• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing NEW CLASSIC 94 WINCHESTER 30-30 rust problem!!!

bruno86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Hick Town PA
I have a never fired Winchester model 94 Classic 30-30 rifle that was in its box for over 30 years and oiled on a regular basis. That was until my grandfather forgot that he had it and neglected it for over 2 years. The rifle is in perfect condition with very high grade walnut stock and octagon barrel except for the corroded rust spot just behind the forearm grip on the left side of the receiver where the wood meets the receiver. it is approximately 1 inch long where the wood follows the receiver and approximately 1/16" deep and 1/16 wide. What can I do about this? Im willing to send off to have professionally fixed if possible. Who do I turn to? Send me a PM if you think you can help please. The gun is VERY sentimental and I want to get it back to new condition.

Attachments

• IMG_20131207_164820.jpg
    IMG_20131207_164820.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 38
Agree, Turnbull is the first one I would go to for a Winchester restoration. His work, bluing, case coloring, and polishing are excellent.

Note: Winchester Classic Series Model 94 mfg 1967-1970, 30/30, 20" or 26" octagon barrel, ~ 47,000 made, Blue Book Value for a 100% gun is $575...

True. The story behind this gun was that my grandfather had a friend that was having a hard time about 40 years ago and needed the cash. The gun was in its original box and never fired so my grandfather told him he would give him $100 cash since thats all he had. He told his friend that he would never fire the gun and was buying it for his fist born grandson if he ever had one. Well here I am, his only grandson lol. My grandfathers health is deteriorating quite rapidly now and I wanted to get this gun back in tip top shape. He felt pretty bad pulling it out of the box the day he decided to give it to me and found that the front of the receiver had corroded. I could see the look in his eyes where he realized that he was starting to forget about things. Almost everything I went to his house when I was little I asked him to pull the gun out to show me because it was my favorite out of the many that he had. From the checkered flannel looking box to the gold plating and high grade walnut stock. The gun just popped!