• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New chassis POI change???

Jethro3898

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Dothan, AL
I wanted to get some feedback from you guys who are much more well-versed with rifles than I am.
I just put my rifle in a new McRees Precision chassis. Today was my first day shooting it....just been dry-firing the last couple of weeks.

I get to the range today and check my 100 yard zero and literally shot the best group I had ever shot. It looked like one of the ones you see with the TacOps rifles. My father and another guy I shoot with were blown away. I start to feel pretty good about the new stock.

We then scoot back to 200 yards and I make my normal elevation adjustment and I shoot something like 9" high from POA. I shoot again thinking I screwed up....same thing. So now I have to dial a NEGATIVE elevation adjustment into my scope just to get the POI to the POA at 200 yards. Now I'm completely scratching my head. At this point I throw my previous dope information out the door after 200 yards and I do the old "best guess adjustment, fire, adjust for error, confirm with one more shot" routine and then shoot a group. Then I go back to every 100 yard station out to 1,000 yards. Considering the windy day we had, I shot decent groups. In fact, I made hits on 6" steel plates at 700 yards, so the gun was shooting just fine once I got my elevation right.

Everything is the same on this rifle from the last time I shot (even the same lot of ammo). Only new addition is the McRees chassis.

After 1,000 yards, I get to thinking that I should go back to 100 yards and check my original zero (easy to do because my zero stop was set). I went back to 100 yards to re-check my zero that I started with and my groups were exactly 4" high. I dial 1.1 mils of NEGATIVE elevation from my zero and I shooting the center out again.

My question for you guys is: could using a new chassis impact my POI that much? The only thing I could come up with was that the action had to "settle" into the chassis and it took the vibrations of my first three rounds for it to do that. To me it sounds VERY weird, but is that a common thing? There was no deviation in my windage, just completely in the elevation.

And yes.....the action screws are still tight. We checked that immediately when I got the crazy negative elevation at 200 yards.
Plus....the rifle grouped just fine at each 100 yard increment. I just found it weird that my initial zero check was perfect and then after three shots it was as if the action settled into the chassis and my POI shifted by 1.1 mils. In other words, the rifle performed great other than the POI shift after rounds 1, 2 and 3.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if this is common or not.

You should have re-zeroed the rifle from the start. Of course your POI will change you changed the rifle. The recoil pulse is different the bullet is exiting the bore at a different point.

If you zeroed the rifle first at 100 then went to your dope you would have had less of an issue.

I thought he did verify at 100 and dialed his dope for 200 and was way high, same all the way out. And when he came back to his zero it was still high. To me it sounds like a scope going to shit, but that's just a SWAG.

You should have re-zeroed the rifle from the start. Of course your POI will change you changed the rifle. The recoil pulse is different the bullet is exiting the bore at a different point.

If you zeroed the rifle first at 100 then went to your dope you would have had less of an issue.

The OP wrote
"I get to the range today and check my 100 yard zero and literally shot the best group I had ever shot. It looked like one of the ones you see with the TacOps rifles."

Joe

So it settled, I misread it.

He zeroed, then after seeing the error at 200 went back to 100 and it was off.

Sounds like either the scope is off, or the chassis was not working to support the rifle correctly.

It should not move like that, you may have to test the scope and then the chassis for the problem.

Check for any loose bolts/ screws. Action screw, ring cross bolts, ring caps, turret set screws, base screws etc. Make sure theyre all tightened and torqued properly. Then go back at it checking your 100 yard zero and how the scope is tracking.