• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New CZ rimfire stick

BC 6.8

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
SC
Here is my new CZ 455 Tacticool. So far I have installed the DIP adjustable sear and put a lighter trigger spring; DIP mag well and 25 MOA scope base. I mounted a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 in Burris signature zee rings and attached the Harris bipod. I'm ready to shoot. One thing I noticed is the stock has alot of contact with the barrel at the end of the forend. I don't know how this will effect accuracy, but we shall see. I have a set of pillars that I'm planning to install and do a full bedding job after that. I'm doing the work in stages because that is all I have time for, but I also want to see how each step effects accuracy. I'll post results when I can.

New CZ 22.jpg

Looks good! I know my CZ doesn't seem to like any of the stock touching the barrel. But I know others have different results! Best thing to do I believe is to put some rounds through it and see what it does! Welcome to the addiction!

Ben

Which model Harris bipod is that? I just got a CZ455 Varmint with the thumbhole stock. It has a single post at the front, which I assume unscrews to mount the bipod? Obviously, I am a newbie at this.

Which model Harris bipod is that? I just got a CZ455 Varmint with the thumbhole stock. It has a single post at the front, which I assume unscrews to mount the bipod? Obviously, I am a newbie at this.

Rockhouse - It is a 6-9" Harris with cant adjustment. It has notches in the legs to adjust height. (1st link below) It attaches to a front sling swivel (the post on the bottom side of the forend of the stock). You may want to look at the friction lock model (2nd link below) because it allows you to fine tune the height. I like to fine tune elevation with the slope on the butt of the stock. I push the rifle forward in the rear bag to lower my point of aim and pull back the rifle bag in the bag to raise my POA. Everyone is different though.

Harris S-BRM Bipod Leg Notch Sling Swivel Stud Mount 6 to 9 Black

Harris S-BRM Bipod Leg Notch Sling Swivel Stud Mount 6 to 9 Black

Thanks for the help! Both of your links took me to the same place, but I get the idea, and the 6"-9" was what I thought but wanted confirmation.

I've studied this a bit more and I think for bench rest target shooting use only, I am going to skip the swivel feature and go with the plain BRM style bipod. I also found a video online that makes it clear how this thing attaches to the swivel post on the gun.

I have a CZ452 varmint with thumbhole stock. I shoot Eley club and get MOA, 10 shot groups at 100 yards. I get less than 3MOA at 200 yards and might get better when the wind doesn't blow. I use 3x5 cards for targets. It's a lot of fun from a bench rest.

I have recently read "The Ultimate Sniper" and want to try some of the things I have read. Does anyone have some groups to share shooting their CZ .22 off a camera tripod?

So what's the diff between the 455V tacticool, and the 455 VPT in the Manners t4? Did I pay an extra $400 only for the Manners, and is it worth it? Not whining, just curious. My 455 VPT is a pleasure to shoot. There is a 455 in the Boyds available at LGS, and it's kinda tempting me.

Yep, exactly what you did.
$400 more for a carbon fiber/fiberglass/epoxy stock.
Greater strength, rigidity, already has a front pillar.
Manners T4 alone is going for about $600 retail.
$500 from the CZ webstore.

Is it worth it?
I'll let you know after mine arrives.
Been on backorder for 2 months from CZ.

Last edited:
Lol, no, I'm definitely keeping the Manners. I'm very happy with it. When I bought it, the 455 VPT was the only one they had in stock. If the Tacticool model had been on the shelf right beside it, I'm not sure I would have nutted up the extra 400 bones, though. The Manners is obviously a superior stock, in terms of rigidity, heft, and feel. I just wondered if there were other differences that I was unaware of. Justin mentioned the front pillar, which I didn't know about.

I finally got some range time with my CZ. I shimmed the barrel next to the receiver because it was contacting the stock at the fore end. I also found that 20 in lbs of torque on the action screws seem to be best. My next modification will be to pillar bed the stock and then a full bedding job.

Here are some 50 yd groups with CCI SV. Avg = 0.825", small group = 0.643"
CZ 3-15 CCI SV.jpg

Here are some 50 yd groups with SK Std. +. Avg = 0.613, small group = 0.4335"
CZ 3-15-14.jpg

I chronographed the SK Std + @ 1066 FPS. Dope out to 200 yds: 50 yd = 0, 75 yds = 3 MOA, 100 yds = 6.50-6.75 MOA, 150 yds = 15.50-15.75 MOA, and 200 yds = 25.50-25.75 MOA. I calculated the BC @ .140.

I have worked on both the tacticool and precision trainer stocks. The manners stock cost what it does due to the materials it's made of. It will pretty much last forever and can be subject to the most extreme conditions (weather, moisture, heat, cold ect) and will be unaffected. The factory front pillar in them is garbage and IMO they shouldn't even install it. I hate pillar bedding them cause the material of the stock will make you very itchy! The tacticool gives you the shape of the manners stock but at a much lower price. I personally would never be shooting in extreme conditions so I myself would take the tacticool stock. Both are very comfortable stocks.

I finally got the CZ pillar bedding job done. Its not perfect, but we'll see how it shoots. I used Marine Tex epoxy putty and it ended up bedding the rear tang.

CZ pillars.jpg
CZ pillars 3.jpg

I've studied this a bit more and I think for bench rest target shooting use only, I am going to skip the swivel feature and go with the plain BRM style bipod. I also found a video online that makes it clear how this thing attaches to the swivel post on the gun.

Rockhouse, Harris makes the 9-13 S type. Great bipod...around $115.00

I finally got the CZ pillar bedding job done. Its not perfect, but we'll see how it shoots. I used Marine Tex epoxy putty and it ended up bedding the rear tang.

View attachment 33525
View attachment 33526

To avoid that I have the dry times down to a science. I'll wait exactly 9 hours and will remove the action. The bedding will be just soft enough still to be easily and cleanly removed with a wood gouge so when your done it will look like this.

Shot again today after the pillar job. It was pretty windy and cool. 45° F with winds 10-15 mph, gust to 22 mph. I did my best to shoot well so I could see the difference from the pillars. My six 5 shot groups averaged 0.607" with SK Std + compared to 0.613" prior to pillar bedding. I definitely think the wind effected the groups, but you can judge for yourself.

The calipers are not zeroed to bullet diameter.
CZ Pillared SK std 3-26.jpg

Shot again today after the pillar job. It was pretty windy and cool. 45° F with winds 10-15 mph, gust to 22 mph. I did my best to shoot well so I could see the difference from the pillars. My six 5 shot groups averaged 0.607" with SK Std + compared to 0.613" prior to pillar bedding. I definitely think the wind effected the groups, but you can judge for yourself.

The calipers are not zeroed to bullet diameter.
View attachment 33887

If your test before pillar bedding was in much better conditions and you still managed to shoot better in poor conditions, I think your gonna be in for a treat. Wind can greatly affect a rimfire even at short distances! You have another testing session ahead of you when conditions are better.

I went ahead and completed the bedding job on my rifle to include the first 3" of barrel. I was going to try to shoot again in less windy conditions before if finished the bedding, but I got bored last night. The bedding job is my first, so it is not perfect. I'll post pics later.

I got out and shot the rifle with the full bedding job. Off a bipod and rear bag, I shot 6 - 5 shot groups at 50 yds that averaged 0.567" and had a small group of 0.347". I also shot three 100 yds groups that averaged 1.44" with a small group of 0.744". I think that is pretty good for my shooting ability. I'm going to try shooting off of a front rest to see if the bipod is causing some of the flyers.

I also painted the stock in a camo pattern because I got bored. The green is a little lighter that I wanted it to be, but other than that I think it is ok.

Camo stock.jpg