• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from ohio , east of Columbus.

mrfd217

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Washington CH Ohio
Im new to the forum. I live about 30 minutes east of columbus. New to long range shooting. Went and picked up a cheap rifle. Good scope though. Chambered in 30-06. Wife says if i get good enough i can get the Remington 700 sps iv been looking at. Cant decide if i should go with the 30-06 or 308 win for long range shooting. I want to get good in ranges between 500-800 meters but i want to take it farther like 1000 + some day when i get better. Please give me any advice to this rook you can lol

get a 308 and get it all figured out. when you're ready rebarrel it to a 6.5cr or 260 etc. 30.06 is great cartridge but i think it will be easier for you to get data, ammo, load data etc when you go 308.

you do know there is 2 ranges near you that go to 1k yards+ rayners, and thunder valley.
and your shooting steel. and as Mr Switch says go 308, and then one of the 6.5's, he is sum what up
on this long range stuff:).
and don't what to get better to shoot at 1000+ yards, it's not like your going to wake up
one mourning and say "yep i'm ready to shoot to 1k today i have got the 800 yard and under all
figured out". so get that rifle and head to the said ranges and we will be more then willing to help!
and don't think to yourself i need to get better before i go to a match with all them people there
they might make fun of me, not going to happen, you will have help overload!
plus you will get a chance to see what people are using and what route you my want to take
when you decide to upgrade. see you there.

Wow thank you guys so much for some of the info . I will go 308 most likely and defiantly load once I get the hang of it. JuSt hoping to get the 308 to hit long Distances without a lot of work . Maybe down the road I'll get a 338lpm or whatever. It takes 100% ... 25 gun, 25 scope , 25 finger and 25 person . With those 4 combined I should do ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow thank you guys so much for some of the info . I will go 308 most likely and defiantly load once I get the hang of it. JuSt hoping to get the 308 to hit long Distances without a lot of work . Maybe down the road I'll get a 338lpm or whatever. It takes 100% ... 25 gun, 25 scope , 25 finger and 25 person . With those 4 combined I should do ok.

Meeting up with other shooters at one of those ranges for a day of practice will gather you a LOT of good info and save you on money and time spent getting you on your way to hitting the long steel.

If your only planning on shooting out to 1000 yards or so bigger isn't always necessarily better although it helps when telling others at the local hangout you're using a big magnum and hitting targets at the 'magical" thousand yards.

Good luck, hope to see you at Rayners this Summer. Usually always someone heading to Rayners for a practice day and be glad to help you.

Topstrap

I was invited to Rayners last summer by a member, and it was the most informative day ive had shooting yet. Great guys there, they were all very generous and helpful. Be warned....you WILL go home and immediately dump god awful amounts of HARD EARNED money into this hobby.

I can't wait to get out there and shoot with some of you folks. I was pretty hesitant in getting into this sport because it does cost a lot. And i knew i wouldn't have the best of everything. Like i didnt want to go out there i hear people say " haha he doesn't even have a vortex or night force scope . But i know not all people are like that. I mean yes i know i'll get a good gun and scope sometime down the road. I'm sure you guys have info just seeping out of your pours for the next rooking wanting to learn too lol

I can't wait to get out there and shoot with some of you folks. I was pretty hesitant in getting into this sport because it does cost a lot. And i knew i wouldn't have the best of everything. Like i didnt want to go out there i hear people say " haha he doesn't even have a vortex or night force scope . But i know not all people are like that. I mean yes i know i'll get a good gun and scope sometime down the road. I'm sure you guys have info just seeping out of your pours for the next rooking wanting to learn too lol

Don't let what others think keep you away, they laugh every time we show up at the range with the stuff we shoot. No big dollar stuff in our equipment line and a lot of the guys we shoot with. Come on out and have some fun and shoot what ya have. Most everyone you'll meet is great and the ones that aren't usually aren't the ones you'll learn from anyway, they like to keep their Ninja secrets to themselves and dazzle you with fancy terminology that I'm still trying to decipher. Bring lots of ammo and keep in touch. There is usually always someone heading out to Rayners even thru the week for a practice day.

Topstrap

Last edited:
Rayner's guys and gals are great people!!

Thank you! I'll get there sooner or later. This isnt one of those sports you should just give up.. It cost as much as your willing to put into it. I cant wait to go out to Rayner's . Still saving my penny's for a new build .

Don't let what others think keep you away, they laugh every time we show up at the range with the stuff we shoot. No big dollar stuff in our equipment line and a lot of the guys we shoot with. Come on out and have some fun and shoot what ya have. Most everyone you'll meet is great and the ones that aren't usually aren't the ones you'll learn from anyway, they like to keep their Ninja secrets to themselves and dazzle you with fancy terminology that I'm still trying to decipher. Bring lots of ammo and keep in touch. There is usually always someone heading out to Rayners even thru the week for a practice day.

Topstrap

i figured a lot of people that spent the time and money to get out there actually had a lot of good equipment. Since i'm new to all of this im not putting a great deal of money in to it right away. A little here a little there. But i am glad most of the people out there are not jerks and make fun of others. What do you own and shoot topstrap?