• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New custom long range hunting rig

Wildbill1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2017
It has been a long time since I've posted but I need some assistance since I've been away from the rifle scene for a while. Son wants a full custom build in 280 A/I for mainly long range deer hunting and wants me to get the project started. Then gun I built years ago has a Bat action, Broughton barrel, jewel trigger, and one of the first Manners clunky stocks. I need some advice on the action as there has been a lot of innovation in the past 20 years. Thank you for the help.

Smiths:
WTO
GAP
LRI
SAC
Bugholes
many more

Actions:
Zermatt TL3
Lone Peak Fuzion
ARC Mausingfield

Stocks:
McMillan/Manners both have several options

Triggers:
trigger tech special
bix and andy tacsport pro

Barrel:
barlein kreiger benchmark brux broughton k&p rock creek etc

Reactions: rkcolt45
I second that and would include Defiance actions on the list.

Reactions: toader
Rifle $4k, optics, $2k

Weight around you 10.5 pounds

On 300-600 yards on this rifle
As with everything, everybody is going to have an opinion here and this is only mine.

Lone Peak Arms Razor (28.5oz) $1150
LPA 20 MOA base (~3oz) $95
22” bartlein 3b (3.7lbs) $350
Triggertech Special (~2oz) $150
Manners EH1 w/mini chassis (~35oz) $900
Bottom Metal (~5oz) $300
Chamber & Thread muzzle $450
Hawkins ultra light rings (4oz) $150
Atlas CAL (14.5oz) $225

Price: $3,770

Weight: 9.5 pounds

I figure 26 - 30oz for any optic that’s worth it. If you’re weight didn’t include bipod, you’re in good shape. If it included bipod, you could go with a carbon wrapped barrel and/or Titanium barrel. CW barrel will add about $350 and lose +/- 0.75 pounds. To action will add about $600 and lose +/- 0.5 pounds.

Last edited:
Secant your Pricing and weights are right inline with exactly what I built execpt I used McMillian A3A and 22" proof. It came in around 10.5 lbs with a suppressor, mid action LP TI and the 27oz TT scope. I did add a couple of extras, ie.. Mlock inlayed rail and TS customs Adj Cheek pc. so I spent just north of $4K.

IMG_2406.jpg
IMG_2415.jpg

It has been a long time since I've posted but I need some assistance since I've been away from the rifle scene for a while. Son wants a full custom build in 280 A/I for mainly long range deer hunting and wants me to get the project started. Then gun I built years ago has a Bat action, Broughton barrel, jewel trigger, and one of the first Manners clunky stocks. I need some advice on the action as there has been a lot of innovation in the past 20 years. Thank you for the help.

I really like the Bighorn actions. All the precision of the best customs with controlled round feed and floating bolt head. I built my hunting rig on a Bighorn Origin.

John

Last edited:
AG composites is another great stock.

I built a Nucleus, Proof CF, TT Primary, AG adjustable hunter, Mesa Precision bottom metal, Hellfire brake, ARC M 10 rings and Leupold MK5 3.6-18. Under 11 pounds with empty mag.

Tons of reputable gunsmiths, barrels, action, stocks and optics galore.

BAT actions are exceptional and a plethora of others.

With exception to AG Composites, both Manners and McMillan have a longer wait time.

Barrel availability will depend on contour and what's on the shelf. The option for a carbon wrapped tube reduces the number of barrel makers.

Gunsmith, take your pick. There are the perennial favorites here on the 'Hide; by personal choices are RBros and GAP.

Optics, lots of options more good than bad.

Don't forget coatings for a splash of color!

Thank you guys very much for the responses. This gives me some new ideas.