduling in a large metro