• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New England Arms

Bwhntr53

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
Wasn't sure where to put this one. So if it needs to be moved go ahead and move it.
I was recently given a New England Arms firearm in .223 caliber. It has a serial number beginning with NT. It also has Handi Rifle stamped on it. It also has a stainless barrel. Any idea of the year it was manufactured and possibly the barrel twist? I have yet to have a chance to take it to the range yet. Thanks gun gurus.

what no pictures for people to look at no chance to drool over your gun if its nice .
does it look like either of these ?

Yes it does look like the one without the sights. Only problem is everyone will chew my butt out because it was given to me camouflaged. Nothing I can do about that except break it down and try to remove the camo paint on it. Any suggestions for removing the paint? I will post a picture of it.

I've had a few over the years, either New England Firearms or H & R. Same guns, the barrels would even interchange. My .223 was 1 in 12, but this link says they changed in 2006.

The only reason I could tell about the barrel is because there is a shiny place on the bottom of the barrel.

Attachments

• 20200824_140410.jpg
    20200824_140410.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200824_140524.jpg
    20200824_140524.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 93
I guess I can either try to clean it up or leave it camouflaged. Just can't wait to get it out to the range

Not picking on the OP but I am amazed at the number of people who ask "when was it made?"
Really not an issue to me in most cases.

Well, in this case production date may indicate the twist rate. The OP could also push a patch down the bore a and measure it that way.

Reactions: scatterbrains
Its usually just a curiosity. Its cool to know the history of your stuff.

For the barrel twist, you can check that with a cleaning rod and .223 jag/patch or brush.

Make sure the rod spins freely in the handle, then mark then start at the muzzle and push it down the bore. Make sure the brush or jag/patch fit fairly tight. Let the rod spin freely while pushing the rod through.

I like to make a little flag on the rod with tape so I can watch it spin around. Push until its spun 360 degrees, then measure how far down the barrel it went to do that spin. That will be your twist rate. 1 spin in 12 inches, for example, is 1:12.

Reactions: Bwhntr53
Not picking on the OP but I am amazed at the number of people who ask "when was it made?"
Really not an issue to me in most cases.
Mainly trying to see if I can find the twist rate. Don't really care about the year it was manufactured. Just throwing out a line.

Reactions: RTH1800
Its usually just a curiosity. Its cool to know the history of your stuff.

For the barrel twist, you can check that with a cleaning rod and .223 jag/patch or brush.

Make sure the rod spins freely in the handle, then mark then start at the muzzle and push it down the bore. Make sure the brush or jag/patch fit fairly tight. Let the rod spin freely while pushing the rod through.

I like to make a little flag on the rod with tape so I can watch it spin around. Push until its spun 360 degrees, then measure how far down the barrel it went to do that spin. That will be your twist rate. 1 spin in 12 inches, for example, is 1:12.
Thanks. That I will do.

C'mon let's do the twist. Everything I read spin twist does help in deciding bullet weight. I am not cheap but I don't have a lot of money to spend on several different boxes of ammo. More reading up for me on varieties of ammo weight for different rates of barrel twist. I do have an RCBS single die loader. I guess I am going to have to try my hand at reloading. I did years ago but was nervous about doing my own hand loading. Time for me to delve deeper into snipershide and pick some reloading gurus brains.
elvis-gif1.gif

Last edited:
Push a patch down it. I have one but can't remember the twist, shoots 50 grain Nosler b tips really good as long as it a slow load.

Ok. So I finally managed to get some .223 factory ammo so I shot a little bit this afternoon. A few of the primers got punched all the way through from the firing pin. Just a little bit of pressure sign on the head of the case. But it's hard to see that in the photos.
20200915_164556.jpg

If you’re piercing primers, you may well have more than “just a little bit of pressure...”

If you’re piercing primers, you may well have more than “just a little bit of pressure...”
Can you please explain? I started doing some reading that it could be the firing pin.

Last edited:
Can you please explain?

Pertinent section...

pierced Primers
If your firearm is in good condition, you should never see a pierced primer on a fired case. This pressure sign in particular is unmistakable: If the primer is pierced where the firing pin hit it, the pressure was too high. If you experience a pierced primer, stop firing the rounds immediately. This problem is more than a minor inconvenience; it can cause serious damage to the firearm. When a primer blows out, a high pressure jet of super-heated gas blasts out of the hole. This can cause erosion of the firing pin, breech face, or any other part of the gun that gets in the way. After piercing a primer, you should have your firearm inspected by a qualified gunsmith before firing it again with any kind of ammo.

Pertinent section...

pierced Primers
If your firearm is in good condition, you should never see a pierced primer on a fired case. This pressure sign in particular is unmistakable: If the primer is pierced where the firing pin hit it, the pressure was too high. If you experience a pierced primer, stop firing the rounds immediately. This problem is more than a minor inconvenience; it can cause serious damage to the firearm. When a primer blows out, a high pressure jet of super-heated gas blasts out of the hole. This can cause erosion of the firing pin, breech face, or any other part of the gun that gets in the way. After piercing a primer, you should have your firearm inspected by a qualified gunsmith before firing it again with any kind of ammo.
Thanks.

I bought 5 boxes of these.

Pertinent section...

pierced Primers
I bought 5 boxes of this same ammo. I am not going to be firing any more of these. I do have 2 boxes of Hornady 55 gr vmax that I am am going to shoot just a few rounds just see what happens. 1 round at a time.
Thanks again

I am so glad that I found this website. So many with so much knowledge.

My uncle had a 223 handi rifle (same as the NEF, different merchant mark), that he wanted me to sight in for him. I shot a few rounds and every one pushed the primer back out of the case enough to notice, and the cases would not extract. Factory ammunition. I gave it back to him without finishing the sight in.

I have fond memories of the NEF single shot break action .410 that was my first shotgun. But, the 223 left a bad taste in my mouth for the rifle.

My uncle had a 223 handi rifle (same as the NEF, different merchant mark), that he wanted me to sight in for him. I shot a few rounds and every one pushed the primer back out of the case enough to notice, and the cases would not extract. Factory ammunition. I gave it back to him without finishing the sight in.

I have fond memories of the NEF single shot break action .410 that was my first shotgun. But, the 223 left a bad taste in my mouth for the rifle.
I agree. I have never had a rifle punch the primers like this. If this rifle does the same thing after only a few shots. But it could take several to see if it punches the primer again. It will just go to the back of the safe with a red tag on it. I can not bring myself to sell any of my firearms. It will just have to sit. Many thanks again.

Handi-Rifles have been around forever and are a favorite at pawn shops and hole-in-the-wall gun shops come deer season. They will absolutely knock the hell out of your shoulder in the larger calibers, but I’ve never seen one damage primers like you’re describing.

Decock the bolt and check whether the firing pin tip is rounded. Apparently there are a few floating around with squared edges, which will pierce primers much more readily.

Factory ammo should never have pressure signs in a factory chamber - it’s a massive liability on the part of the ammo manufacturer to over-pressure, and the rifle manufacturer to deviate from SAAMI/CIP spec.

I agree with examining the firing pin. With factory ammo it's not likely pressure. I had a double barrel shotgun that one barrel pierced primers. Somehow a small piece had chipped off of the firing pin leaving a sharp edge. A minute with a file fixed it.

Ok. Looked at the firing pin. Nothing chipped. For those of you who do have a handi. How much does the firing pin on your firearm protrude? Looking at mine it just looks a little bit to far out. Hard to measure but looks to be a 1/16" or so. Since I have not had this rifle long this is my first time to get to shoot it. So if the firing pin is protruding out too much maybe a gun vise and some careful work with a file may fix it?

Last edited:

Not sure it's worth spending money on, but looks easy enough to fabricate.

Not sure it's worth spending money on, but looks easy enough to fabricate.
I really like this rifle. Even though it was punching holes in the primers while I was shooting it (should have been looking at the cases closer 🤦‍♂️) the shots pretty much touching at 25 yards. So I am leaning on getting this.

That frontier ammo is known for being hot and some lots have blown up guns. I like it tho. Hot and accurate.

Those rifles are generally pretty accurate also. Have a 20ga heavy barrel one for dear hunting and it is sub 1”at 100 when you find the ammo it likes.

I just had a brainstorm from the past. Feeler gauges. Some of you older brethren will know exactly what I am talking about. You young brethren too. I will use feeler gauges and my micrometer to measure the firing pin. Should be able to get pretty close. I have some measurements to check by.