• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New CNC day at the seekins shop!

Glen Seekins

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2004
lewiston, ID
www.seekinsprecision.com
Last few days we have been very occupied, so im sorry if you couldn't get thru to us. They took our older machine last week and we spent most of this week moving everything out of the shop to get ready for our new CNC. We had to take everything out of the machine side of the shop to get this baby in place. Here is our new 11 pallet Matsuura horizontal machining center. It has 11 stations where i can keep parts loaded onto at all times giving us lights our running capabilities It holds 320 tools, 15,000 RPM's and is adding 16 hours a day to my machining time. I will be able to keep all of our products on dedicated fixtures so we can build any product we offer without tearing down and setting up for the next part. I can schedule it to run every part we make every day! I am just like you, when i want something i don't want to wait. I want it shipped right away and look forward to the brown santa delivering it. So what's this mean for you guys....NO MORE WAITING!
smile.gif

One very full load!
unloading3.JPG

New Matsuura Horizontal CNC
mat2.jpg

mat11.jpg

Tool rack holds 320 tools and one of the shop guys for size comparison
tool_hive_size.JPG

Couple of shop pics from on top of my office.
airal_shop2.JPG

arial_shop_layout.JPG

Re: New CNC day at the seekins shop!

Wow! Nice machines, Glen. Do you think some of that extra free time will roll over into product development? Not that you've been slacking, but I figure trying out new things has got to be more fun than tearing down and setting up for established products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It holds 320 tools </div></div>

Wow! Never knew a CNC could hold that many. I'm not sure I know many shops that have 320 tools.

Congrads on the new CNC.

AnschutzNerd

Thanks guys. This was the only way i could even think about doing our 308 AR project. This is going to do wonders for us and im sure some new products will find their way off of my screen and onto the machine.

Thanks for posting pics. It is always interesting to see where the magic happens.

Very, very cool Glen. Best wishes for your continued success!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. This was the only way i could even think about doing our 308 AR project. This is going to do wonders for us and im sure some new products will find their way off of my screen and onto the machine. </div></div>

AWESOME

Great. I'll order a set of rings and a base to help you pay for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. This was the only way i could even think about doing our 308 AR project. This is going to do wonders for us and im sure some new products will find their way off of my screen and onto the machine. </div></div>

A video of it going thru a run would be nice!
smile.gif

nice! we are in the decision making process on buying a CNC as well. for granite not gun parts.. its a big decision and adds quite a bit of overhead as long as the market is sustainable its not a problem. but we all know how that go's any way good luck. im looking to buy some parts foe a few upcoming gun builds and i like your work.

Does that mean you can start buying lenses from Japan and start building scopes to go with your mounts and bases?

Just materials and design. Anyone can do it. Just look at CounterSniper Optics.

Your one machine holds as many tools as almost all 18 of our machines.

Congrats on the new addition. We just added another Sharp mill last week, So I know how you feel.

Toys!

God I miss my machines and software. Maybe again someday. Turning wrenches is like blacksmithing compared to precision work. (Especially military turds...I mean equipment)

They are installing it now and we should be making parts the end of the week. Training is on Monday so by then for sure!

This is a huge step for us, like buying 7 regular cnc's but its going to do wonders for us and keep parts flowing like we want. Maybe we will be the first in the firearms industry to make our own parts AND have them in stock all the time
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Maybe we will be the first in the firearms industry to make our own parts AND have them in stock all the time
smile.gif
</div></div>

laugh.gif
I hope so..... I know we sure aint. We are more behind now then we were a couple of years ago. I truly think the economy has really picked up this year. Maybe its the free "Stimulus" money everybody got.

Mike Bell
www.mgwltd.com

Continued success Glen...nice work.

Hope to see ya at K-Falls too.

If you can keep the parts flowing and in stock you should own everybody else.

Keep us updated on your increase in productivity.

I love Tool Hives would hate to have to stock it with toolholders and tooling, and 11 pallets wow. Largest hive I have seen was on a tour of Mazak, they had a shared 1000-1200 tool hive for several horizontals.

What Cad /Cam software are you using ?

How many man shop do you have ?

We currently use Onecnc, but we are shopping for a new CAM program. Right now i am playing with HSMworks cam and i like it. Its integrated into solidworks. The other one we are looking at is Espirt, but its almost 20k, so i hope i dont like it
smile.gif

We have up to 6 people plus me depending on the day. 4 full time