• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new career ideas

persistant7500

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Buckeye AZ
The doc has officially told me I am retired from construction as they prepare to try to replace 14 disks in my neck and back. in everybody's experience what would be a good career to look into for someone with 28 years of construction under his belt. I have been a air rifle and small bore sporter class coach for the last 2.5 yrs and have some success to show for it (3rd place AFJROTC, and 13th place interservice championships at Aniston AL just a couple weeks ago. I would love to make a living as a coach but have no idea how I can make that happen since I am not a retired officer or enlisted. So if you would shout some thoughts to me

Re: new career ideas

how about a Sales Rep for one of the companies that supplies construction materials ... like ramset here

Just an idea..

I will look into that, I am having my resume drawn up by a pro, I will have her tailor one that direction

This job is always exciting:

horse_collection_a.21285836_std.jpg

Just no drinking on the job.

That's rough on the neck/ back issues. How about the money side of the construction business. The guy who does the selling of the services. I imagine you have a hell of a good list of contacts in the industry and probably know a bunch of guys that are constantly looking for work.

My brother did almost the same thing with the electrical side of the house. He got layed off from a great small company that he busted his ass for. When the boss man screwed up and pissed his business away he had to let all his highly paid guys go. My bro collected for two months while looking for a job, then said screw it. He started up a business and is now swamped with work and has six guys working for him.

He now answeres his cell phone, rides out and prices jobs and sends his guys to do the work. He is making more than he has in the past and does not get dirty anymore unless he wants to.

His issue now is either hire more guys or turn jobs down.

I feel for ya, brother. Ive got about 8 bad vertabrae. Pain in the ass (and other places). Good for you for not just giving up.

Mabey after 28 years your ready for a change. My neighbor works from home on his computer...Sales work for Crutchfield, a large electronics firm. I couldnt do it, need to be out and about, but it might be an idea, or at least a place to start, for you. Good luck with the surgeries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This job is always exciting:

Just no drinking on the job. </div></div>

cid_E780B28FAFE2413B9E398EFD7CC25A04alligator.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rokbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Home inspector, around here they are making 250-500 per home. </div></div>

After 17 years as a home inspector, my knees and back are starting to rebel whenever I have to slither through a crawlspace or wind through the framing in an attic. I doubt that it would be easier with a spine full of bad discs.
What about getting yourself set up as an independent sales rep/distributor for a line of products targeting a niche - maybe something in energy conservation.

I am not sure how much mobility I will have after all the work is done, I really want to coach high school or college air rifle or small bore. I am having a resume drawn up to go after a construction sales job in the interim but am having a hard time getting my enthusiasm up to stay with anything construction related. on a side note, I will have my personal range (actually 10 lanes) finished in a couple weeks, which will be before the surgery.