• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from Hawaii

OldEcho

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2021
Hawaii
Aloha all,

Long time enthusiast looking to learn more on LR shooting. Planning on making a move to CONUS soon as well to take advantage of significantly better shooting areas (looking at Nevada & Utah). Here to learn & enjoy the comradery.

OldEcho

Welcome! I lived on Oahu for 6 years before moving to eastern Oregon. Got to say, still miss it out there, but there are a lot of advantages to living on the mainland. Having an 1100 yard range 15 mins from my place and only $30 a year is a huge perk for a gun nut like myself though!

Reactions: OldEcho
question for both of you guys

are there many ranges at all

topography and per acre cost must make that almost impossible

is there hunting?
if so what?

and hard to get a license etc

thanks

Last edited:

is there hunting?
if so what?

thanks
I wasn’t into long guns when I lived there, but I know scofield barracks and Koneohe both have ranges but they are military.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldEcho and brianf
Kokohead was the only public range I recall on Oahu, and it was pretty basic. Think it was at most a 300 yd range, but memory is fuzzy.
HI gun laws some of the most restrictive in the US, and during my time there I focused more on archery hunting and spearfishing. Left most of my guns at my parents place while I lived there.
Hunting on Oahu was marginal. Some wild pigs and feral goat, but private land was best. Limited public land hunting. Maui, Molokai, and Lanai were my favorite places to hunt axis deer. But again, largely pay to access private land.

Are the pigs and deer “native “ or they fly them in on the private property

They were introduced a long time ago. There were no native game mammals on the islands until European introductions. Mostly feral hogs, mouflon sheep, feral goats, axis deer, Blacktail deer on Kauai, and maybe some fallow deer, but the fallows may have been wiped out at this point.

welcome from delaware

is there hunting?
if so what?

thanks
Many thanks all!

Regarding the range situation here... As mentioned KHSC is the only public range on Oahu, at one point out to just over 400yds. We had target frames at 50, 100, and a couple at 200yds, then various silhouettes/gongs from about 300 out to 400. Some time around 2014 a few people who live near the range allegedly found bullets in their yards and a push to shutdown the range began. The firearms community here fought it pretty hard & managed to keep the range open. However a handful of mitigation mods were required & completed, as well as all the fixed steel targets being removed. So fortunately we still have a range , but it's limited to 50 & 100yds (we can use swinging steel gongs at 100). There a couple ranges available to clubs, Pu'uloa & Schofield, and I believe MCBH still opens it's range occasionally to folks registered with the provost there. There's also a handful of private ranges but those are very limited as open land is quite challenging to come by these days, especially on overcrowded Oahu. I'm not too read in on hunting here in the state but have several friends that hunt on Moloka'i & Kauai. On Oahu it's mostly feral pigs, in fact there's a family of them that hang out in the back of my valley.

Again many thanks for the welcome all!

Reactions: Bigrederic