• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New ELR build! Need help choosing!

brooTool

Zor
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
Hesperia, CA
I have allocated $1500 to put towards a new rifle to shoot 1,000-1500 yards, only problem is I want a .300 win mag and I normally shoot .308 long range. I need help deciding which rifle i should buy or build. I hand load my cartridges and will be hand loading for this rifle as well. I was thinking of purchasing a Ruger Precision with plans of upgrading the barrel down the line. I was also thinking of building a custom bolt action but i do not know which action is best for my price range And caliber. Any knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Any modern setup will get you to 1000-1500. RPR would be fine. Farther than that, a BAT, Borden, Kelbly, etc. would be the choice for me. A BAT M is incredibly versatile. 6br to 338 Lapua with different bolts. Pricey though.

Hell
At those ranges I wouldn’t bother with a 300 when a 260 or 6.5CM can do it comfortably.

Regularly at a mile a 7mm or 300 is nice.

Pretty much any custom action will do you just need to select the features to want.

My magnum rifle is built on a ARC nucleus.

6.5 out to 1500? My experiences are max 1200 yards, last meet those shooting 6.5 at 1k couldn’t even score a X with a full value 8-10 mph wind, bullets are too light. Looking to step it up to a more suitable long range caliber. I will eventually be shooting out to 1800 for shit and giggles.

6.5 out to 1500? My experiences are max 1200 yards, last meet those shooting 6.5 at 1k couldn’t even score a X with a full value 8-10 mph wind, bullets are too light. Looking to step it up to a more suitable long range caliber. I will eventually be shooting out to 1800 for shit and giggles.

I shot my 260 to over a mile like a dozen times last year.
Even on windy days I always got hits often consecutive ones in stable conditions.
It‘s not optimal but enjoyable.
MY 7 saum definitely makes it even easier.

Hi,

Broo.....please tell us that you see the irony in you making a thread asking for opinions on which rifle, etc etc but then post "my experiences" as a rebuttal to a members suggestion??

Sincerely,
Theis
True, was not meant to be negative, just was more interested in a barreled action or rifle etc. looking for a magnum caliber in the $1500 price range with a lil more range and terminal ballistics, i should have been more clear. Looking to step up a size in class, truly did not mean anything bad! ?

I am a decent shooter, definitely not the best , soo a heavier bullet say 210 traveling much faster with an extremely flat trajectory going to make it a lot easier. I played around with my 308 and 6.5 and wanna experience something different.

Origin long action and a Shilen or criterion prefit on 300 PRC.
A modern version of 300 WM with factory ammo and in the $1500 range.

Same trajectory as my saum but a 30-40 grain heavier bullet so easier to spot at distance.

ruger is a decent option as well and certainly a cheaper in.

Origin long action and a Shilen or criterion prefit on 300 PRC.
A modern version of 300 WM with factory ammo and in the $1500 range.

Same trajectory as my saum but a 30-40 grain heavier bullet so easier to spot at distance.

ruger is a decent option as well and certainly a cheaper in.
Gunna check it out, i can rebarrel to 300 prc later as well correct?

I am a decent shooter, definitely not the best , soo a heavier bullet say 210 traveling much faster with an extremely flat trajectory going to make it a lot easier. I played around with my 308 and 6.5 and wanna experience something different.

News flash, shooting a less than ideal combo will make you a better shooter. 6.5 with the right bullet and load is perfectly adequate for shooting to 1500 yards.

You’re not going to build an ELR rifle that’s worth a crap for your budget. Especially if you’re looking are custom actions and stuff, a good custom action will eat up your entire budget, maybe enough left over for a trigger if you’re lucky.

Reactions: Harman117
The rpr is probably your best option in that price range. I have one in 300win mag and it shoots the 225g eld-m really well. Ruger offers the gun now in 300 and 6.5 prc also.

Reactions: brooTool
Tikka T3x TAC A1 6.5 Creedmoor out of the box the barrel is on it. Use Hornady ELM 147 bullets with great results. You will need a few dollars over 1500, no custom or rework is needed. Scope will cost more than the rifle.

For 1000 to 1500 I think a 7PRC would be excellent. Not a 300 PRC necked down, but a 6.5 necked up. I think necking down the 300 would be fucking awesome, but necking up the 6.5 to 7 would be enough.

Thankyou all! I purchased a RPR in 300 win mag! Got it for a KILLER deal brand new! I also matched it with a vortex amg! I got an accutac sr-5 g2 for the bipod and bought the spiked feet. Ima swap my midwest 15” free floated handgaurd off my lr308 build onto the RPR. I have a magpul prs just sitting soooooo ima throw that on it as well. I plan on rebarreling to 300 prc in about a year when the barrel is shot out, thinking 26” bullet weight specific bartlein :)

Thankyou all! I purchased a RPR in 300 win mag! Got it for a KILLER deal brand new! I also matched it with a vortex amg! I got an accutac sr-5 g2 for the bipod and bought the spiked feet. Ima swap my midwest 15” free floated handgaurd off my lr308 build onto the RPR. I have a magpul prs just sitting soooooo ima throw that on it as well. I plan on rebarreling to 300 prc in about a year when the barrel is shot out, thinking 26” bullet weight specific bartlein :)

Congrats, have fun!

News flash, shooting a less than ideal combo will make you a better shooter. 6.5 with the right bullet and load is perfectly adequate for shooting to 1500 yards.

You’re not going to build an ELR rifle that’s worth a crap for your budget. Especially if you’re looking are custom actions and stuff, a good custom action will eat up your entire budget, maybe enough left over for a trigger if you’re lucky.
Thats why i practice on a 308 and not a 6.5 super flat easy shooting 1k rifle, i enjoy 6.5 on light wind days but they are boring on slack days! Lol

Excellent, so goes the $1500 budget. Maybe overspent x 3?

Excellent, so goes the $1500 budget. Maybe overspent x 3?
Lol, the $1500 was just for the rifle/action. I ended up spending 4,300 total
3D6D6269-E832-457C-B0AE-BBF3E52AEC1D.jpeg

Reactions: rsb
Ima tweak the trigger by cutting 2-3 links off the trigger spring and it allows you to adjust from 1-3 lbs ish, ima rebarrel to 300prc in like a year when the cartridge has been around and has more projectile and case options/barrels

Ima tweak the trigger by cutting 2-3 links off the trigger spring and it allows you to adjust from 1-3 lbs ish, ima rebarrel to 300prc in like a year when the cartridge has been around and has more projectile and case options/barrels
Just buy the exact correct spring for ten bucks. Then one does not make a mistake and have the original if one does not like the new light trigger.

did not know they had replace springs
These are a lighter trigger pull without screwing up the original one only. Cut the orginal wrong and your out of commission until you acquire another spring to screw that one up too. I would rather just get a new spring with a known trigger pull versus one of unknown results.