• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New DTA ~ SRS 300 win

Linkpimp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
So-Cal / OC Area
Yeah.. It’s finally here.. I’m just a scope away from playing with the big boys.. hahaahaa..

IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6896.jpg

I’m also still waiting on tons of stuff I’ve already ordered (308 conv kit, hard shell, sling, extra mags, cleaning kit, etc, etc) but at least I have the main piece home..

A quick question for the team..

I do <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> need to break in the barrel correct?

Re: New DTA ~ SRS 300 win

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> need to break in the barrel correct?

. </div></div>

Your in the big leagues with that question, so dont expect answers to come light like on INGO.

1st thing someoen will chime in and say is do a search as it's been covered X amount of times in the past.

As for me... go ahead and do the 1st ten rounds clean after each just for posterity, then don't look back. Don't neglect but don't be silly and clean daily.

Check with the barrel manufacturer and they usually have a recommended break in procedure. Just be sure to clean it before your first round. Even though DTA has already put three down the pipe it is better safe then sorry. My DTA has a Krieger, I think these days they are using Walters barrels. Your best bet would be to check if Walters had any input.

Off the subject, what bipod is that? Looks great

This is a great platform and a pleasure to shoot.

Enjoy and have fun.

Your going to find everyone has a break opinion. Clean the rifle when you get it... shoot 400 or so round clean again. Repeat as often as possible. Keep an eye out if your groups start opening up before 400. If they do, clean 25 rounds before they started to open.

Does the hight of the bipod adjust? If not you might want to start looking for a new one.

Let me know how that bipod works out. I didn't think it was stable enough on mine, so I had that RND custom job done (which is a bit overkill admittedly).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NICE!!! </div></div>

Thanks sir.. I'm really happy with it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

. </div></div>

Your in the big leagues with that question, so dont expect answers to come light like on INGO.

1st thing someoen will chime in and say is do a search as it's been covered X amount of times in the past.

As for me... go ahead and do the 1st ten rounds clean after each just for posterity, then don't look back. Don't neglect but don't be silly and clean daily. </div></div>

Hahahaa.. Top of the morning to your SIR.. Actually I treid to read up tons of threads here, one thread I really enjoyed reading was like 6 pages long..

The gist I got out of that was this.

• Factory barrels need to be broken in
• High end barrels don't need / require any break in..

I tried to call Ethan today but just got VM.. I was really hopping some other SRS guys would just confirm that a slow steady shoot, not to heat up the barrel at first, etc, etc, etc..

I’m the new guy but I’m learning as quick as I can, especially with this crowd.. Hahaa.. hey I’m trying..
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308JEFF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle, bipod looks out of this world! </div></div>

Hey thanks.. I actually saw one similar on Dogtown's and found something that I really liked.. I’m looking forward to seeing how it functions’ in the real world thou, it may look cool but if it doesn’t work it's gone.. ROLEXrifleman gave me a lecture on the does and don’ts of life..
fred.gif
What did he it call it
headscratch.gif
Oohh yeah the CDI factor.. Chicks did it.. LOL.. yeha I'm not for that.. but if i can both well then..
cheers.gif

Hey thanks again for your time and comments..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want that!

Asking about barrel break in is nothing to fear. After all, we're here to help right?

Here's a link for ya.

Proper Barrel Break In </div></div>

I really should have seen that one coming.. LOL.. thanks..
embarass20.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check with the barrel manufacturer and they usually have a recommended break in procedure. Just be sure to clean it before your first round. Even though DTA has already put three down the pipe it is better safe then sorry. My DTA has a Krieger, I think these days they are using Walters barrels. Your best bet would be to check if Walters had any input.

Off the subject, what bipod is that? Looks great

This is a great platform and a pleasure to shoot.

Enjoy and have fun. </div></div>

Clean it first?? I thought most barrel damage happens during cleaning? I also haven’t received my cleaning kit from DTA so I’m a little apprehensive at the moment..

I’ll defiantly look into the barrel manufactures recommendations, I’m really just hopping that Ethan at DTA will be able to confirm that a nice slow shooting is the best way to break it in..

I’m sorry another Newbie question.. Where can I look to find out who made the barrel? I’m looking at this one and it doesn’t seam to say, I cant find anything in the manual either…

Hey thanks again for your time and comments..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Usdmgtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your going to find everyone has a break opinion. Clean the rifle when you get it... shoot 400 or so round clean again. Repeat as often as possible. Keep an eye out if your groups start opening up before 400. If they do, clean 25 rounds before they started to open. </div></div>

Question for you sir.. sorry..

At what point should I be looking for coppering in the barrel? Just after the groups open up? Every 5-10 shoots at first? Again I'm sorry I'm trying to learn this stuff..

Thanks again for your time and advice..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Usdmgtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the hight of the bipod adjust? If not you might want to start looking for a new one. </div></div>

Yeah.. here what it looks like folded up

IMG_6901.jpg

Maxim extension is around 4” (I think)

IMG_6905.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me know how that bipod works out. I didn't think it was stable enough on mine, so I had that RND custom job done (which is a bit overkill admittedly). </div></div>

Will do sir.. I'm hoping to run into you at the one So-Cal shoots, then you can try it out all you want..
gatling_gun.gif

The barrel should be melonite coated I believe. Just go out and shoot it.

That SUCKS!!!!!! Only because I'm a lefty! Nice stick!
Steve

Might want to sign up for the online training in this site... Lots of great classes and two on rifle cleaning.

You don't need to look at anything... Copper in the barrel is good no need to remove it all. Run a bore snake at the end of ranges days wait 500 - 1000 rounds a clean. If you see the groups open up before then you can clean earlier.

With no cant and no notches on the legs you might find it hard to level the rifle in the field under stress and time limits. Only use will tell... You will get to love brad and his timer in your ear.

Are you shooting this Sun and WEGC?