• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New competition format?

Doing my part

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2020
I have a half formed idea for a competition format, and thought I'd bounce it off the hide for fleshing out by some more experienced shooters.

It's kind of like darts, where you take bites out of a large number, until you're down to a finishing shot on something precision-ish to cross the finish line.

For example
The course is 5000y
There are targets at 1000, 500, 250, 100

Shooter nominates a target and shoots.

The target value is deducted from the course total until inside 250 where they must hit something small to complete.

Fewest shots wins.

I still have to figure out the finish line format - I had thought something where you can gamble at a hard shot at 250, but with a penalty for missing, or commit to two easier shots at 100.

I was also wondering about allowing a percentage of the target to be deducted for a near miss, say 50% deduction within 1 radius of the target?

What do you think? Any additions or amendments?

I like it. I’m not a big PRS guy…. but that may be why I like it. I think it would all have to be on steel with either hit or miss as that’s the only way to score it from the firing line. I think it would be interesting. Something like a 2 MOA target at 500 is worth 250, 1 MOA target at 500 is worth 500, and scale it in/out from there with distance/target size.

I like the idea! I was also thinking of a "golf" like format with say 9 stages, each with various targets to match say par3, 4 or 5 holes (3 targets, 4 targets, 5 targets) and the shooter would have the same par time, say 2 minutes to shoot the stage, but it's unlimited round count and the lowest score across the "9 holes" wins. You could even set up a birdie target...for example, a par 4 stage has four targets at (let's talk rimfire for now) 50 (first shot), 125 (second shot), 165 (third shot) and 200 (fourth shot), BUT, the shooter could shoot at a different third target for a birdie at say 225 and if it's an impact, they score 3 for the stage...if they miss, they incur a 1 shot penalty and continue shooting the normal third and fourth shots.

Reactions: Doing my part
It’s shooting, shooting is fun!

Winning shouldn’t = fewest # of shots.

The winner should get to shoot as much (read have as much fun) as the loser.

It’s shooting, shooting is fun!

Winning shouldn’t = fewest # of shots.

The winner should get to shoot as much (read have as much fun) as the loser.
Flip it around then - 5 shots, highest total wins.

If we're playing double in double out X01 style darts, ya gotta be able to hit a relatively difficult target to even start the countdown shots

My addition to the discussion

M

edited to add: cold bore shot

Tom Raynors matches at his place used to be like this. There were three sets of targets, and you got to choose which one you shot at. Each size was worth different points according to range.

Problem is most people arent going to drive far distances to shoot sub 20 shots. Doesn't sound dynamic or fun to keep interest like PRS. Maybe the F-class crowd who are as much fun as watching paint dry will like it?

To be honest I was thinking more about throwing this in to the mix when I'm out at the range with the guys. I wasn't proposing to make it the only shots we fire all day!