• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New, from Beanland

KaiserNorton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Here are a few pics of my first full custom, built by Jon Beanland. Please excuse the quality of these photos - Jon is a much better gunsmith than I am a photographer.

Almost all the parts were purchased out of the classifieds of the various shooting/hunting boards that I am a member, except for Snipers Hide - I was too junior of a member to purchase anything here at that time. I did find my first references to Jon's services here, and perusing the recommendations of those persons helped greatly in making my choice of Jon as the guy to do the work - as well as their inclusion of photo's of Jon's work. The rifles shown looked "right" - Thanks, guys!

I sent these parts to Jon:
- Pierce Engineering action, with their 20 MOA rail, Jewell HVR trigger, and their recoil lug.
- McMillan HTG in woodland camo, adjustable comb, sniperfill, Remington 700 inlet, BDL bottom metal inlet, two flushcups (left side), one stud upfront
- Bartlien medium palma contour blank, 6mm caliber, 1-7.5 twist.
- one very used set of BDL bottom metal, virtually devoid of finish.
- New factory remington magazine box and Forster screw set for a BDL, purchased from Midway.

Out of all these parts, Jon did not use the Pierce recoil lug, as he said it wasn't flat from side to side, and he replaced the Forster screws with some hex-headed ones of the proper length for my action's needs. The Pierce action came Cerakoted black, and John had to try and match that finish with his own - I find it difficult to tell.

Here is what he returned to me:

Beanland_HTG_001.jpg

Beanland_HTG_002.jpg

Beanland_HTG_003.jpg

Beanland_HTG_014.jpg

Beanland_HTG_012.jpg

Beanland_HTG_011.jpg

The rifle is chambered in 6x47 Lapua, with a reamer set up for the 105gr bullets (I have 1200 Bergers in the basement). The barrel is finished at 28 inches. And I am VERY aware that the Badger rings are too high - I'll need to replace those. I don't want anybody getting nosebleeds trying to see through the Nightforce.

I will say, this thing is going to be a pig to carry anywhere - I gained 15 lbs stepping onto the bathrooms scale with it. It should shoot pretty well off the bench and bipod though, me thinks. I'm currently still waiting on brass and dies - doesn't look like they'll be here until after Christmas - waited too long to order and with the 10-13 inches of snow they're saying we're going to get in the next few days - don't expect to do much til then. I'll be looking for a good stout sling if anyone can recommend one - also does anyone besides Uncle Mikes make swivels for the flush cups? Good quality ones?

Thanks for looking, and for any recommendations. This has been a fun experience, building this thing ( Isa worka so harrrd....) - I'm definitley going to do this again, tho the next one will be lighter.....

The Kaiser

Re: New, from Beanland

love my 6x47L from Jon !

H4350 39.3 to 40.4 and it will shoot !!
Wolf Mag primers
6.5x47 L brass
Forester dies

running my 105 amax at 2.625"

you are gonna love it !!!

Looks great! I am about to pick another new build from him. I almost went 6x47, but went ahead and went with standard 243. I have a feeling your new stick will be quite the hammer. Have fun with it!

Looks great and I am sure it is a shooter. I would look for some lower rings. They look a little to high in your pics.

Eddie

Well, surprise of surprises. My Forster die set showed up on my porch this morning. And I got a call from my son while out running the snowblower, my 200 pcs of Lapua brass showed up at the ex's house (evidently I need to update my address with Bruno's....)

Christmas is looking a bit merrier with each passing hour.......

Good one to you all!

Kaiser Norton

Kaiser,
You can't go wrong with a Beanland build. It looks like you gathered some good parts for Jon to work with. The rifle will shoot, the rest is up to you. Have fun and good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks awsome, but that scope is definitely high. Can you fit it on there with lower rings? </div></div>

Unfortunately, this was all I had on hand for 30mm rings. It'll have to do, until I can't get something else.....

Kaiser Norton

Nice rifle Kaiser. Any chance of a profile shot of the whole rifle and what length was the barrel cut to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OKbow87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great! I am about to pick another new build from him. I almost went 6x47, but went ahead and went with standard 243. I have a feeling your new stick will be quite the hammer. Have fun with it! </div></div>

Since when do you know how sweet Jon's guns turn out, G you know what!!?!!?!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

J/K....

I always love seeing rifles built by Jon!