• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing NEW CUSTOM HUNTING RIFLE from GRADOUS

308winchester

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
I made the drive over to Augusta, GA to pick up my custom rifle from Robert Gradous.

It was a great experience for me. Upon arriving at Robert's facility, I could tell right away that this was guy who knows what he is doing and pays attention to detail. His shop was awesome but really its not about the machinery, its about Robert. What a wealth of knowledge, I only spent a few hours with him but it was a tremendous experience. We went over the build he talked about the little things that he does. One thing that impressed me was what he did with the front screw in the ADL trigger guard. The last ADL build I had, the smith sent a little note on the rifle saying this is a dummy screw and it looked like a dummy screw. I have picture below but Robert actually built a pillar in the stock for it....again attention to detail/meticulous. Robert puts the name "GRADOUS" on the barrel and I now know why. He wouldnt tolerate it leaving the shop with that name on it if he wasnt proud of it.
COmpared to my previous custom, this one had a better adjusted jewell (NO CREEP), much better cerakoting job (my buddy brought a fosnaugh coated gun over tonight, they looked identical in quality), no bedding creeping out of the stock....basically fit and finish were flawless. I'm impressed thus far.
We mounted up my scope and again Robert was very particular, measuring things that I still dont know what he was doing.
Time to shoot, we walk over to shooting house. Great reloading room/benchrest out the window complete with AC unit!

RObert throws a load with SCenars together...clean bore shot followed by 2 more, the 2 after the clean bore in the same hole. WE clean again. This time it is 130 TTSX's.. Clean bore shot then 3 TTSX's in the same hole. I'M not kidding. Finny thing is he warned me the TTSX's were gonna be a little harder to get to shoot....maybe my rifle changed his mind. He was surprised at that one.
I also got to watch robert climb in a fish tank and empty catfish into his pond...pic below

I can tell you that the pictures and this summary dont do RObert or my rifle justice. RObert is someone I will recommend every chance I get and someone I am damn proud I have a rifle from. DO yourself a favor and get a rifle from him and if you can make it, drive down and pick it up, you wont regret it.

Specs:
308 win
Pierce SHort Action
22" Mike Rock 5r #4 1 in 11.27" twist
Jewell Trigger
McMillan Rem Classic ADL in Light grey, white, black
Black cerakote everywhere (robert even does the swivel studs)
Pierce custom one piece low mounts
Swarovski z6 1.7-10x42 with #4

GRADOUS308a.jpg

GRADOUS308b.jpg

GRADOUS308c.jpg

GRADOUS308d.jpg

GRADOUS308f.jpg

LAPUA 1st load...fouling shot on the right, next 2 on the left
GRADOUS308scenar.jpg

TTSX...fouling on the right, next 3 in the same hole on left
GRADOUS308ttsx.jpg

RObert gave me all load data as well, just a super nice and generous guy, who puts 110% into what he puts his name on, and the finished product doesnt dissapoint. I dont think I need another rifle but if i do, im going to Robert.

in the fish tank
GRADOUS308fishtank.jpg

Re: NEW CUSTOM HUNTING RIFLE from GRADOUS

Robert is one of the best in the business. Now you'll have to post pics of the deer you bag with that rig!

Nice rifle!

Don't be afraid to use those scenars on deer.

Always enjoy reading about Gradous rifles. Nice rifle, thanks for sharing.

That is one hell of a nice looking rifle. Thanks for the pix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle!

Don't be afraid to use those scenars on deer.</div></div> ive thought hard on it. My hunting in the southeast is a little different than yours out west though... if i was expecting to be shooting 300 yards plus, i might try the scenars... as well as the 130 grain ttsx shot and the likelihood that alot of my shots will be 150 yards or less, i cant see why the TTSX wouldnt knock their dick in the dirt and exit everytime...

If i was worried about BC, wind deflection, etc i wouldnt hesitate to look at the scenar for hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremiahjs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is one hell of a nice looking rifle. Thanks for the pix.</div></div> thanks yall for all the nice comments

Dang nice rifle!!!!

Hate to be the first guy that asks, but what does it weigh? Been looking at that same stock in a non Edge. Also, could you tell me what the muzzle diameter is on that thing? I suck at trig.

Thanks

308...was curious, what was the wait time? Not when you got to the shop but when you decided to have the rifle built? Did you send him the parts or he ordered them for you?

Thanks

BTW, very nice rifle...I want Robert to build me one!

Why 2 different user names for same person??

PS - Nice rifle by a great gunsmith!!

Nice rifle! I will put in another vote to use the Scenars as well. Took my elk with the 155 Scenar last year and was very impressed with them.

thanks....

i ordered all the parts and had them sent to robert. he does it either way but recommended i order the parts...

my wait time was a few months... i live fairly close to robert so i drove over one day and he tuned the loads and let me take her away

8lb 4oz and that is with the 16oz swaro Z6 scope mounted