• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New chrono option coming out, F-Class John video.

Very good, and it's surprised me that Labrador has stood alone on the shelf for as long as they have.
Didn’t Caldwell make one, of they were supposed to?

Have you seen a physical prototype in the field from Caldwell?
I'd say SQi is a hell of a lot further in market release than Caldwell is at this point.

For shits and giggles, I'll bet a beer and a cigar at the next match we don't see a Caldwell in the wild before 2023. I't'd be nice, I'm all about a competitive product to the Labradar. It's an excellent product, (and for good reason) but they're the only game in town at the weekend warrior consumer level.
I have a fairly low level of faith in Caldwell coming to market any time soon. I'm thrilled to see someone else in the space to compete in.
Watch how fast updates get made to Labradar's mobile app and product firmware/software when they have a competitor.

For that degree of “highly integrated” resulting in the very small form factor, I have to speculate about whether they are using custom silicon in there and, if so, working w a chip foundaryvthese days has to be near impossible.

For that degree of “highly integrated” resulting in the very small form factor, I have to speculate about whether they are using custom silicon in there and, if so, working w a chip foundaryvthese days has to be near impossible.
Based on the size and OLED display am betting is generic Arduino/ESP32 board and one of the many off the shelf inexpensive Doppler modules.
His real work so far IMO is in his making them filter the signals to read a bullet at normal velocities.

There is stuff written several years ago stating that these cheap modules are capable of seeing things at much higher speeds when close to the unit than what they were specced for. There are also likely newer modules put out the past 4-6 years.

Based on the size and OLED display am betting is generic Arduino/ESP32 board and one of the many off the shelf inexpensive Doppler modules.
His real work so far IMO is in his making them filter the signals to read a bullet at normal velocities.

There is stuff written several years ago stating that these cheap modules are capable of seeing things at much higher speeds when close to the unit than what they were specced for. There are also likely newer modules put out the past 4-6 years.
First thing came to mind when I saw the footprint of it was a Raspberry Pi / Arduino / Nano etc for the computing end.

Reactions: Baron23

Thanks. I’m old and haven’t been around related tech for many years so it’s not surprising to me that there is COTS signal processor chips and the like.

Cheers

Thanks. I’m old and haven’t been around related tech for many years so it’s not surprising to me that there is COTS signal processor chips and the like.

Cheers
Cheap and plentiful.
Have a dozen or so of them around the house/office running various tasks.

Cheap and plentiful.
Have a dozen or so of them around the house/office running various tasks.
So, I followed the link and read a bit about it and it seems like it’s core application is PCs.

You think that’s going to be fast enough to do real time signal processing??

Not doubting, just asking.

So, I followed the link and read a bit about it and it seems like it’s core application is PCs.

Those are ARM based processors, when using drivers and code made for that they can be blazingly fast for single use devices Vs just an app running inside an OS.

More than sufficient if the application is written to use / take advantage of that hardware.
Again, this is purely a guess as to the hardware under the hood.
Someone shoot FCJ an email and ask him to pop the cover off it. :)

With all of the weird things that go on with the LabRadar I welcome anything else.
What's up with yours?

I had to send mine back for repair. Since I've had it back it hasn't worked right for a complete session. :( Latest issue has been shutting off when I activate the radar for a string. If it does for some reason stay on, it randomly shuts off. I'm about ready to go back to a magneto speed.

What's up with yours?

I had to send mine back for repair. Since I've had it back it hasn't worked right for a complete session. :( Latest issue has been shutting off when I activate the radar for a string. If it does for some reason stay on, it randomly shuts off. I'm about ready to go back to a magneto speed.
Try changing out your USB cable or external power pack?

Try changing out your USB cable or external power pack?
That's actually one of the things that got repaired (USB port). :cautious: I have a power pack that powers my laptop (which I usually use) and another that is capable of jump starting my car. Same results for both so far. I am using the provided cable. I'll try a different cable next trip.

Thats amazing. Hopefully it works well and itll sell like crazy

Reactions: akmike47
Now that is a radar unit I would buy....if it works that is. I like my magneto with the mkm modified mount, it works great now. That said, if thr Andy works well, it will absolutely dominate the market.

Now that is a radar unit I would buy....if it works that is. I like my magneto with the mkm modified mount, it works great now. That said, if thr Andy works well, it will absolutely dominate the market.
I can see people running matches with mounted radars already lol.

These briefly came in stock today and I managed to get one. The price went way up, though. Over $1K shipped to the US.

Reactions: Taylorbok
These briefly came in stock today and I managed to get one. The price went way up, though. Over $1K shipped to the US.

I saw these come back into stock too…. Had the thought though, $1000 for a 3d printed device that I believe is a 200 raspberry pi Doppler radar unit with a basic UI interface…. Seems like a lot of a product that’s in its infancy…. Personally I’m waiting until it devs a bit more and Labradar and others begin to feel the pressure of competition….

Reactions: parshal
I saw these come back into stock too…. Had the thought though, $1000 for a 3d printed device that I believe is a 200 raspberry pi Doppler radar unit with a basic UI interface…. Seems like a lot of a product that’s in its infancy…. Personally I’m waiting until it devs a bit more and Labradar and others begin to feel the pressure of competition….
Yeah that's where I'm at too. There's another one that is similar out too, plus whatever labradar comes out with the compete with it or improves/drops the price on their current models.

My MS with mount that I resized all of the set screws on, works pretty dang well honestly. It's fast to take on and off and fast to adjust to different guns and doesn't mess with my POI. I'd love to have a small radar chrono that was reliable and trouble free and durable but I think it's best to wait and see how all this works out in a years time, then buy whatever is deemed to most durable and reliable and easy to use. Glad some others are taking the plunge though so we can get real world feedback

Reactions: category_theory
Yeah that's where I'm at too. There's another one that is similar out too, plus whatever labradar comes out with the compete with it or improves/drops the price on their current models.

My MS with mount that I resized all of the set screws on, works pretty dang well honestly. It's fast to take on and off and fast to adjust to different guns and doesn't mess with my POI. I'd love to have a small radar chrono that was reliable and trouble free and durable but I think it's best to wait and see how all this works out in a years time, then buy whatever is deemed to most durable and reliable and easy to use. Glad some others are taking the plunge though so we can get real world feedback
Totally! Also who else is making a small Doppler? I was on another thread here and posted about the raspberry pi Doppler that could totally work for this and as far as I can tell this unit is built on it…. All the same specs etc. and for 200 USD…. All that’s to say prices will come down as more units and sensors roll out and competition grows…. I know Caldwell is / was supposed to come out w one too pre Covid…

Reactions: acudaowner
Totally! Also who else is making a small Doppler? I was on another thread here and posted about the raspberry pi Doppler that could totally work for this and as far as I can tell this unit is built on it…. All the same specs etc. and for 200 USD…. All that’s to say prices will come down as more units and sensors roll out and competition grows…. I know Caldwell is / was supposed to come out w one too pre Covid…
BulletSeeker is the other one but they listed the doppler sensor they used which was not a $20 arduino/Pi type part. Several threads on it here.

ETA:

Edited. Bullet seeker and this one are the two small ones.

Last edited:
I can't remember the name but there's a thread on here with that in it. It's a little box looking thing that will go on any pic rail, or a pic rail on a scope ring like a raptor. It's pretty sweet looking actually. I can't remember what it's called but I'm sure someone here can. I will search and try to find it
I got them mixed up. The bullet seeker one above is the other one that's small

BulletSeeker is the other one but they listed the doppler sensor they used which was not a $20 arduino/Pi type part. Several threads on it here.

ETA:

God damn! Now that was actually designed by someone that knew what they were doing…. I may even pay the price. Anyone w any experience with it?