• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision New FLIR Boson+ with <20 mK Sensitivity

I wasn’t aware of the regular BOSON units. What are they used for and cost?

I thought I'd read somewhere the TigIR was a flir boson but couldn't confirm it with a quick search. Would be interesting to see how they stack up to the BAE and iray.

I thought I'd read somewhere the TigIR was a flir boson but couldn't confirm it with a quick search. Would be interesting to see how they stack up to the BAE and iray.
The Tig IR is a 640 x 512 Boson per my understanding. However, the lack of a manual focus ultimately detracts from an otherwise really nice unit.

A fixed focus is ok on a lower power wider FOV shorter range thermal. On a longer range thermal a manual focus makes a substantial difference.

Would be interesting to see how they stack up to the BAE and iray.
Well Down Range Thermal (Daniel) reported recently that he compared the Triji 250 XR (60 mm Lens) (one of their best) up against a Flir PTS 736 (75 mm Lens) at around 2,000 yards if I remember the distance correctly and he said he could see more detail with the PTS 736.

So the Triji BAE Core is 640 x 480 and the PTS 736 is running a Boson 320 x 256. I have a friend that has the Triji Hunter 60 mm big bad boy and I can also report that the PTS 736 shows more detail at longer distance.

BLM for the win. BIG LENS MATTERS. :LOL:

If I have to do the long range thang, here is what I do it with. Put the thing on the thing and pull the dam thing.

Flat shooting 270 Win with PTS 736.
1649288482318.png

Something I was wondering about was how this works in regards to magnifiers. Is a device limited by it's stock lens size? In something like the nox 18 or rh25 are you going to see results going from a 3x52 to say a 3x75 or is there a point of diminishing returns because of the small factory lense.

Something I was wondering about was how this works in regards to magnifiers. Is a device limited by it's stock lens size? In something like the nox 18 or rh25 are you going to see results going from a 3x52 to say a 3x75 or is there a point of diminishing returns because of the small factory lense.
Well I am not an expert by any means, but the 3x Germanium magnifier will increase your native magnification by a factor of 3 so for a (Nox18 at1X native) up to a new native 3X. You will really be impressed with the NOX 18 then. I run 62 mm magnifiers on Flir PTS 233's that have a 19 mm fixed focus lens and it turns them into much more powerful thermal at distance.

I have a buddy who has a Triji IR Patrol 300 that got Dr. Volfson at Torrey Pine Logic to make him a 62mm 3X magnifier for his. Turned it into a much more powerful unit whereby he could PID critters at 3 times or more the previous distance.

You would have to consult with someone like Dr. Volfson to get more particulars on exactly what is the maximum size magnifier (focal length etc) you could put on the NOX 18, but I feel pretty confident saying it can handle a 62mm 3x perfectly.

I think they said the 3x is going to be 52mm so easily inside the parameters on your flirs. They're a little spendy so I'm just getting one to share between the noxs. Hopefully I won't regret that decision.

I think they said the 3x is going to be 52mm so easily inside the parameters on your flirs. They're a little spendy so I'm just getting one to share between the noxs. Hopefully I won't regret that decision.
I doubt seriously you will regret getting it. Point being is that even as the years go by and various small thermals (head mounted etc) continue to evolve, having a Germanium 3 X magnifier in your "toolbox" is always a great thing because you can always put it in a pouch and hand hold it up to a small unit and boost the crap out of its performance. Say FPA pixels get down to 7 microns and even smaller device native lens, that big ole chunk of Germanium in front of it will boost its DRI range significantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenMushroom