• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New CHF 5.56 Barrel Defects

USNIGHTGUNNER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
What causes this?

This is a new CHF barrel, and this is just a sampling of the screenshots that I have on this barrel. Not pretty!!!
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 1.18.30 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 1.20.41 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 1.21.02 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 1.21.41 PM.jpg

Since chrome is supposed to be impervious to rust, was there a possible error in the chrome plating process?
I'd think something went amuck during that time. Either way, you paid for a new barrel and they need to know there is a issue.

Reactions: USNIGHTGUNNER
I consulted with a good friend on this that has over 25 yrs experience building ARs, and I quote

"I’ve seen this a lot in (a particular manufacturer) CHF barrels. It’s sort of a copper colored substance that follows the contours of the lands and grooves.

I’ve speculated that it is some sort of leftover release agent or jacket material from proof loads. Hitting it hard with JB Bore Paste or KG-2 will not only remove it, but will ready the barrel for running super clean and accurate without wasting a round."