• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Eye Candy

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
It's been a while since I posted any new eye candy, enjoy. This rifle was built for SurgeonShooter here on the Hide

Bartlien MTU w/6 Heavy Flutes 1-11 .299"/.308"
Chambered in 1995 Palma, Finished at 22"
Threaded 5/8x24 w/Blended Cap
Surgeon 591 Repeater
All Metal in OD Green
Jewell HVR Trigger
McMillan A5 w/adj. cheek
Spacer System
Pillar Bedded in Devcon 10110
Badger M5 w/1-5 & 1-10 rd. mag.
Badger Rings for S&B

1y8ec1.jpg

of24nk.jpg

20pu0xh.jpg

11llhtf.jpg

2dgs2o3.jpg

Re: New Eye Candy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you photo shop out the seam?</div></div>

Yea, you caught me
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait for my new little 223AI to get done.
smile.gif

And once again great work!

L. </div></div>

Chambered and fitted it today. Waiting for a 1/2x28 Class 2A gauge and several bushings befor I do your muzzle threading and cap. Should be here by Friday. This tight bore requires .2174" to .2178" bushings to dial the muzzle in with, .2180" worked fine on the breech but a no go for the muzzle.

what size bushing did you end up using on the .299 bore, if you remember. my smallest bushing was .2992 and i have a .2990, .2988 and a .2986 on order. hopefully that covers it.

If i can scrape the cash together again
i have allready decided to have you
build my next rifle. Nice work once again.

Ryno

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what size bushing did you end up using on the .299 bore, if you remember. my smallest bushing was .2992 and i have a .2990, .2988 and a .2986 on order. hopefully that covers it. </div></div>

.2988" to start with and ended up with .2986"

3287.jpg

If you want the best then wnroscoe is the man. I just got this back from William and I couldn't be happier. The attention to detail is unmatched.

Daaaaang! It looks good Roscoe, I appreciate the exellent job man. I ready to shoot that bad bay, as soon as I do I'll post pics of the groups.

Thanks for the good comments guys

Jay

Roy?? You may not be able to remember my name but damn you can build a sweet rifle! Hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roy?? You may not be able to remember my name but damn you can build a sweet rifle! Hahaha </div></div>

Not you fool, Roy Adair in TN. aka "centerfire1"

Your name is Jarred

is that 75/35 on the stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that 75/35 on the stock? </div></div>

Not sure, it came from JW Precision.

Haha ok, no it's 75% o.d. 25% black and yes it came from jw precision. He is a great guy to deal with also, I ordered it on like a Friday so I didn't expect it to come in until like the next Friday but Monday eavenin it was at the house. Great guy and fast shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!! Range report soon?? </div></div>

I'm sure we'll hear from SS soon. When he picks it up, he'll beat a path to the loading bench and then range.

Range report will be in about a week and a half! I'm gonna try smk's, Berger vld's and I use a max's for deer hunting so I'll try those also. I've got some of that banchmark powder that I'll prolly too.but varget is my favorite. ;-)

well i swung by roscoe's place yesterday and got my stick and it looks way better in person! Here it is with some glass on it.If the rain stops today im going to shoot it and try some loads out.
DSCF2164.jpg
DSCF2163.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta love that thread protector job. What, did you photo shop out the seam? Nice! </div></div>
He sure did! I was scrolling through the photos and when I looked at the muzzle and crown of photo #4, I had to stop and look more closely. While there is an obvious gap between the thread protector and the OD of the barrel for a second I thought <span style="font-style: italic">"Hey, whats' going on here, wheres' the seam for the barrel-to-thread protector"?</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Photo #4</span>
11llhtf.jpg

Then I looked at scrolled back to photo #3 and I realized that both photos were of the same barrel, but that photo #3 was taken with the thread protector partially unthreaded.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Photo #3:</span>
20pu0xh.jpg

Keith

Great looking rifle Mr. Roscoe - I'll bet it shoots great! I wonder - do you always paint the barrel and thread protector the same color? And if you do, do you ever have customers call back after picking up their rifle to tell you that you forgot to thread their barrel?

I just ask this because Mike Rescigno has this happen sometimes when the client has requested that the barrel and thread protector be the same color instead of alternating the Green-T and Black-T.

My complements to you and Surgeon-Shooter on your beautiful rifle!

Keith

They know it's threaded because I photograph them just like SS rifle. I want them to know it's threaded with a cap but I also want them to know I did a good job blending it all together.

No photo shop here boyz, just trying to do the best I can
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They know it's threaded because I photograph them just like SS rifle. I want them to know it's threaded with a cap but I also want them to know I did a good job blending it all together.

<span style="font-weight: bold">No photo shop here boyz, just trying to do the best I can</span>
wink.gif
</div></div>
No Photoshop? Then indeed that is a very close fit that doesn't even show up in photos! Again, my complements!

Keith

Well guys I went and shot this beast a minute ago and tried 43.5 varget, 175 smk, federal match primer and hornady match brass. I got .4's and .5's out of that and that's the first load developed! When the lapua brass and the Berger vld's come in I'm expecting way better results, meanwhile I'll be tightening up the load I have now. This thing is the Cadillac setup as far as length and weight for me, no recoil but yet it's not all that heavy either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Centerfire1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3287.jpg

If you want the best then wnroscoe is the man. I just got this back from William and I couldn't be happier. The attention to detail is unmatched. </div></div>

specs on this bad boy to please !
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No photo shop here boyz, just trying to do the best I can
wink.gif
</div></div>

It's a shame that there are people in the world that WOULD photoshop that sort of thing and put the question in peoples mind. Must suck to do that level of work and have people question it... the world we live in.

Great work.

John

When a Thread Cap or Muzzle Brake is installed I do so by indicating in by the bore. After it's installed, I redial the barrel in by the OD of the barrel. This lets me start to blend the brake or cap. The first blending cuts are made with the carriage feeding towards the chuck. I change tools and the last cuts are made with the carriage feeding away from the chuck. The very last cut is made at 800rpm and a feed rate of about .0015" to .0005" per revolution. I crank the cross feed in very slowly during the last few cuts until I actually skim the barrel slightly, that is the last cut I make. I then polish with 240 grit until the seam is gone, I then polish with 320 grit. Seamless is the final result. Ask Surgeon Shooter, it truly is seamless in person……………no photo shop but, I'll take that as a compliment, thanks
wink.gif

If there wasn't a coating on my rifle, I don't care if you have a magnifying glass you couldn't see the seam. Even with the coating you have to basicly rub your eye ball on it to see the seam! Put it this way, I went to the range today and the local gun shop and ofcourse every body wanted to look at it. Every body that did I told the to check out that crown job and not one person out of about 25 people saw the seam until I loosened it up, they were amazed! Hahaha I loved it!

WNroscoe...someone else asked this but I didn't see your answer...did you flute the barrel or did you order it that way? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WNroscoe...someone else asked this but I didn't see your answer...did you flute the barrel or did you order it that way? Thanks. </div></div>

It came that way from Bartlien.

Not being able to see the seem tells me the mating shoulders are dead nuts square
wink.gif

I'm a toolmaker and when I get around to having a rifle built it's going to Louisiana. It's not worth it for me to buy the tools and make the fixtures. Especially after seeing wnrosoe's work.

Actually I couldn't find a barrel and I didn't want to wait 8 months for a rock, bartlien, ext. So I called surgeon to see if he would sell me a krieger, we all know they have an ass load of them, and they said no! I paid 5,050 bucks for a remedy and he didn't appreciate that enuff to sell me one of the barrels that had laying around. I don't know but that seemed kinda sorry to me. So I called gap and told them what happened and he said he would hook me up since surgeon wouldn't! So GAP saved my life basicly, if it wasn't for thier great customer service then I wouldn't have a rifle. GAP gets all my future buisness for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually I couldn't find a barrel and I didn't want to wait 8 months for a rock, bartlien, ext. So I called surgeon to see if he would sell me a krieger, we all know they have an ass load of them, and they said no! I paid 5,050 bucks for a remedy and he didn't appreciate that enuff to sell me one of the barrels that had laying around. I don't know but that seemed kinda sorry to me. So I called gap and told them what happened and he said he would hook me up since surgeon wouldn't! So GAP saved my life basicly, if it wasn't for thier great customer service then I wouldn't have a rifle. GAP gets all my future buisness for that.</div></div>

you are upset because Surgeon wouldn't take a barrel that was for someone else's rig and sell it to you?????? That don't make sense to me. I have been to Surgeon Rifles and the guys are all top notch, including Preston.