• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Dedicated 22LR On The Market Update

hilbillee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2008
Franklin, NC
There is a new kind of 22lr AR type on the market. Made under license from Colt and produced by Walther in Germany. Here is the link to their website. http://www.colt22rimfire.com/ I picked one up yesterday. It is the M4 Ops model. I haven't got to try it out yet but hopefully will get the chance in the coming week. The price for the complete weapon isn't much more than a Spike's Tactical 22 upper.

Re: New Dedicated 22LR On The Market

http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?page=umarex_colt_m4_carbine_in_22lr_for_sale

The COLT clone is made by Walther/Umarex and is closer to a GSG5 .22 clone than to a dedicated .22 M4.

The lower is proprietary as are the internals. The barrel is in a sleeve that approximates a real M4 profile.

They look very cool and so far the reports have been positive other than the goofy magazine and the price for extra mags. I also hear that is has selctfire markings (NON FUNCTIONING).

Looks to a a cool CLONE of an M4. As I already have a dedicated .22 upper and a lower that I can use on any other AR upper I choose I am already set. If the price is good it might be a good way to stay sharp and not go broke. I hope it is better than the GSG5. I hear many bad things about them.

Give us some pics of your rifle and a range report!

PRESS RELEASE:
UPDATE - UMAREX USA PRESS RELEASE FROM 9 JAN 2009

In 2008, Umarex USA entered the .22 caliber rifle market with the Hämmerli Sport 22SA. For 2009, Umarex USA, the replica king, introduces four exciting Colt Tactical Replicas in .22 caliber. Colt Tactical Rimfire combines the fun and excitement of shooting tactical style replicas with the economy of .22 caliber ammo. All four are Colt .22 rifles and are built for anyone who loves to shoot or simply craves the attention of other shooters.

Carl Walther Germany recognizes the growing popularity and demand for tactical style rifles for the recreational shooting market. As a result, they entered into a licensing agreement with New Colt Holding Corporation whereby Carl Walther will produce these .22 rifles in Germany under the Colt brand. Umarex USA cooperated in the development of the product line and will be responsible for importation, sales, marketing and service for the United States.

Two tactical styles are being offered, each modeled after a Colt legendary original — the M4 and M16 — and both are available in two variations with 30-round magazines along with a variety of available accessories. Wulf Pflaumer, chairman of the board for Carl Walther and pioneer of the Colt Tactical Rimfire project said, “Colt is a leader in law enforcement weapons systems and I am proud that Colt has partnered with us for this project in the civilian market.”

The only significant difference between the .223/5.56 and these new Colt .22s is the caliber, creating a huge cost advantage, both for the rifle and the ammo. All versions are made in Germany with full metal bodies, Colt’s straight-line construction which disperses recoil straight back to the shoulder, flat top receivers, cartridge case deflectors for left-handed shooting, and muzzle compensators. High strength materials add durability to the forearms, buttstocks, and grips. All are semi-automatic with 6-groove rifled barrels with rifling extending 350 mm.

The Colt .22 Tactical M4 is available in a standard carbine and in a tricked out “Ops” version. At the rear of the M4 is the same 4-position buttstock you’ll find on Colt’s 5.56. The Ops version adds the “coolness factor” — outfitted with a CNC machined rail interface system and a detachable tactical rear sight.

M16s set the world standard for weapons systems in its class. The new Colt .22 Tactical Rimfire M16 is no exception. A replica of Colt’s M16A4, it features an integrated rail system on the receiver which accommodates the detachable carry handle found on the standard rifle and any number of optics and accessories. The SPR version (Special Purpose Rifle) furthers the M16’s tactical appearance with the addition of flip up front and rear sights along with a rail interface system that’s CNC machined of high-grade aluminum to accommodate a wide variety of accessories with Picatinny-style mounts.

No stranger to the .22 market, Umarex USA has offered high-quality German-made .22 caliber RWS ammunition since the company’s inception. Adam Blalock, Umarex USA’s CEO offered, “The introduction of the new Colt Tactical Rimfire is a natural progression for us. The Colt replica .22s fall right into a category we’re known for — high quality replicas under brands that are famous, respected, and sought after. They also complement our line of replica airguns in that they are high quality, exciting, and inexpensive to operate.”

Whether used as a tactical trainer or an exciting plinker that commands the attention of everyone at the range, the Colt .22 Tactical Rimfire is the shooter’s new favorite.

My buddy purchased one this past Saturday and we shot it that afternoon. It's a pretty slick copy of an M4 but does have a cheaper plastic "model" or high end airsoft feel to it. We shot several hundred rounds through it with no failure to feeds or fires(all copper plated 22lr). Didn't shoot it for accuracy but it was reasonably accurate for iron sights. It reminds me of the same quality as that HK MP5 22lr clone. The 30 round mag's are a real joy to load, much easier than the Black Dog mags BUT it is huge/long and is a hindrance at times especially if shooting off a bench. I assume they will make a 15 rounder at some point, it is definitely needed.

I have one of those S&W M&P15-22's on order, but who knows when I will get it.

Personally I have a Spike's modular railed 22lr upper that runs like a sewing machine(to about 500rnds/dirty before a misfeed/fire) that I like much better. JMHO

I hate to burst your guys bubble but the .22 Colt M4 is a complete and total piece of shit. I handled one last night and it was cheap, cheap, cheap and I ain't talking about the price. Your money would be better spent on a dedicated .22 upper.

YMMV, but I can't imagine anyone handling one of these and not thinking it is total crap. I have a GSG-5 which I also think is a piece of crap, however fun to shoot. The Colt .22 M4 makes the GSG-5 look like a GAP rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much are they $$$?
</div></div>

I want to say around $589 or some shit like that. Not sure if that's dealer cost or retail, but I want to say it was dealer cost. I cannot emphasize how much that gun is not worth that price either way.

The FUNNIEST thing in the world is that right on the box it comes in it says,"QUALITY BECAUSE IT'S A COLT" or some shit like that. My buddy and I fell over laughing about that shit last night.

I handled the Colt M4 clone today. I would call it a very well done Airsoft rifle. The bolt is made out of pot medal! The upper and lower do not separate via push pins, at least I could not get them to come out while handling it on the counter. The upper and lower are NOT MILSPEC in any way. Thats fine as it is not a 5.56mm rifle but a clone of a 5.56 rifle.

I could live with it but I now know for sure that a dedicated upper and a real 5.56mm AR lower is the way to go.

Get a SPIKES or a Tactical Solutions upper or wait until the SW comes out and give it a look.

It is a pass for me.

On the plus side it is not held together by tiny screws like the GSG5!

jasonk,
I will definitely shoot it next week and post the results. I am not expecting miraculus & wonderous results from it but I expect it will do okay. I also have a Spike's upper with which to compare it I know some will really dog it because it's not the name brand prefered or the item in vogue at the moment but for someone that can't afford to buy an AR then buy a dedicated upper it will fill their needs. It's not "mil-spec" but it's not claimed to be either. From what I have checked out on it so far it's made alot better than the GSG5 for sure and I can say that because I did own one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tactical Solutions makes a way cool .22LR upper for an AR15.

</div></div>

I know 3 guys who own them, one is a member here. All three uppers are finicky if they get a little dirty. Cleaning every 300-400rds seems to keep it runnin'. They definitly prefer certain ammo to stay runnin'.

All 3 have been back to Tactical Solutions. One would go full auto every once in a while and then was a jamm-o-matic and I saw it fire out of battery once. Another has fired out of battery (atleast) 2 times when I have been there. The 3rd had feeding issues. They all said TacSol CS was good to deal with but it has been frustrating.

All 3 guys LOVE the upper when it is runnin' right. They seem to be pretty accurate and ARE fun to shoot. Two of the guys shoot them in a rimfire Steel Challenge Match. Two shoot electronic sights and the third has a scope.

Sorry to OP for getting off of the original topic.

Keith

My Spike's upper also prefers certain ammo, specifically the federal bulk pack from Wally World. It seems most of the uppers do have a preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Spike's upper also prefers certain ammo, specifically the federal bulk pack from Wally World. It seems most of the uppers do have a preference. </div></div>

My Tac Sol likes CCI minimags and velociter along with the Federal Bulk.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALL .22 firearms need more cleaning and attention. </span> Its just the nature of the rimfire caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jasonk,
I will definitely shoot it next week and post the results. I am not expecting miraculus & wonderous results from it but I expect it will do okay. I also have a Spike's upper with which to compare it I know some will really dog it because it's not the name brand prefered or the item in vogue at the moment but for someone that can't afford to buy an AR then buy a dedicated upper it will fill their needs. It's not "mil-spec" but it's not claimed to be either. From what I have checked out on it so far it's made alot better than the GSG5 for sure and I can say that because I did own one. </div></div>

You do make some good points. Especially about it being made better than the GSG5. That thing is a total hunk of garbage.

Please compare the Spikes to the Clone for accuracy and overall function. I think many of us would like to know.

As I said above I would chose the Spikes over the clone even though the clone did function flawlessly. The best I can tell the Spikes upper is more accurate.

Re: New Dedicated 22LR On The Market Update

I finally got to shoot the Colt M4 22LR today. I also shot my Spike's 22 upper so I could compare the 2 against each other. All the distance I had to shoot was 45 yds. The Colt didn't like the Federal value pack from WalMart as I would have misfires due to light primer strikes so I tried Lapua Standard Plus. Not a misfire or glitch. The Spike's upper didn't really like the Lapus, had feeding problems. So it was tested with the Federal value pack it likes. The Colt did amazingly well. I shot 10 shot groups from each rifle at 45 yds. here are the targets from each rifle, with the colt being first. Oh, and I am not that great a shot.
Colt22.jpg

Spikes22.jpg

Looks pretty good, nice shooting.

I'd be interested to see if some tuning and/or break in would allow it to shoot with the cheaper ammo someday.

How's that long mag, does it get in the way much?

J

It is a bit of a pain. When shooting from a bench you have to stack bags up in order for the mag to clear the bench. But not much more so than the Blackdog mags for the Spike's upper. And I hope some of the orher cheap ammo will work too.

We were anticipating the release of the colt 22 after seeing it at SHOT. They didnt have a demo available...just a rubber model in a case...which made me wonder.

The first one hit my buddy's shop a few weeks ago and we were unimpresed.

It lacks the fit and feel of the Spikes or other dedicated 22 systems. The 30 round mag is a bit awkward.

Most importantly, I felt, was the safety. Safe is the usual indicator forward position we are all familiar with. However, the fire position is 180 degrees - ie the full auto position. This makes using this weapon as a trainer for carbine work a poor idea. Bringing the weapon up from the ready position and disengaging the safety is not the same as a normal M4. Neither is re-engaging the safety for rifle to pistol transition drills. This wont matter if you just use the rifle for casual plinking, but if you want to use it to build muscle memory and train to fight with the carbine it will be a poor choice.

I wish for Colt's sake they had a functional rifle at SHOT because I am sure many people would have pointed this out to them. Maybe they will fix it in the future, because it makes this plinker only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We were anticipating the release of the colt 22 after seeing it at SHOT. They didnt have a demo available...just a rubber model in a case...which made me wonder.

The first one hit my buddy's shop a few weeks ago and we were unimpresed.

It lacks the fit and feel of the Spikes or other dedicated 22 systems. The 30 round mag is a bit awkward.

Most importantly, I felt, was the safety. Safe is the usual indicator forward position we are all familiar with. However, the fire position is 180 degrees - ie the full auto position. This makes using this weapon as a trainer for carbine work a poor idea. Bringing the weapon up from the ready position and disengaging the safety is not the same as a normal M4. Neither is re-engaging the safety for rifle to pistol transition drills. This wont matter if you just use the rifle for casual plinking, but if you want to use it to build muscle memory and train to fight with the carbine it will be a poor choice.

I wish for Colt's sake they had a functional rifle at SHOT because I am sure many people would have pointed this out to them. Maybe they will fix it in the future, because it makes this plinker only.
</div></div>

I have to agree with you on everything that you have said. I really didnt like the selector switch its bullshit .... BUT I guess that is what happens when you let an Airsoft company make your rifle and only give them permission to use the name and trademark and dont make it yourself.

I just bought one last week. While the feel, fit & finish is rather poor, I thought for $550 I'd try it out. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it in the next couple of days and will try Aguila HV, Rem thunderbolt, and Fed classic blue box. My Spike's upper liked Fed best but we'll see what this "Colt" likes.

Have you guys tried adjusting the bolt speed aka bolt spring tension? Through all of the reviews I've read on a couple sites no one seems to have played with it.

I ended up keeping the M4 OPS that I ordered and was going to sell to fund another rifle. I think they are very close to the real mccoy and anyone that has messed with it or shot it has said the same. They can be finicky on ammo but you can adjust the bolt spring tension to suit the ammo you are shooting...so far, its worked great with a little trial and error.

Winchester Xpert and Rem Thunderbolts worked flawlessly and so has the Fed blue box standard velocity. I have not shot groups with it but my son and I did shread a few cans at 25 yards and I had no problem getting 50%+ hits on my 200 yard gong with some serious elevation on the rear sight!

I like it better than my GSGs and do think its worth the $550+

YMMV
John