• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater New film D-9

11b30b4

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
So I am watching SciFi Or as it is now called SyFy (god help up) anyway this PSA for aliens comes on. The PSA is a commercial for a new film called District 9. Link is www.D-9.com looks funny but may end up being a dead flick. Worth the check out on the site.

Re: New film D-9

The trailers on youtube dont look too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=district+9&search_type=&aq=f

some Galil goodness in a few of them.
smile.gif

"...Keeping humans safe by keeping non-humans separate." Sounds like another P.C. touchy-feely "can't we all get along?" P.O.S. to me. But then again, I'm in a bad mood anyway.

This is a pretty slick film. It all started when a visual effects artist made his own short film and it got a lot of attention in the film world...leading to a feature film deal. Not a bad situation one bit!

That's funny...oh wait, you're serious?

Looks good to me. I dont buy into the subliminal bs. Too many people look for hidden meanings/agendas in films....i.e. Shoot Em Up, some say it was all about gun control...I saw a bunch of un-realistic, but cool to watch gun play. Don't read too much into it, its just entertainment created for you to make money for them.

Peter Jackson (<span style="font-style: italic">Lord of the Rings</span>) is directing this one. I don't associate his name with bummer flicks. The trailers sorta suggest a <span style="font-style: italic">Transformers/Independence Day</span> theme with some elements from other flicks involving the central idea of stranded aliens.

I say to heck with the social relevance criticism and pass the popcorn.

I think all the sensationalizing of this movie as if it's got some political or racist hidden meanings based off the trailer is funny.

Is it really a stretch to consider that humans would react like this given the situation?

I'll go see this one in theaters.

Considering the film maker grew up in South Africa, and saw Apartheid first hand as a child, I wouldn't say he's trying to subliminally make a statement.
He's relating his life experience through a science fiction film which appeals to a broader audience.

It looks pretty good.
I plan on seeing it.

Just got back from District 9. Great flick, well worth the money and time, and certainly not the usual alien-type movie. I will be buying this when it comes out. Filmed in a documentary-style, it is interesting to see what happens when the aliens show up here, and never leave or do anything. Also, look for some very intriguing human-like behavior outta the aliens.

Go see it. You won't be bored!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's funny...oh wait, you're serious? </div></div>

THAT's funny!

I saw D-9 the other night.
My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Great action, great story and not smothered in CGI.
The CGI was not a centerpiece like most other Sci-Fi effects movies.
You guys will love the alien weaponry and the guest appearance by of a Mechem NTW-20.

Movie sucked. Special effects were great but the people in the movie were so lame I wanted them dead immediately. Here's an idea. Make a movie with a good story and characters that don't piss you off. They owe me $9.50

My wife hated it, almost got up and left 3 times. I didn't hate it but can't recommend it either. Disturbing, if I had to some it up in one word. Reminded me of P dog shooting, vaporized targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peter Jackson (<span style="font-style: italic">Lord of the Rings</span>) is directing this one. I don't associate his name with bummer flicks. </div></div>

FYI, Peter Jackson did not direct "District 9" - he's listed as "Peter Jackson Presents" which in a way is him either being an executive producer (doing little other than to give the production some commercial credibility) or more likely someone who endorses the film for the same reason.

Dogtown;

Well, Ibedamned, you're right. I drank the Kool-Aide. Thanks for the correction.

Greg

Lots of people here say it sucked, but i really liked it. Wasnt what i was expecting so it was a nice surprise. Interesting story if anything.

So the trailers on TV suggest (to me) something along the lines of <span style="font-style: italic">Transformers/Independence Day</span>, except the aliens are neither hostile nor invincible, but rather, shipwrecked, segregated, and dominated.

Close?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the trailers on TV suggest (to me) something along the lines of <span style="font-style: italic">Transformers/Independence Day</span>, except the aliens are neither hostile nor invincible, but rather, shipwrecked, segregated, and dominated.

Close? </div></div>

Close, yes. I saw it Wednesday, its one of those movies that takes a while to grow on you. The character roles were a little cheesy. The story line was good.

Greg, it would make a good rental or dollar theater ticket, but I would not go spending big money on it.

Thanks, it'll make a decent addition to my DVD collection, after the initial prices come down to a breathable altitude.

Saw it last night. I don't get some of the negative reviews here. Some movies are based on life experiences that attempt to translate into entertainment, what exactly were the expectations going into this type of movie? I left feeling very satisfied even though the first half hour had me wondering a little. It stands at the top of the science fiction genre, believe me there are far worse movies out there. I will surely add it to the dvd collection.

Saw it this morning. Was an interesting movie. Some good gun action. A little predictable, but was decent. Would recommend seeing it.

CWJ

Not at all, the effects are as good as anything I've seen. No Oscar winning actors, but I certainly wouldn't say performances were lacking in any way.

I thought this was a fun movie. The special effects were nicely done, not over the top, the plot wasn't anything particularly new, but they did a really good job of setting up who the bad guys are, with a solid action ending.

It's not going to win any awards, nor cause an epiphany with the movie goer, just a fun flick.

Was GI Joe better?

D9 left me with a bad feeling for a few days. I am kinds tired of the human race constantly being the bad guy in the PC BS.

good things could have happened in this movie and it could have been a LOT better.

Yea Yea as a race we suck I get it already.

I watched Terminator the day before and was not all that impressed either... Same thing. We end up being our own worst enemy. Alright already. ..... How about a movie where we get past our shortcomings and get one with it.

And The anti gun BS drives me NUTS.. HBO has almost lost me to bad they have such good shows. Otherwise I would drop their anti gun channel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got back from District 9. Great flick, well worth the money and time, and certainly not the usual alien-type movie. I will be buying this when it comes out. Filmed in a documentary-style, it is interesting to see what happens when the aliens show up here, and never leave or do anything. Also, look for some very intriguing human-like behavior outta the aliens.

Go see it. You won't be bored! </div></div>

+1

PP out

I hated it.
The movies Message: Humans are either ignorant or bigoted, racist, haters (anti-alien) etc.
OR
Don't judge someone/something (Alien/Prawn)unless you've
walked(?) a mile in his/it's shoes/exoskeleton...even a
repulsive disgusting alien.

My Message: Avoid it or wait to rent unless you are mad at your
Money.

I thought it was really good! It scored extra points for being a little different than usual. I liked that they didnt really care about being PC!!!

I think some of you guys get WAAAY to sidtracked with the underlying speach or thought police worries. If you watch it for what it is, entertainment, its really good.

I personally though it was a great movie...very entertaining and realistic....humans are very sugestive and have a very large tendancy to be bigots and racists.....maybe if movie makers point it out to the general public they might see the err of their ways? Being a Sci-fi movie I can see it actually happening.....How many times in human history have people picked a race or country of people to dispise? For no real apparent reason?

Sorry to get philosphical there but I feel it was a good movie and had a good message.

Casey, I was tempted to leave after the first half hour, but gutted it out... the ending was redeeming.

Not a comfortable movie to watch, you aren't supposed to like the protagonist, but you do root for his (and humanity's?) attempt to make up for past wrongs in the end.

Definitely not for everyone, it is NOT Independence Day or Transformers. But as true Sci-fi flicks go, not bad.

Not what I expected. Kind of disapointing. The wife and daughter weren't to excited about it either. Should have waited until the DVD came out.

i thought it was pretty good. I was entertained, but of course, I didnt walk into it as it was some kind of propaganda film. I mean....it IS, but come on, you get out of it what you put into it, so all yall that went into it with your hangups, you didnt get your money's worth.
I liked how the alien weapons made the people blow up like PDs...that was cool.

It was OK, but the plot seemed flawed to me.
The ship was apparently derelict on Earth 20 years prior. OK fine.

But then, they scrounge around and find this black juice, salvaged from the ship, that can power the damned thing and get it home again.

Well the obvious question I suppose is, why didn't the alien fuckers simply scrounge up that juice before they needed it?

Cool weaponry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was OK, but the plot seemed flawed to me.

But then, they scrounge around and find this black juice, salvaged from the ship, that can power the damned thing and get it home again.

Well the obvious question I suppose is, why didn't the alien fuckers simply scrounge up that juice before they needed it?

Cool weaponry. </div></div>

My understanding of that was it "Took" them 20 years to find that amount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was OK, but the plot seemed flawed to me.

Well the obvious question I suppose is, why didn't the alien fuckers simply scrounge up that juice before they needed it? </div></div>

Like the post above states, it took twenty years to produce the amount needed. And they're not alien fuckers, they're "fookin' prawns".

I liked this flick a lot. A co-worker with whom we saw the movie quipped "It's like 'The Office' meets 'Hotel Rwanda'..."

It was funny and dramatic and very well done. Ten times better than wasting your money on moronic, plotless flicks like GI Joe and Transformers.

I liked it. I went in not knowing anything about it. Not what I was expecting, the way the story was told. I think that's why I liked it, something different.