• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New forumer catch-all post, need recommendations

DukeRustfield

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
First post, marathon post. I've been a lurker for some time, mostly viewing the for sale and using that to springboard research into other guns.

I'm investigating a rifle for myself. I had previously been leaning towards a M14 in JAE stock, but I've come to believe the gun system is just too dirty for my tastes and just too complex when it comes to laying the blame on bad shooting. (It should always be me, without question.)

Further, a solid bolt will likely outshoot it any day. So...

-What I would like is a bolt with capability of being used as a hunter or target shooter. Extreme range isn't such a concern.
-Optimally I'd like the ability to have iron sights and optics, though that seems rare and I'll settle for optics.
-I despise the concept of epoxy bedding as it strikes me as so low tech. Must have the capability of a pure pillar bedded stock. Any stock input is definately welcome.
-I'd like a gun that is easy to maintain. I don't want to have to become a brand zealot with 30 custom tools just to keep it operational. I'm an old shotgun guy, FYI.
-It would be fantastic if 20 years from now my gun is worth significantly more than it's inflation-adjusted value.
-Bipod probably isn't necessary.
-.308 is probably my fav round and can work at most ranges or for hunting
-I'm a tall guy so I don't like the feel of a rifle crowding up on me.
-Cost isn't much of an object so you can always get silly on recommendations as it's a good place to look just to see what's out there.

I know this is a lot of stuff to blurt out first post. I've read this and other forums quite a bit and done a lot of research on guns. I'm familiar with the big boys and have handled (though not shot) Remington 700 family, AI, GAP, Sako, etc.

Thanks thanks thanks for any responses.

Re: New forumer catch-all post, need recommendations

How patient are you? Need a package rifle you can get in weeks or are you okay with waiting 6-9 months so you can order all the parts to fit your wants?

I suggest the Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in .308 for $854 list. Compact, accurate, 7 pounds w/o optics and mounts; its 20" barrel should get you to or nearly to 1000yd with good ammunition. It has possibly the best bedding system in the industry, a great trigger, and a detachable box magazine which is upgradable to hold 9. I recommend Burris Signature Zee mounts and suggest this as a modest starter scope. If you absolutely must operate without magnification, I suggest a modest dot scope as a sighting system. It's far quicker and is an instictive improvement over a two part sighting system.

Greg

I've spent like 4 months researching M14s that I won't buy. I don't need a gun, I'm just starting my research phase.

I'm slow. I'd heard about the dot scopes, never used one (total noobie on optics). Seems like a good idea. Some of the urban ranges are really really short distances. I got to imagine even some of the 10x mags and you're just looking at solid black.

The dot scope is a form of reflex sight based at least in part on the WWII fighter plane gunsights and similar to some of the simpler features of the Heads Up Display on modern fighter jets. If you know what a beam splitter is and how it works, you're dealing with key principle employed by the reflex sight.

While it's impossible to say there is no optical distortion involved, basically as long as the dot is superimposed on the desired POI when the sear trips, that's where the round is gonna go, whether or not the dot is centered in the scope tube.

My technique is to observe the target with both eyes and bring the dot (and firearm) up to the desired POI. For me, it is the only method where I can instictively use both eyes.

I find they are most useful for handguns, shotguns, and short distance hunting with the carbine; especially when dealing with moving targets and short windows of opportunity.

For opportunities providing longer distances, less movement, and more time; the conventional telescopic sight serves me far better. For hunting, I prefer something in the 3X-9X variable magnification range, and for Long Range target and varmint shooting I use 6X-24X magnification variables.

Trying to anticipate gun values 20 years down the road is not so easy, and maybe not so fruitful, an occupation. It's my personal opinion that the less a firearm is customized, the quicker it will find a buyer, regardless of the numbers involved. Folks who are looking for custom rifle are also kinda picky. It's probably a good thing that you're not in any rush, whether you 'need' a rifle or not. For the most part, a newguy is going to be better served by a simpler, more basic firearm; chambered in a widely available caliber. KISS; and when the time comes to try something more specialized, the old friend still works or liquidates more easily. Whatever you end up with, treat it with the respect and care a good investment deserves, and take the time to earn its ways inside and out. It's a matter of personal pride.

Greg

Buy LVMike's AI308 or a TRG-22 and start shooting.

I'm not all that enthused with custom R700's anymore. They're OK.

Or if you want to get even fancier get a Tubb T2K.It's the most adaptable to irons.

Start off with a mil/mil scope and you will be set.

Steve

Sorry to beat the dead horse but I would look into a 700P, SWFA SS 3-9HD then rings and base of your liking. Your looking at about $1400 and then you can start shooting. I have owned a 700P for a while now and if you do your part they are great shooting rifles. As for you being tall, I am also tall. 6'4 to be exact and the HS stock on the 700P is decent, fits me better in the prone.

The reason why I said to look at the SWFA SS because it will take somtime to really figure out what you want in a scope, and from what I have read and also have seen reviews on them they seem to be a good start.

But!......If money is a non issue just look into a custom build an high end optics because in about a year you will crave for them Hahaha

But this is just my opinion.

GG