• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from Maryland

Baron23

Check 6
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    Hi guys – I am brand new to SH and I’m also fairly new to rifle shooting. I do warmly invite you to laugh and make fun of me, my ignorance, and my dumb questions as I post in other threads! LOL Also, yes…I am verbose and will try to not let this turn into a wall of text, but will probably fail.

I’m a long time shotgunner, was a competitive American Skeet shooter for a number of decades, but at 67, with a heinous lumbar, and a few heart attacks in the bank, swinging a 10 lb shotgun 500 times in a weekend in Maryland’s 100+ summer mid-Atlantic heat is just not happening anymore.

So, recently I have taken an interest in rifle shooting and have found long range precision shooting to be a fascinating and engaging subject. I have enjoyed educating myself via content on the net and friends here in Maryland that do long range target shooting and crop damage hunting at range.

But, I don’t know much about rifles…or at least not as compared to shotguns. If a new clay target shooter came up to me and said that they were going to buy a Kolar with 32” barrels, with one look at them I can pretty much tell if this 12 lb gun will be too much for them. And, I know quite a bit about shotgun stock fitting, mount and stance, weight and balance considerations, choke selection, etc. Rifles, not so much.

I do own a nice deer gun that I have also enjoyed shooting at the range. It’s a Remington 5R SS Gen 2 SS in an HS stock in .308 with a 20” barrel and a Harrells brake. It’s a very nice gun and seems to have a good barrel, shoots well, and is a length and weight that I like for this purpose.

But now have started a custom gun build with Robert Gradous in 6.5 Creedmoor on a JAE-700 chassis. This is where you get to laugh at me as the gun I’m planning to build far exceeds my skill level and certainly my knowledge. This is not exactly a bucket list project, but life is short (and the way mine is going it might be very short) and I have decided that I want a gun like this and intend to get some training and challenge myself to grow into it. At a minimum, this ought to keep me occupied for at least a few years!

I have also spent a good bit of time reading threads here and elsewhere and will continue to do so. I have been a member of forums on other sites and I do understand how annoying it can be for a member to not exert enough effort to search the site and internet in general for answers to their questions. I do try…and probably fail at times…to educate myself as best I can before I come with a question.

I have very much enjoyed cruising the site and have found a great deal of super information and expertise.

Thanks from Maryland!

Welcome ! From Eastern Washington !
    Eastern WA state....not DC (haha.....I live in the MD suburbs of the Swamp! haha).

My sister and her husband moved to north Idaho and I had a chance to drive from the Pacific through WA to visit with them....some beautiful country. I stayed overnight in a place called Leavenworth, WA and drove up to Icicle Creek...fabulous area.

Thanks for the welcome!