• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New chassis=new dope?

rtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
My rem700 currently lives in a McMillan A4. I have pretty good dope for my setup. Will swapping the action into an AICS potentially change my dope much? The action and scope won't be changed at all but my head position could change.

The stock will hopefully come next week and I have a match on Sunday. So if I swap stocks I may not get to check my dope before the match.

Re: New chassis=new dope?

I don't think dope should change if you simply moved the barreled action with scope on top over to the new stock.

The relation between the scope and barreled action stays the same.

Why not shoot the match on Sunday using your A4 and then switch over afterwards? You wouldn't have to worry about rezeroing the rifle in time, making sure everything is comfortable, and making the other small adjustments going from one stock system to another. That way you can concentrate on competing instead of whether or not the cheek piece needs to be a little higher or the LOP needs adjusting. Save that stuff for afterwards when you have time to fiddle f**k with it and shoot it to see if there's really any difference.

If it's just a friendly type match with nothing much riding on winning it, I say go for the swap and use the trigger time as a way to get comfortable with the AICS. Any change you see should be minimal if any at all. But, if the match is a big one, don't tempt fate.

It will change but shouldn't be much if you torque to the same specs.

Swap, re-zero and blast away. You won't be able to tell any differences in dope in a match. Afterwards, possibly, but doubt it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will swapping the action into an AICS potentially change my dope much? The action and scope won't be changed at all but my head position could change. </div></div>

You're good dude. You will need to re-zero, as that will change because of the new egronomics, but your dope will not change.

Good luck at your match,
-Chris

I say stick with your stock you have now then after the match do some load testing and see if you see any difference.
You might as well put your self in the loss column if your not 100% confident in your rifle.
Also every flyer or anything done by you you will probably blame the stock or something.. And when switching up a stock is like shooting a whole new rifle..
Dont do that to your self keep it how it is then practice with your new stock later.

EDIT:
PM me. I might be interested in taking that A4 off your hands my friend.