• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New employer giving me the run around, advice wanted

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I applied for a position for my local city, got the interview, went well, then got offered another position, similar to the one I applied for. I was told it would be a 8am-4pm job. Cool deal, Ill take it.
    Then when the official offer letter came in, there was a slight change to the position and ill be required to do a little more in a 2 year time frame than originally expected... but pay was a tad higher than I thought, no biggie, I can roll with that I guess.

So, today, I get a call from my supervisor, mind you, I havent even started at this job yet, thats next week.. But, he calls to inform me that they changed the shifts to work with the job better and we will be doing 12 hour shifts now, 2-2-3 shifts.. 7am-7pm..

This annoyed me a little, I get the pro's and con's of it, but I'd rather be home at a decent hour everyday and spend time with my family.... Would it be/look bad on me to call the supervisor to express my concern and ask about a similar job at another plant they have that is doing 8 hour shifts?

Absolutely not. You haven’t started and the job changed. Call someone and tell them it doesn’t work for you. Quality of life is more important than “Being a good guy” and doing the job even though it’s not what they hired you for And not what you want.

I need the job, since I agreed on this, I quit my last job, which sucked big time.
    The other plant is 26 minutes more a day driving, which isnt bad, but the plant theyve hired me for is 5 miles away.

I just didnt want to get off on the wrong foot with upper management before I even start. Everyone has been super nice and awesome people, but like I said, the job application was and still says for "8 hour shifts" They told me they just changed this today with the hours.

Well, that IS a definitely different shift than was offered, and such.

But, at the same time, I will say that I have worked that shift for years, as well as a number of other configurations, and that one is BY FAR my favorite'est shift. Two days, two nights, then '4' off. Even though it is essentially 3.5

The thing is, that 24 hour break after the second shift CAN be useful, as well as helps break the monotony. The 'days off' can definitely help when you are either a fisherman or a hunter, and such.

I'll also add, that taking a 'week off' is actually 12 days in a row. If you have 2 weeks vacation a year, you essentially end up with 3 weeks still with full pay. IF you are able to swap the last shifts with a co-worker, then you COULD do 4-days in a row before a holiday plan.

There are so many more highlights to that shift setup, than just days-off/holidays. I'm just trying to point out a few.

This is back when I was working as a Millwright in a sawmill.

Anything after 8 hours should be time and a half. So 12 hour shifts? Sure. No problem. Just pay me overtime, time and time and a half for the extra 4 hours per day, or you'll be dealing with a State Fair Wage and Hour complaint. And dealing with my lawyer or Union.

Agree with navynambu. Essentially, 12 hour shifts should pay more, regardless of total hours worked. 12 hours can be grueling, or it can be liberating. Depends on your personality and the job. I do think the employer's inconsistency indicates they will likely be a royal pita to work for. They'll never stick to their word and always be yanking your chain.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    In my mind that's an upgrade of a schedule. More days off is better. Also, the 26 min more drive is an hour a day plus gas so its a 9 hour day instead of 12. If you think you'll like the job id go for it and see how it shakes out. You can always start the hunt again which is where you'll be if you dont take it.

Most places over 40 in a week is when overtime kicks in, not 8 hour shift. Lots of 12 hour shifts around that dont get overtime. All contract dependent.

I worked 100+ hours a week at an old job with no days off on the schedule. A day off meant someone screwed up and we were waiting on site more often than not, this 12 hour thing with days off sounds amazing.

Reactions: Bender and Pbgt
    Ya'lls laws are different than ours, as-is the "Labour Code" and whatnot.

With our contract, it was a 'negotiated' thing wherein the 12 hour shifts were at straight time. Except on Sunday's, where it was time-and-a-half. (when scheduled). This is because of the 'averaging it out over the course of a month' type of thing.

BUT, any overtime worked after those 12 hours, was double-time. Any 'extra shifts' picked up over-and-above the regular set was 11 hrs at time-and-a-half and the 12th hour as double-time. Any extra shift picked up on a Sunday was straight 'double-time'. The shift 'start day' is the continuation of the rate day. (ie a Saturday night shift would start at 7:00 pm Saturday evening, and finish at 7:00 am Sunday morning, but since it started on Saturday it was a 'straight-time' if scheduled, OR time-and-a-half if overtime with the last hour as double-time.)

Point being, if it is a negotiated and 'sanctioned' shift (if a Union facility) then it can be different wording that the local 'labour laws' but as long as they equate to the same coverage, it can be completely legal. Up here in Canada, it has to be 'the same as or better than' the minimum requirements of the Code.

Take it from someone who's wife works for a municipality. There are no rules.....even if they say there are. All state and county labor rules / laws don't apply either.

Be polite and tell them you're thankful for the offer, but have family obligations (Kid's softball, scouting, etc) and need the evenings off. Tell them you're somewhat flexible in the 8-6 realm, and that's what was originally offered, so you like the company and would like them to work something out. They may allow it and both sides win.

Ya'lls laws are different than ours, as-is the "Labour Code" and whatnot.

With our contract, it was a 'negotiated' thing wherein the 12 hour shifts were at straight time. Except on Sunday's, where it was time-and-a-half. (when scheduled). This is because of the 'averaging it out over the course of a month' type of thing.

BUT, any overtime worked after those 12 hours, was double-time. Any 'extra shifts' picked up over-and-above the regular set was 11 hrs at time-and-a-half and the 12th hour as double-time. Any extra shift picked up on a Sunday was straight 'double-time'. The shift 'start day' is the continuation of the rate day. (ie a Saturday night shift would start at 7:00 pm Saturday evening, and finish at 7:00 am Sunday morning, but since it started on Saturday it was a 'straight-time' if scheduled, OR time-and-a-half if overtime with the last hour as double-time.)

Point being, if it is a negotiated and 'sanctioned' shift (if a Union facility) then it can be different wording that the local 'labour laws' but as long as they equate to the same coverage, it can be completely legal. Up here in Canada, it has to be 'the same as or better than' the minimum requirements of the Code.
    The labor laws in CO say anything over 12 hours is to be paid as overtime. I actually went through this with place that was making us work 15 hour shifts but not paying overtime for extra three.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    I work in the plants too. It always is that way. They tell you one thing going in and once in, the people running the job in the field are doing something different. The way I see it, more hours = more overtime, therefore more money.

I'd take it! Don't like it? Look for another job.

I have a friend at the other plant and they have a spot open and are 8 hours, Ill apply for that today and see what happens and just go in next week for the 12 hour crap.

I talked to the head of the dept. a little while ago and he was nervous that I was going to bail and apologized that it wasnt told to me at the interview... I expressed that I can make it work but would prefer to work 8 hours and if the other plant is 8 hours, Id like to do that. Its 26 min, total. 13 more each way.
    He replied "Well, Ive talked to the supervisor there and they are going to 12 at some point, I just dont know when"

I asked my friend and he said his supervisor is 100% against the 12 hour shifts... so now, I feel like I am being lied to because they want to keep me here since they are in need of people badly.

Take it from someone who's wife works for a municipality. There are no rules.....even if they say there are. All state and county labor rules / laws don't apply either.

I was going to type this same response after reading every reply. Government jobs suck. You do what they tell ya or you're gone. Pretty simple.

Look for employment in other areas. You'll be much better off.

One of the bad things about this shift is that in the Winter, you're going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

That sucks, no matter who you are.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Don’t agree to shit.

Show up, work the 8-4 like was discussed earlier and see how long it takes them to fire you.

Use your extra time to find new employment.

Anything after 8 hours should be time and a half. So 12 hour shifts? Sure. No problem. Just pay me overtime, time and time and a half for the extra 4 hours per day, or you'll be dealing with a State Fair Wage and Hour complaint. And dealing with my lawyer or Union.

Ah, union....

Most people start overtime at 40 hours. State and job dependant.

Absolutely not. You haven’t started and the job changed. Call someone and tell them it doesn’t work for you. Quality of life is more important than “Being a good guy” and doing the job even though it’s not what they hired you for And not what you want.
    Yeah, a lot of people are pulling this shit nowadays. The sad thing is, most companies are trying to squeeze every bit out of everyone, that they aren’t paying for. For example, lots of companies will schedule meetings at lunch and the idea is that you are taking your lunch and doing company stuff but are “really” at lunch. In other words, you are still working while essentially not getting paid. Some people don’t mind working during lunch and that’s fine. I can and certainly have worked many a 20hr shifts during my time but as I get older I’m finding that’s not really kosher. I mean I’m salary and being salary and giving 40-45 hrs a week is one thing. That’s what we agreed upon for said pay, but what you will find is that a lot of companies will work you 90hrs for that agreed upon 40 hour pay. That’s not cool. And damn near everyone is doing it these days. And like I said they try to spin things as if it’s not work. Another example, company outings. They will want you to come to things on a Saturday for like community help or something. That’s cool. But in my mind that’s still company time so don’t be surprised if I take another day off for the Saturday I worked. If you let them roll over you, they will. And it’s sad that we even have to think that way but that is today’s environment. Sadly, a lot of companies will lose good people because of crap like that too. The irony is then said companies will complain that they can’t get any employees or the skill expertise they require. The choice is yours but as I’ve gotten older I’ve realized what is important, your time and time with the family.

With that said, a lot of this will depend on the labor laws of your state. Unfortunately, there are a lot of places where no contract is binding as in there is really no contract and the company can change the scope at any time. The choice is yours to either keep putting up with the bullshit or leave.

Be polite and tell them you're thankful for the offer, but have family obligations (Kid's softball, scouting, etc) and need the evenings off. Tell them you're somewhat flexible in the 8-6 realm, and that's what was originally offered, so you like the company and would like them to work something out. They may allow it and both sides win.
    You can try it. Like I said above, your time is important. As I get older that is crystal clear to me, and I still don’t feel like I have enough time. Time is the one thing you can never get back.

I will bet which ever decision you make you will be fine! You seem to have your head on straight, you are willing to do what it takes to have a job and you struggle with wanting to spend more the with the family, tells me your priorities are right, providing for your family and spending time with the. Good luck either way!

Reactions: BullGear
    Just remember this....

zz12.jpg

Didnt read the whole thread but if it were me Id be looking for something else right now, see if you can get another job before youre schedulded to start. As mentioned above, this is an indicator of the future..

Didnt read the whole thread but if it were me Id be looking for something else right now, see if you can get another job before youre schedulded to start. As mentioned above, this is an indicator of the future..
    The only downside to this, I was offered the job 3+ weeks ago, so I said yes and worked a week notice at my crap job(lowes). So I’ve been without income for 3-4 weeks now. I have a savings but I don’t want to keep using it. I’ve been looking all day, but nothing worth going to so far.

The only downside to this, I was offered the job 3+ weeks ago, so I said yes and worked a week notice at my crap job(lowes). So I’ve been without income for 3-4 weeks now. I have a savings but I don’t want to keep using it. I’ve been looking all day, but nothing worth going to so far.
    Is it days only at that schedule or a rotating day and night shift?

Days only, for now. Who knows if something else will change. They’ve been switching things up on me so far.
    If its days only that is a great schedule. You get several more days off during the month and get days off during the week to get things done you would otherwise have to burn vacation for. I would be tickled to have it. Beats the hell out of a M-F or the 6 day work week or on call schedules.

Hell yeah brother wanna work for a slave wage just go work a non-union job.

That's completely location dependant. Last 15 years I've been able to always work at above union wages and benefits.

Most around here have a real bad taste in their mouth from the unions, and will do anything and everything to avoid them and the politics that follow.

Go work. You may find you enjoy it. I've worked everything from 5-8's to 7-12's, 3 weeks on 1 off.
    I greatly prefer 4-10's or 4-12's, as 3 day weekends every week are great. All day Friday to run errands, run to the range while everyone else is working, etc.

I've been doing 5-10's to soak up the extra overtime while it's available. I still take at least 1 Friday off a month for that extra day of getting stuff done.

Worst case, you can keep looking for a job. You were looking when you found this one.

....and they wonder why we have trouble finding/keeping good people now days. I rage quit and retired after my former employer pulled this kind of shit on me.

Mark my words, this is a powerful indicator of how this gig will pan out.....you'll be ridden like a post horse and shucked the minute you fail their list of never ending hoop jumping.

VooDoo

I need the job, since I agreed on this, I quit my last job, which sucked big time.
    The other plant is 26 minutes more a day driving, which isnt bad, but the plant theyve hired me for is 5 miles away.

I just didnt want to get off on the wrong foot with upper management before I even start. Everyone has been super nice and awesome people, but like I said, the job application was and still says for "8 hour shifts" They told me they just changed this today with the hours.

Let me be blunt. They're going to fuck you over.

Keep looking for another job. If a better one turns up before you start, tell these people to pound sand. If not, keep looking as your work this new job. As soon as you find a better one, quit.

Let me be blunt. They're going to fuck you over.

Keep looking for another job. If a better one turns up before you start, tell these people to pound sand. If not, keep looking as your work this new job. As soon as you find a better one, quit.
    That's how I feel about this also, Ive got 2 buddies that I served with that work there and love it, but ive started out on a bad note with them, due to them.

Years ago I had a company who failed to tell me their work hours when I interviewed. When I showed up, they told me. Let's say, the job wasn't 8-5 and also required occasional double shifts and 3rd shift support - again, never mentioned. That was the first "white lie." Within 2 weeks (or less) I discovered that I was not going to be working on the program for which I was hired (That's happened 2x).

I could go on and on; but suffice it to say I've learned 2 things about companies, one of which was told to me by the first program director for whom I worked: 1) when interviewing, ALWAYS check the bathrooms out. If the bathrooms are filthy, dirty, that says pretty much what they think of the workstaff. 2) The first month of employment likely determines if an employee will stay at the company. By 2 months, it's solidified whether or not one will stay (These numbers are from a few articles I've read online here and there). If a company is messing with you BEFORE you even get there, then likely they'll continue messing with you afterwards.

@308pirate is spot on in his comment.

Years ago I had a company who failed to tell me their work hours when I interviewed. When I showed up, they told me. Let's say, the job wasn't 8-5 and also required occasional double shifts and 3rd shift support - again, never mentioned. That was the first "white lie." Within 2 weeks (or less) I discovered that I was not going to be working on the program for which I was hired (That's happened 2x).

I could go on and on; but suffice it to say I've learned 2 things about companies, one of which was told to me by the first program director for whom I worked: 1) when interviewing, ALWAYS check the bathrooms out. If the bathrooms are filthy, dirty, that says pretty much what they think of the workstaff. 2) The first month of employment likely determines if an employee will stay at the company. By 2 months, it's solidified whether or not one will stay (These numbers are from a few articles I've read online here and there). If a company is messing with you BEFORE you even get there, then likely they'll continue messing with you afterwards.

@308pirate is spot on in his comment.
    I went into this, assuming all would be awesome. Like I said, 2 guys I served with work for this city and have for a long time, and love it. When I interviewed, everyone was awesome, pay ended up being pretty good and then came the changes and the "oops, no one told you this earlier???" BS.

I need a job and I want to work, but just on principle, i really feel like telling them no thanks. Especially after I asked if I could work at the other plan that does 8 hours and just got the run around again. I hate to turn down income after not having any for a month, but hell, I can have my next few mortgage payments put off and keep looking for a job.

I went into this, assuming all would be awesome. Like I said, 2 guys I served with work for this city and have for a long time, and love it. When I interviewed, everyone was awesome, pay ended up being pretty good and then came the changes and the "oops, no one told you this earlier???" BS.

I need a job and I want to work, but just on principle, i really feel like telling them no thanks. Especially after I asked if I could work at the other plan that does 8 hours and just got the run around again. I hate to turn down income after not having any for a month, but hell, I can have my next few mortgage payments put off and keep looking for a job.
    So the issue is the schedule. If it were the “oops” then you wouldn’t have asked to go to the other plant. What is it about a 12 hr shift that is freaking you out?

You will have 78 more off days per year than a M-F 8 hour shift schedule. This is significant. Dream schedule if you ask me.

So the issue is the schedule. If it were the “oops” then you wouldn’t have asked to go to the other plant. What is it about a 12 hr shift that is freaking you out?

You will have 78 more off days per year than a M-F 8 hour shift schedule. This is significant. Dream schedule if you ask me.
    Thats the biggest issue, but added to a pile of other smaller forgetful issues.

I just dont prefer to work 12, I wouldnt have applied and quit my other job if I knew it was a 12 hour job.

Thats the biggest issue, but added to a pile of other smaller forgetful issues.

I just dont prefer to work 12, I wouldnt have applied and quit my other job if I knew it was a 12 hour job.
    I would work (3) 20 hour days if I could get the other 4 off. I do it now sometimes without the off days. 12 hours is gravy. People are different obviously. You would only be going in to work 182 days per year instead of 260 not counting vacation. Think about that my man.

You are sour about it so you may as well just pass on it like you mentioned.

Last edited:
    I would work (3) 20 hour days if I could get the other 4 off. I do it now sometimes without the off days. 12 hours is gravy. People are different obviously.
    Exactly and Im not bashing the schedule, I used to work 10-12 hour days, 5 days a week for years. I worked 14 hour shifts for years, I did more than that while in the military, but now, I'd just prefer to pull my 8 and go home to my family. I like the consistency of that. I always hated changing shifts and the differing days off, hard to adjust my sleep and messes with me.

Exactly and Im not bashing the schedule, I used to work 10-12 hour days, 5 days a week for years. I worked 14 hour shifts for years, I did more than that while in the military, but now, I'd just prefer to pull my 8 and go home to my family. I like the consistency of that. I always hated changing shifts and the differing days off, hard to adjust my sleep and messes with me.
    The day/night stuff would suck to have to do regularly. We short changed working offshore and it sucked. That is only once a month. Lol. The dupont schedule with rotating days and night has to suck although that full 7 days off once a month woukd be nice.

Edit to add: This is a gov job so considering that I hope you decline it. Be a better man than that.

Last edited: