• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New DPMS .308 and have questions!

Dmaxtay

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I just bought a DPMS AP4.308 and its my first .308...but not my first AR. I am a newbie to LR shooting but very interested in it. So I have a few questions for you guys?

1.What's up with these crap metal mags they come with that don't feed for SH*T???
2.My rifle has a collapsable stock and I want to but a Magpul PRS on it. Do I have to change out the Buffer, tube, and spring? and if so which one and how much?
3. Looking for a new rail. Thinking about the Troy Battle Rail TRX...any likes or dislikes? also realize I need a gas block instead of fixed front sight...any suggestions on those?
4. The scope im looking at putting on it is the Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP...Over kill or no? I have no idea about the difference from MIL and MOA but from what ive been told I need to decide which one I want :( I am wanting to do some descent long range target shooting and some hunting with it. Any suggestions??

Thanks guys!

photo (2).jpg

Last edited:
FIRST question first, how much did you pay for it? that would be a big factor if you should rip it all apart and mod it, or sell it and start over. That is a true AP4 .308 carbine... more of a true battle rifle and not a long range set up. That set up would be perfect for close combat / hog hunting with a eotech or red dot, NOT long range shooting especially with the fixed front sight. If you are going to use it for some hunting, then 16" barrel might be the way to go to keep the weight down, but the scope you're looking at would be way too much. What kind of hunting? deer? any .308 AR SCOPED will be heavy. if you are using for deer hunting, then you need something that goes down to 3x power. maybe even 4x on the low end but no more than that.... change out the front gas block to get rid of the fixed front sight and maybe something 2.5 - 10 power. 3-15 super sniper scope might be an option also... think they are selilng on sale right now for $699 and they are FFP!!!! Now on to your questions.

1. get a .308 pmag, that's if you can find one right now. personally, I wouldn't pay over $30 for one right now. $20 would be a good deal.... pmags are really the only way to go.

2. PRS is a great stock. I have never put one on before so im sure someone else here on the hide can help you out with this question. keep in mind this is a HEAVY stock and will add considerable weight to the rifle.

3. you are starting out with a free float front so that's good.... troy rail is not bad! you will also need to change out the gas block also

4.) 6-24 for a carbine rifle like that might be too much.... I think personally, max mag for that rifle would be 16x... also that is a TRUE carbine .308 rifle with a fixed front sight... might be a pain in the butt with a scope at lower powers = reason why entire gas block would need to be changed out IF you're going with a high power scope set up.

5.) you might not want to hear this, but with all the changes you want to make, and by the sounds of the scope you want to use with LR shooting, you might be better off just selling the entire rifle and getting something more suited around your needs. THAT's if you're going to be doing more long range target practice than hunting. By the time you change out all of that stuff you would prob be better off just selling and buying something based more around long range shooting... something with maybe a 18" to 20" heavy to maybe even a bull barrel. If I was you and you really want to get into .308 long range shooting, I would consider selling your rifle, and getting a rock river 20" varmint bull barrel in .308 cal. If money is not an option, then you can't go wrong with a GAP, OBR, OR LMT. I think you would be amazed how accurate a varmint A4 bull barrel .308 rock river would be. I know the stock isn't all that "tactical" but I would stick with it as it would be great for a rear sand bag. If you got this rifle with a 20" bull barrel, THEN I would get a 6-24 scope!!! Make note that this set up would not be the best for hunting as it would be really heavy (pretty much ANY .308 AR is going to be heavy, but this is more of a bench / target only type rifle and would be WAY to heavy dragging thru the woods). Now that would be a bad ass set up IMO for the money..... IMO, accuracy VS money invested, you can NOT go wrong with a rock river... about the only downfall to rock river .308 rifles is you can NOT use pmags, but rock river mags really are not that hard to find for an OK price. See links below for ideas. IMO, I would sell your rifle and start over. Might even still get a great price if you sell right away before the market goes back to normal. Who knows, you might even get more than what you paid for it. Armslist is a great online tool for selling rifles and I'm sure yours would sell really fast. Deal only face to face, CASH only. If you can, sell it for what you have invested IF NOT try to make some money for your scope purchase! If you do sell, then don't wait too long as prices are dropping like a rock:

A4 varmint stainless bull barrel: Rock River Arms: LAR-8 Varmint A4

somewhat the best of both worlds with stainless heavy barrel: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=402

just for example... at today's still crazy prices I think anything $1800 and under for a bull barrel .308 rock river varmint AR would be a good deal.. $1500 to $1600 would be great in today's standards!! IMO, 20" barrel would be perfect... some would say go 24", but I don't think it is needed and only adds weight. This rifle with a harris swivel 3" to 6" bipod, larue LT158 mount, and vortex PST 6-24 FFP scope would be a bad ass little set up for the money:

this actually has an adjustable stock and is not bad, but would kinda suck for a rear sand bag..ROCK RIVER LAR8 308 20 INCH VARMINT COLL STOCK : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

I just bought a DPMS AP4.308 and its my first .308...but not my first AR. I am a newbie to LR shooting but very interested in it. So I have a few questions for you guys?

1.What's up with these crap metal mags they come with that don't feed for SH*T???
2.My rifle has a collapsable stock and I want to but a Magpul PRS on it. Do I have to change out the Buffer, tube, and spring? and if so which one and how much?
3. Looking for a new rail. Thinking about the Troy Battle Rail TRX...any likes or dislikes? also realize I need a gas block instead of fixed front sight...any suggestions on those?
4. The scope im looking at putting on it is the Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP...Over kill or no? I have no idea about the difference from MIL and MOA but from what ive been told I need to decide which one I want :( I am wanting to do some descent long range target shooting and some hunting with it. Any suggestions??

Thanks guys!

View attachment 5197

Last edited:
WOW thanks for all that info!! I just got the gun yesterday for a pretty good deal!! I payed $1400 for it. I think you right once I started looking at everything I wanted to change I realized that I might as well sell it and keep looking for a gun more suitable for my needs! I definitely want to keep the AR platform. I have been looking at GAP10 but from what i've heard there pretty hard to come by and super spendy... with all this gun stuff being crazy right now what do you think I could get for my gun?? I might just flip it and keep looking...

you might be able to get 1600 maybe 1700 on armslist in your area.... hell, try for 1700.. if you get it, then great.... maybe let them work you down to 1500. I don't think i'd let it go for any less than 1500. Two months ago you could've got $2k easy. the more you wait the more prices will keep going down.

used correct?

WOW thanks for all that info!! I just got the gun yesterday for a pretty good deal!! I payed $1400 for it. I think you right once I started looking at everything I wanted to change I realized that I might as well sell it and keep looking for a gun more suitable for my needs! I definitely want to keep the AR platform. I have been looking at GAP10 but from what i've heard there pretty hard to come by and super spendy... with all this gun stuff being crazy right now what do you think I could get for my gun?? I might just flip it and keep looking...

BTW, if you do sell on armslist.... always do face to face, and cash only... and do a bill of sale to cover your ass.

I've sold 3 rifles on armslist and made money on all 3 even after putting rounds down the tube.... AR's are a great investment.

what state do you live in?

Keep the gun and put a 1-4 PST on it, you will like it, that short barrel shoots very well. I will be dropping a 20 inch barrel on mine in the next year or so but am happy with the 16 right now, 1 inch groups good enough for me on an AR with a shorty barrel. When you get a hand guard make sure you look at teh YHM website on how to measure for which one you need. I have a Geissele SSA trigger sitting on my desk to instal tomorrow, that's the only part that disappointed me on the gun.

Keep the gun and put a 1-4 PST on it, you will like it, that short barrel shoots very well. I will be dropping a 20 inch barrel on mine in the next year or so but am happy with the 16 right now, 1 inch groups good enough for me on an AR with a shorty barrel. When you get a hand guard make sure you look at teh YHM website on how to measure for which one you need. I have a Geissele SSA trigger sitting on my desk to instal tomorrow, that's the only part that disappointed me on the gun.

Do you really think I should? I think with all the stuff I want to do with it and parts to invest I might as well sell it and try to find a rifle I like!

I think no matter what rifle you get you will want to change it after reading this forum as well as AR 15 and AR308 forums, you will make it "yours" so to speak. Now if you want to order one with everything you think you need at this time you can do that, but you will pay $ for it, plus you will most likely still change a bunch of stuff. You have a good basic chassis for a good price now a days, check your upper and lower fitment, mine is the tightest fit I ever had on an AR, its a good start, read, learn what works and what you want and have at it. This is just my opinion, cant tell you how many thousands I have wasted on stuff I really didn't need/want in the end.

I think no matter what rifle you get you will want to change it after reading this forum as well as AR 15 and AR308 forums, you will make it "yours" so to speak. Now if you want to order one with everything you think you need at this time you can do that, but you will pay $ for it, plus you will most likely still change a bunch of stuff. You have a good basic chassis for a good price now a days, check your upper and lower fitment, mine is the tightest fit I ever had on an AR, its a good start, read, learn what works and what you want and have at it. This is just my opinion, cant tell you how many thousands I have wasted on stuff I really didn't need/want in the end.

Ya your right! The only thing is I think that I will end up spending more making what I want then just biting the bullet now and getting it the way I want it. I do see what your saying and your right!!! Thanks for you suggestions...

Hey T,

Just dont get caught up on the bull barrel craze. It doesn't have to have an inch thick barrel to get good accuracy.

If you really want another gun or upper I would look at (in no particular order) GAP10, POF P308, Hogan, JP, Larue, LMT, Rock River, DPMS.

Get a Geissele trigger, the battle rail is great, agree you don't need a bull barrel , pick up some 308 PMAGS, go slow wait for prices to come back in line. Get the trigger first, one other thing to consider is the over sized bolt and mag releases.

Hey T,

Just dont get caught up on the bull barrel craze. It doesn't have to have an inch thick barrel to get good accuracy.

If you really want another gun or upper I would look at (in no particular order) GAP10, POF P308, Hogan, JP, Larue, LMT, Rock River, DPMS.

Thanks H!!! This in a pretty tough decision

Get a Geissele trigger, the battle rail is great, agree you don't need a bull barrel , pick up some 308 PMAGS, go slow wait for prices to come back in line. Get the trigger first, one other thing to consider is the over sized bolt and mag releases.

Ill have to check those out!

Thanks guys!

View attachment 5197
I've got the same rifle. :D

DPMS mags. Seem to be hit and miss. I think you can fix the feed lips and make them work, if you want to go to the trouble. Might want to search for that. But, yeah, Pmags are great.

I have a PRS on my long range DPMS. On my AP4, I have a UBR. For long range, the PRS is valuable in having the flat bottom to use with a rear bag. And I could mount a monopod on the rail. The PRS has the adjustable cheek, but the newer DPMS uppers don't really need much for a riser. They are shorter than the previous ones that I've seen before.

LOP. I think the UBR actually has a longer LOP fully extended. With the AP4, you already have the carbine buffer and spring. It is a really nice set up. The cheek area doesn't move. You have a decent amount of adjustment for summer to winter clothes, or body armor. A little storage, and it's easy to mount QD slings.

Scope? I use a 8.5x25 scope on my DPMS LR65 rifle, and it has a 24" stock barrel that I'm replacing with a 26" Kreiger. I shoot out to 1000 yards in competition with that. I have a 3.5x10 for my AP4 carbine. With the lighter 16" barrel and 308 ammo, I'm not really expecting the accuracy of my 6.5 set up. But I should be able to put down good hits at over 600 yards. What are you expecting out of your long range shooting?

Last edited:
its not needed, but it really helps IMO to have a bull barrel if used for just target shooting. at a minimum I would make sure it has a heavy barrel.

Hey T,

If this rifle is going to be used for hunting too I'd stay away from a bull barrel. You can do pretty good with a mid weight possibly heavy contour especially if you have an adjustable gas block and a good muzzle Brake........ Just saying if it's a dual purpose gun you need to be somewhere in the middle. If it's strickly a long range shooter absolutely heavy barrel or bull.

Last edited:
if used for both hunting and target, then I agree. this would be perfect for you IMO in a nice heavy stainless steel barrel. Maybe someone on the HIDE that owns one of these can chime in.

I bet you could get this on gunbroker or maybe Kentucky gun company if you're lucky for about $1600 dollars.... maybe set up some auto email notifications. Maybe even wait just a little bit to see if prices come down some...

Rock River Arms: LAR-8 Predator HP

Rock River LAR-8 Predator HP 308 20"

Rock River LAR-8 Predator HP A2 Buttstock 308 20" BBL

If this rifle is going to be used for hunting too I'd stay away from a bull barrel. You can do pretty good with a mid weight possibly heavy contour especially if you have an adjustable gas block and a good muzzle Brake........ Just saying if it's a dual purpose gun you need to be somewhere in the middle. If it's strickly a long range shooter absolutely heavy barrel or bull.

Last edited:
I think everyone has a solid point...Just cant figure out my situation haha uh well ill just see how it goes

I have a DPMS LR 308 24" SS 6=24X optic RRA Match 2 stage trigger.

I shoot this gun often, I don't run with it, I don't hunt with it.
With the AP4 upper and the .308 lower you already have, it provides you some interesting flexibility.
You could acquire a DPMS LR upper, Bull Barrel, something to appropriately fit that 24x Viper optic you mentioned earlier in your post.
You could then switch back and forth, AP4 or LR?

I like Rock River stuff too, but don't discount the advantage of PMAGS in that DPMS
I use PMAGS in mine, they rock. Never had a problem with them, ever.
I use the std. steel DPMS mags as bolt stops when I'm bench shooting. That's about
all I use them for, less wear on the PMAGS.

Scrap the factory trigger, its horrible. I use a RRA Match 2 stage in mine.
Had to hone and polish a bit before installing the trigger, even the new RRA triggers are a bit
rough around the edges.

Last edited:
I don't see that anyone has mentioned it, but yes, to add on a PRS stock, you will need to get a full length buffer tube, spring, and buffer, but that won't add much extra cost. You can often find the extra parts being sold here on the hide by members who have swapped out their own gear.

I think I've already built what you are considering:

IMG_1761.jpg

DPMS LR-308 with 24" bull barrel
JP Handguard
JP Trigger
JP Benny Cooley muzzle brake
JP adjustable gas block
Magpul PRS with extended buttpad
Accu Shot BT13-QK monopod
Phase 5 EBRv2
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP
Burris Xtreme Tac 30mm medium rings

Shoots lights out with virtually no recoil, but is a chunky piglet!! I've shot several Tac matches with it, but those had minimal shooter movement. Too long and heavy for a hunting rifle IMO. I'm seriosly considering having the barrel chopped to 18" or 20". LOVE the Viper PST 6-24x though!! Well not as much as my Viper HS XLR, but both are awesome scopes! Come up to Woody's macth on June 22nd and you will see just about everything under the Sun in LR equipment. This will be in the truck as my backup gun.

Match Info - Woody's Designated Marksman Match

Thanks! I think thats a pretty good idea! maybe I can just find the upper I want and do it that way

I have a DPMS LR 308 24" SS 6=24X optic RRA Match 2 stage trigger.

I shoot this gun often, I don't run with it, I don't hunt with it.
With the AP4 upper and the .308 lower you already have, it provides you some interesting flexibility.
You could acquire a DPMS LR upper, Bull Barrel, something to appropriately fit that 24x Viper optic you mentioned earlier in your post.
You could then switch back and forth, AP4 or LR?

I like Rock River stuff too, but don't discount the advantage of PMAGS in that DPMS
I use PMAGS in mine, they rock. Never had a problem with them, ever.
I use the std. steel DPMS mags as bolt stops when I'm bench shooting. That's about
all I use them for, less wear on the PMAGS.

Scrap the factory trigger, its horrible. I use a RRA Match 2 stage in mine.
Had to hone and polish a bit before installing the trigger, even the new RRA triggers are a bit
rough around the edges.

VERY NICE!!!! Thats what im looking for! Thanks for the post.

I think I've already built what you are considering:

IMG_1761.jpg

DPMS LR-308 with 24" bull barrel
JP Handguard
JP Trigger
JP Benny Cooley muzzle brake
JP adjustable gas block
Magpul PRS with extended buttpad
Accu Shot BT13-QK monopod
Phase 5 EBRv2
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP
Burris Xtreme Tac 30mm medium rings

Shoots lights out with virtually no recoil, but is a chunky piglet!! I've shot several Tac matches with it, but those had minimal shooter movement. Too long and heavy for a hunting rifle IMO. I'm seriosly considering having the barrel chopped to 18" or 20". LOVE the Viper PST 6-24x though!! Well not as much as my Viper HS XLR, but both are awesome scopes! Come up to Woody's macth on June 22nd and you will see just about everything under the Sun in LR equipment. This will be in the truck as my backup gun.

Match Info - Woody's Designated Marksman Match

I would sell the one you have and try to find a DPMS SASS. It has all the items you want to change including a JP trigger. Of all the 308"s I own ( Devine TX M1A NM, SIG 716, LMT MWS, Armalite AR 10A4 and the SASS) It is the most consistently accurate 308 I own.
As another poster has said you will have to change the receiver extension, buffer and spring to put a PRS on your DPMS. I had to do that on my LMT and Armalite. The SASS comes with one + a Harris bipod.

Last edited:
I would sell the one you have and try to find a DPMS SASS. It has all the items you want to change including a JP trigger. Of all the 308"s I own ( Devine TX M1A NM, SIG 716, LMT MWS, Armalite AR 10A4 and the SASS) It is the most consistently accurate 308 I own.
As another poster has said you will have to change the receiver extension, buffer and spring to put a PRS on your DPMS. I had to do that on my LMT and Armalite. The SASS comes with one + a Harris bipod.

Ya I might look into that!! Thanks for the advice!

You can send the mags back to DPMS, or try working on them yourself. Often, all that is required of most of them is to open up the feed lips by gently bending them upwards, then polish off any burrs or machine leftovers on the feed lips. First, check to see how the mags are malfunctioning, that will dictate the "cure". All 5 of my mags work perfectly, and all they needed was what I put in above. You can make up 5-10 dummy rounds to cycle through the rifle, and they will really help. Watch how the magazine presents the rounds to the breech of the barrel...

I have a DPMS SASS It is a awesome shooting rifle. Sub moa with 168 FGGM. It comes with everything you need and you don't have to do a single mod.I personally hate the SASS hand-grip but other than that for me it's everything I wanted in a .308 semi auto. The weight is not bad either as the barrel is 18" and fluted.