• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Favorite Toy (300 Whisper)

ohiogunnut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2008
Ohio, USA
Got all of the kinks worked out and topped it off with a NV optic which just happens to work quite well in sunlight. I included a video of the SCAR-H from today (courtesy hide member JAHamilton) to give an idea of the level of suppression with this cartridge. The "tink" heard when firing the whisper is from the brass hitting the rim of the brass catcher. Couldn't be happier!

Rifle Specs:
16" Noveske 1:8, pistol gas system, Rock River upper/lower with M4 feedramps, VTAC handguard, VLTOR bipod and EMOD stock, Troy BUIS, Pulsar N550 Digisight, Larue LT101 QD mount, Youngs Mfg NM chrome BCG, PRI gas buster charging handle, KNS anti-walk pins, Sierra Precision grip, SAS 30 cal stainless suppressor.

Load:
2.2600 OAL, 220 SMK, LC brass modified to 300whisper (Kyle Kelly), CCI primer, and 11.0gr A1680 resulting in 1043fps. Gun needed NO modifications with this load (spring/buffer), and cycled 100% with bolt locking back on an empty mag. Accuracy is acceptable at 1.2"@100yrds given the range of the round.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PdQmFpAfGBU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PdQmFpAfGBU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQrJqmefwuI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQrJqmefwuI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: New Favorite Toy (300 Whisper)

nice, hope to have mine finished in two weeks. Went with the noveske 10.5" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas_Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice, hope to have mine finished in two weeks. Went with the noveske 10.5" barrel. </div></div>

I have a 12.5" that I have to wring out a little.

What did you do for a gas system?

I'm going to give the original pistol gas system a go and see what happens. I only plan on shooting subsonic suppressed with this gun.

Sweet setup. I have a 10.5" Noveske .300 Whisper(Fireball) barrel that will get a build here someday. I have a SWR Trident can that will due multiple duty including use for some subsonic .300 Whisper rounds.

Cool! I just recently got my 300/221 whisper up and running with my SAS Ti Arbiter 30 cal suppressor. Same Noveske bbl as you. I found the same exact level of accuracy out of the 220 SMK's. (Crazy!) I also tried 208 AMAX's and they weren't as accurate and none of my 208 AMAX loads would lock back the bolt on an empty mag.

220 SMK's locked back even with a super slow load. Part of me wonders if my chronograph is borked since I got all sorts of weird data.

8gr of Lil' Gun with the 220 SMK and winchester SR primers resulted in right around 700ft/s. Same load with CCI SR magnum primers resulted in 950ft/s. (weird huh?)

8gr of Lil' Gun with the 208 AMAX and winchester SR primers resulted in around 1015ft/s. Same load with CCI SR magnum primers was around 1050ft/s.

Here's where it got really odd. 8.4gr of Lil' gun and the AMAX's with win SR primers showed around 1600ft/s. And 8.8gr of Lil' Gun showed around 2000ft/s with the AMAX's. I didn't hear anything supersonic, so my guess is was my chronograph being weird. Low battery maybe?

I'll probably just stick to 220gr SMK's and work more loads up with a new battery in my chronograph. I'd like to get a load that is right at 1k ft/s.

300_Whisper_NF.jpg

Thats a nice setup.

Just curious, in the video with the night vision. is there a difference int he camera or the load between the first and second strings? The 2nd seems noticably louder?

Is .300 Whisper a viable setup if you do not reload?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is .300 Whisper a viable setup if you do not reload? </div></div>

I might also add that the Corbon ammo did NOT cycle my gun 100%, so yes, you have to reload and tune it to your gun.

Regarding the noise in the video, I have no idea why the difference. It is about as quiet as you can get and the noise is the action cycling. If you want movie quiet, you have to go bolt.

nice set up!

Trying to find the right load for mine now that I have a can on it. Might have to go back down to 11g instead of 11.8 of the 1680.

What kind of daytime optic does everyone think is best for this cartridge? (220 sub sonic) Thinking I should have gone with a dot or lower power scope. Currently using 3.5x10 Leupold

Salmonaxe,

Is that a Noveske KX3 muzzle brake in the picture?

Did it do much to reduce the blast? Used one on any other calibers (like 5.56)?

What's your evaluation?

Thanks,

Lefty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Boz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What kind of daytime optic does everyone think is best for this cartridge? (220 sub sonic) Thinking I should have gone with a dot or lower power scope. Currently using 3.5x10 Leupold </div></div>

I went with a MK4 1.5-5 in a Larue Mount. Both optics are on throw levers so I can swap them out and the 1.5-5 seemed appropriate given the limited range of the round. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic.

300Whisper.jpg

I put the 3.5x10 on there because I read that this was a 400 yard sub cartridge. But with the incredible drop I have only gon out to 200 with it. What about a pro point or somthing for up close in conjuction with the scope?

did not see that, at first glance. I think that is what I might do. How do you like it?
005.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Boz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did not see that, at first glance. I think that is what I might do. How do you like it?
</div></div>

Your build is strangely familiar.
wink.gif
The MRD is overkill for what I use the gun for (groundhogs,etc), but the red dot is faster than the scope at 25-50 yards, especially if I have it dialed up to 5x.

I find it amazing how much quieter a sound suppressor is on video than it is in real life. All these videos you see on YouTube do not reflect accurately on how suppressed rifles REALLY sound.

Nice rifles, BTW. I'm considering an SPR Mk12 mod 1 build in 300 Whisper.

My gun and I think it's pretty damn quite for a semi (no muffs required).